Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms that the FSD sneak peak is for car with HW3 only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have genuine sympathy for the folks that paid early for FSD and still don't have the hardware to run it. That said, I don't understand the argument that those users still expect to get it first, regardless of what they feel they were promised. I believe there are some harsh realities that are being ignored;

• Tesla is still barely hanging on by the skin of their teeth, as we can see from the quarter to quarter swings in their financials. Elon stated at the autonomy event that they're running profit neutral until the robo fleet is deployed.
  • It costs money to build and install HW3 in HW2.5 vehicles. I don't see how they have the money (or resources likely) to start a mass upgrade program right now, regardless of what people feel they were promised.
  • HW3 is required for FSD, no two ways around this.
  • In order to get the robo fleet deployed, FSD has to be in place so getting HW3 running as much of the FSD code as possible, as soon as possible, is critical to the company's survival IMO.
  • Given all this, I have to think they are VERY motivated to get as many HW3 cars out there and running native HW3 code, that's how they get to FSD, through the data that hundred of thousands of cars provide.
Would you rather Tesla is around to deliver on FSD or that they go out of business trying to upgrade 2.5 to 3.0?

Again, I understand people feel betrayed that they bought with the expectation of being the first owners of FSD cars, I happen to believe that Elon sincerely believed they would be at the time, and learned differently since. One thing we can all agree on, he's a very optimistic chap, especially when it comes to timelines :)

That "robo fleet" is a pipe dream still. We won't see it for 10 years at least, if they don't abandon the idea and it won't be running with any car trim level that is currently being manufactured. When the current leases on Model 3 are up they will open up the option to buy out the car, because they won't want to deal with all the used cars.

Found this clip on reddit with Eli Burton and Alex Guberman. Eli says that he has a friend in EA who got the FSD sneak preview. He describes it as "street level autopilot" and says it will "blow people's minds" in a couple weeks when videos come out.

FSD Sneak Preview is gonna " to blow people minds" - Reddit

It is second hand hearsay so who knows. But if true, it sounds like the FSD sneak preview could be AP3 specific code for the "automatic city driving" feature.

Which turned out to be a lie.

When the current leases on Model 3 are up they will open up the option to buy out the car, because they won't want to deal with all the used cars.

I think that depends on where demand is.

If it's still higher than supply I think they'd be more than happen to take the cars at no cost to themselves other than logistics, add software unlocks that cost them nothing to upgrade them, then sell them for a nice profit to a market where inventory flies off the shelves.

I’m a principal software engineer/architect who’s developed ML solutions used on hundreds of millions of devices, and I study this space closely. There’s absolutely no basis for claiming Tesla’s shadow mode is “limited” - it’s literally the state of the art and leading how many (including some of our teams at Microsoft) have been approaching AI/ML feedback loops and “intelligent edge” solutions.

No Kool-Aid needed, I just know what I’m talking about and obviously you do not.
"Don't you know who I am?" :p

I suggest you try to find someone who has looked deeper into the Tesla firmware if you really want to know what they are doing ...

Tesla is not the only company working on full self drive, just that Elon like to tease on twitter doesn’t mean whatever he said is a lie. It is work in progress, i do feel Tesla’s autopilot improves a lot for the past two years!

No, the lie was the reporting about a friend who had the update already and it would blow your mind. Even Elon said it wasn't released yet at that time, and it did not live up to the reporting.

So, I have 50.1 installed and new visualizations work as advertised, but there is one very annoying (to me) issue... :confused: The MAX speed indicator, normally a blue ring, with speed limited contained within when active, remains a gray circle with speed limit within, when not activated. This gray icon blocks the stoplight visualizations. I noticed this gray ring and speed limit indicator an update or two ago and now want to turn this off somehow as it really screws up the new stoplight visualizations. :mad: Question: Anyone know how to turn this crap off? :confused::)

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
Nobody promised anyone a sneak preview of FSD when you bought it. It’s just a bonus for those with HW3. I suspect that if this preview is limited functionality then it only helps the early adopters when they get their retrofit, because Tesla can grab all that data from us HW3 owners early and give pre-HW3 owners the benefit of that knowledge.
Let me see if I can read @pilotSteve mind here.........Bah Humbug!

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
Sometimes some gifts are available only to some people. In this instance, it appears that Tesla is able to offer an experience to some owners and not tomothwr owners because of technology differences.

It seems the choice was whether to offer it to some people or to no one. Tesla choose to make it available to some.

I have FSD (June 2019 delivery). I haven’t bothered to check whether I have HW2 or HW3. I don’t know whether Canadian Tesla owners with HW3 will get this experience. So I don’t know whether I will get this experience. But I don’t understand begrudging those American Tesla owners who will get the experience.

I'm in UK with MS HW3. No FSD preview for me! Got the other stuff.... Not a gamer and the TRAX music 'game' too unresponsive imo to me much fun. Suspension options might be useable.

All I begrudge is that the release notes never give a complete story so you are always left wondering if you somehow missed out on something you should have got. If you get a feature, then you know you got it. If you read about features that might apply to you but you don't see them install on your car, you just have to assume missing features are not coming your way.

It’s a demonstration of their progress and a good way to get early feedback from customers. Not really sure what you’re trying to say, but this is definitely work that accrues to FSD development.

I've had my m3 for about 3months, now; and I'm happy to see this update and the progress it *shows*.

most of us can't know what's happening under the covers, in C code (etc), but seeing this really does help. I'm glad they are doing it this way. more updates, the better, as long as they let us choose. I'd even like to see 3 update paths: a stable (don't ever force me); a tested beta; and a fresh mostly-tested beta with very new features. and a rollback feature; they really do need that so that updates are 'safe' from a customer POV.

Some people are indeed impressed by the new visualizations.

for me, I'm impressed seeing them. I can now get a feel for how well they are detected and accurate, as I try this feature out. I'm getting somewhat close to pulling the trigger on buying FSD, so I am paying close attention to each new update; especially the ones that offer real changes in functionality.

I work in the EV field and I have some small idea how hard it is to pull all this off. tesla is doing a good job, from this customer's POV. sure, its taking time, but its NOT a trivial task to get beyond level 2.

for me, I'm impressed seeing them. I can now get a feel for how well they are detected and accurate, as I try this feature out. I'm getting somewhat close to pulling the trigger on buying FSD, so I am paying close attention to each new update; especially the ones that offer real changes in functionality.

I work in the EV field and I have some small idea how hard it is to pull all this off. tesla is doing a good job, from this customer's POV. sure, its taking time, but its NOT a trivial task to get beyond level 2.
The detection of stoplights and stop signs appears to be pretty solid. I am impressed by the accuracy. But in my short drive yesterday I'm left with some questions.

1 - It seems that it's only seeing the stop signs and stop lights from a relatively short distance. I'm curious as to how far out the car is going to react to these signs and signals. It's fine if you're going 35mph but what about when going 45/50+? It seems like the stops are going to be extremely abrupt.

2 - I noticed a few times where AP saw the stoplight and then it became obstructed at which point the light visualization stopped. What's going to happen when the car sees a green light and then it become obstructed? Same for when it sees red and then becomes obstructed?

And lastly, I remain frustrated that AP still has issues staying in the proper Lane in certain situations (usually when the lane lines break through a curve of some sort). They've GOT to fix this before they start rolling out any other features for city FSD. This is the most dangerous flaw I've seen in the car to date. It will flat out swerve into a car beside you because it thinks the lanes are shifting. In my opinion, solving this needs to be priority one.