Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking that maybe there's a method to Elon's madness. He's antagonizing the Canadian government so he can claim bias if there are any restrictions on FSD Beta in Canada.
I also think there should be a tinfoil hat emoji.
There is definitely "some" method to madness.

He went to the "dark" side on Covid after Fremont factory shutdown that if continues would have gravely damaged Tesla's finances. He is also a "libertarian" like many in the Silicon Valley. So, combined we see highly contradictory behavior, where,
- He lashes out against any kind of Covid related regulation (because that hurts Tesla and fits with libertarian ideology)
- He is completely mum when it comes to how China handles Covid (because it helps Tesla, even though highly anti-libertarian)

I wish he would quit all the political Tweeting. While he is a genius he is "no Einstein" when it comes to relations. Anytime you resort to using Hitler as a reference to others you are clearly way beyond reasonable behavior.
Since I mostly agree with his political views, I'd hope he continues with his political light saber swinging. I didn't study the Elon Hitler thing, but doesn't sound good.
If Elon continues down the political path I would hope that would make selling and delivering Tesla's in every state legal.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Elon's comments in the Lex Fridman interview were around v11 being a regression at first, so I can only imagine this will lead to disappointment as people assume it means a massive step forward right off the hop

There should be underlying fundamental changes that could be 💥 after things are trained up again. Or maybe it will be a huge leap, who knows

Just to reassure the stockholders, no matter which way v11 goes, the recent recalls and NHTSA and European regulator investigations are giving Tesla all the cover it needs to pull FSD Beta (Autosteer on City Streets) from testing/development without having to admit defeat or rollback any promises.

I imagine Elon will tweet something like "The next version is not only mind blowing, but <insert wildly optimistic feature prediction here>. Unfortunately, regulators have shut it down so we won't be able to roll out FSD for the foreseeable future."

Reactions: impastu
Just to reassure the stockholders, no matter which way v11 goes, the recent recalls and NHTSA and European regulator investigations are giving Tesla all the cover it needs to pull FSD Beta (Autosteer on City Streets) from testing/development without having to admit defeat or rollback any promises.

I imagine Elon will tweet something like "The next version is not only mind blowing, but <insert wildly optimistic feature prediction here>. Unfortunately, regulators have shut it down so we won't be able to roll out FSD for the foreseeable future."

And now some nonsense from the other side :)

NHTSA has no rules whatsoever regulating L2 ADAS systems currently.

Full L5 self driving is already legal in over half a dozen US states- just nobody has a system they trust to say it will do it.

"regulators" are a red herring of nonsense on both sides of this debate regarding "any" rollout.

They might well be relevant in SPECIFIC places (the EU looms largest here), but not from the all or none perspective.

I totally agree it's a red herring, but I don't think that fact will prevent Elon/Tesla from using it to extract themselves from the intractable position of L5 FSD robotaxis by "end of year" that they have put themselves in.

But that makes no sense.

First- this is hardly the first year they've mentioned RTs by end of a year and failed to deliver.

Second- using a legal excuse that isn't legal doesn't "extract" you from anything

I see v11 is going to go
1645545790438.png
B O O M !. Hopefully that car crash gets caught on AV.

• Funny
Reactions: impastu
But that makes no sense.

First- this is hardly the first year they've mentioned RTs by end of a year and failed to deliver.

Second- using a legal excuse that isn't legal doesn't "extract" you from anything
Well it makes perfect sense to me! :)

Perhaps the term "extract" is problematic. I am not suggesting that using the "regulators shut us down" excuse removes any legal obligations at all - only that it may allow Tesla to save face from a public perspective and mitigate any hit to the stock price if and when it becomes apparent that L5 FSD and robotaxi won't happen.

As far as comparison with previous years of predictions, IMO we are much closer now to a point where, instead of local maxima, Tesla is realizing that many of the current FSD limitations may be the result of limits of the existing technology and it's no longer simply a matter of "harder than everyone expected" anymore. I think there is a distinct possibility that Tesla may "throw in the towel" over the coming months - at least in regard to the current hardware and sensor platform - and the "regulators shut us down" excuse is the perfect way for Tesla to accomplish this. And again, the recent recalls and investigations makes it a good time right now to consider this option.

Another possibility is that they lock FSD in at some level of limited functionality, pop the champagne, and call it done. But if it still doesn't technically qualify as L3 (much less L5/robotaxi) then that approach doesn't have the same face-saving advantages as saying the "regulators" killed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: daktari and impastu
I have to assume FSD Beta v11 is 💥 just like the 2020 Holiday update was 🔥🔥. In other words, not much of anything. Elon's tweets have nothing to do with reality.

I think Elon is easily impressed. The team will show him the changes and he is mighty impressed and tweets out like this. How the customers see the changes can be different. I’ve definitely seen this happen in my releases as well.

BTW, @WholeMarsBlog couldn't possibly have chosen a more ridiculous (and disgusting) musical track for that video. :rolleyes:

Don’t tempt fate or Whole Mars will prove you wrong in the next video.

Well it makes perfect sense to me! :)

Perhaps the term "extract" is problematic. I am not suggesting that using the "regulators shut us down" excuse removes any legal obligations at all - only that it may allow Tesla to save face from a public perspective and mitigate any hit to the stock price if and when it becomes apparent that L5 FSD and robotaxi won't happen.

At autonomy day (Apr 2019) the stock price was about $50 a share. Elon expected RTs approved for use by end of 2020.

It's now early 2022, and the stock price is over $800 a share.

Doesn't seem like missing RT deadlines is hurting em much.

As far as comparison with previous years of predictions, IMO we are much closer now to a point where, instead of local maxima, Tesla is realizing that many of the current FSD limitations may be the result of limits of the existing technology and it's no longer simply a matter of "harder than everyone expected" anymore.

Tesla was still citing the local maximum issue as recently as a couple months ago, with the new rewrite (not even yet released) being the next "solution" for it- so I don't think they've given up on that approach at all.

I think there is a distinct possibility that Tesla may "throw in the towel" over the coming months - at least in regard to the current hardware and sensor platform - and the "regulators shut us down" excuse is the perfect way for Tesla to accomplish this. And again, the recent recalls and investigations makes it a good time right now to consider this option.

Yeah, don't see it, especially since it'd be objectively untrue (the regulator bit)

We already know there's HW4 and next-gen cameras incoming-- remains to be see how easily they can retrofit those on existing cars... (so far they've had no issue, other than being bad at logistics scheduling, upgrading HW2.0 cars for both cameras and computers).

That doesn't mean that HW "solves" FSD either... but given nobody else seems remotely close in a consumer-buyable car it gives Tesla a lot more runway to keep iterating.

(and I also don't think they can get past L2, on city streets anyway, with the current HW-- they might could do L3 highway right now though- or L4 highway with relatively narrow ODDs related to weather and such)

Another possibility is that they lock FSD in at some level of limited functionality, pop the champagne, and call it done. But if it still doesn't technically qualify as L3 (much less L5/robotaxi) then that approach doesn't have the same face-saving advantages as saying the "regulators" killed it.

For everyone who bought after March 2019 L2 is all they're owed.

Deliver city streets driving at L2, those folks are whole- legally. (though they'll doubtless whine quite a bit about elons tweets)

Everyone who bought before is still owed something- either L4 or a refund with interest.