Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like Musk is saying that the final solution is itself a local maximum, whenever that happens, which makes sense as I don't think one can prove that FSD Version VeryHighNumber.xyz will never kill someone, just high odds against it happening.
No - he is just saying V10 is better than V9.2 etc. But its local i.e. it is not the best they can get to (in the future).

Reactions: sfuape
In the left turn scenario what Musk writes makes perfect sense. Obviously the car should make sure there is nobody behind before reversing (like most humans do).
No, that looks like a scenario where a pedestrian might walk behind you.
Remember the car can do the worst possible thing at the worst possible time which would suggest to me that it might not recognize a pedestrian behind you. Seems implausible that most drivers would know that they also have to monitor the situation behind them in the left turn scenario in the video. Maybe it could be done by the best drivers with enough training but it sounds super difficult to me...

In the left turn scenario what Musk writes makes perfect sense. Obviously the car should make sure there is nobody behind before reversing (like most humans do).
But then if the car's nose is now in the cross traffic lane, it could get clobbered if the driver or AI finally sees that it is not clear. In reality, with no FSD, the human driver inches out until they can see and sometimes, when they can finally see, it is an "oh crap!" situation. No good solution there, other than to take a different route next time.

Elon mentioning that FSD 10 already predicts height from pixels without classification. Very interesting.

Anyone know what this exactly means? We’ve already seen from some FSD videos, V10 trying to hit road closure signs and other obstacles. Elon’s saying that it wouldn’t even hit the debris of a UFO…but we have video proof that it’ll still hit things it doesn’t recognize

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Anyone know what this exactly means? We’ve already seen from some FSD videos, V10 trying to hit road closure signs and other obstacles. Elon’s saying that it wouldn’t even hit the debris of a UFO…but we have video proof that it’ll still hit things it doesn’t recognize

Elon is saying that Beta 10 has NN that can detect height of objects just from pixels. So in theory, it should be able to know that something is there even if does know what it is. But Elon says that it needs work. So it is not reliable yet. Hence, why FSD beta will still hit unknown objects.

Reactions: momo3605
I think he's talking about the VIDAR neural net (depth information in arbitrary scenes using cameras). My impression is that it's there but they're not using it yet. Maybe they're having problems with sensor fusion, if one NN says there's a sign in the middle of the road and one doesn't which do you believe?:p

For proof we would require the car to actually hit something. Otherwise Tesla could claim the car would have stopped.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
No, that looks like a scenario where a pedestrian might walk behind you.
Remember the car can do the worst possible thing at the worst possible time which would suggest to me that it might not recognize a pedestrian behind you. Seems implausible that most drivers would know that they also have to monitor the situation behind them in the left turn scenario in the video. Maybe it could be done by the best drivers with enough training but it sounds super difficult to me...
You're implying that only problems get added and no solutions.

Damn, that monorail video is extremely sketchy. Why does FSD Beta decide to YOLO across two solid lines between monorail pillars? That can't be legal or safe.
I am not 100% sure about the legality, but I'm sure it can be done safely. There are lines and no curbs for a reason: it is decided that it's a drivable space. This does not imply legal, just as much as the wrong way is drivable and illegal. But there are times where it's perfectly fine AND legal to use that space, like when a car is broken on your lane or some road maintenance is going on. Or that Amazon delivery van.

We have a street that Ts into another street. Turning left requires me to look both ways and determine the speed of the oncoming cars, check for a gap big enough to squeeze into with cars doing near 60 mph, and do it quickly so I don't slow down oncoming traffic. Unless Musk has cameras facing left and right at the front of the car, this won't happen. This is a common turn scenario, and I don't see it handled by FSD soon.

This is why FSD is supposed to be used on four lane two way roads with limited access. There is little reason to drive with FSD in town, but a lot of reason to drive with FSD on a freeway or highway.

Reactions: tmoz
We have a street that Ts into another street. Turning left requires me to look both ways and determine the speed of the oncoming cars, check for a gap big enough to squeeze into with cars doing near 60 mph, and do it quickly so I don't slow down oncoming traffic. Unless Musk has cameras facing left and right at the front of the car, this won't happen. This is a common turn scenario, and I don't see it handled by FSD soon.

This is why FSD is supposed to be used on four lane two way roads with limited access. There is little reason to drive with FSD in town, but a lot of reason to drive with FSD on a freeway or highway.
Can you link us to a map of this intersection? I have one that's similar, northbound here:

Any sources or wishful thinking?
Sources that HW4 is coming next year? Additional cameras? I don't know if it is wishful thinking or common sense that they would move to improve a difficult situation. Perhaps both.
Andrej and Elon sounded pretty confident with today's cameras.
Confidence is irrelevant to system improvements. They can be confident all they want, doesn't mean it can't be made easier for the system to handle with more cameras.
Another data point: Tesla likes to copy Mobileye. Tesla copied Mobileye with exact 8 camera set up. Will Tesla copy again and move to Mobileye's 11-12 camera setup? @Bladerskb

Last edited:
Confidence is irrelevant to system improvements.
Confidence from the leaders affect design, so if they're confident (and wrong) that FSD can operate without side bumper cameras, then FSD will faultily operate without those cameras. Therefore their confidence is, for me, the strongest known factor on this topic - that there won't be additional cameras.

Don't get me wrong, part of me wants more input. But another part of me want to see them pull that off without the cameras and prove the non-believers wrong. I'll be happy with either, honestly - as long as there's a retrofit haha

Another data point: Tesla likes to copy Mobileye. Tesla copied Mobileye with exact 8 camera set up. Will Tesla copy again and move to Mobileye's 12 camera setup?
I did not know that. On the other hand, Tesla defied all the LiDAR approaches and, to my understanding, have a better software stack now.
So, time will tell, they'll either surrender or prove the haters wrong. But again, as long as there's progress, I'm celebrating!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life