Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be clear, North America consists of 23 countries. Is that what Elon meant?

United States, Mexico, Canada,
Guatemala, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Belize, Bahamas, Barbados, Saint Lucia, Grenada, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Saint Kitts and Nevis

If he just meant United States and Canada, then can FSD Beta still be driven in the other countries, assuming you could get your car there?
Take your best guess and reduce expectations by 99% ;)

Reactions: momo3605 and DanCar
I'll have a good laugh when I see my first funky FSDb characteristics from a Tesla on the road - stop 30ft before an intersection, creep, brake too late, phantom brake, indecisive steering, etc.
I drive behind @AlanSubie4Life a fair amount and it's honestly not that easy to tell though I think it's because he has his foot constantly on the accelerator and disengages often. The randomly flashing high beams are pretty funny though.

I'm definitely laying on the horn if I see a Tesla stop 30ft before an intersection. Need to train the system!

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow and DanCar
Exactly what accomplishment?
(Insert sarcasm)-Yay, now everyone who wants it gets to use not-really self driving self driving software. Wow. Amazing. All they did was remove safety score as a barrier to entry. The system is as bad as ever.
For you, perhaps. Works fine for me, and fine for many of the FSD Beta users out there. The increasing number of 0 disengagement videos on YouTube showing how the program is improving supports that.

For you, perhaps. Works fine for me, and fine for many of the FSD Beta users out there. The increasing number of 0 disengagement videos on YouTube showing how the program is improving supports that.
Having been testing FSDb for a year, I've seen it go from jerking the wheel on simple right turns to being able to safely make unprotected lefts across multiple lanes of busy traffic. And all using only cameras. Despite the software still needing various capabilities and still not being perfect, I am amazed every time I get in the car at how well it works. Freaking magic.

Guatemala, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Belize, Bahamas, Barbados, Saint Lucia, Grenada, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Saint Kitts and Nevis

If he just meant United States and Canada, then can FSD Beta still be driven in the other countries, assuming you could get your car there?
B1C4A4C3-AC86-4570-B7A0-EAEF18DE688D.png

Cue the media to misinform this wide release.

• After painstakingly working on FSD Beta for two years, Tesla has reached the point where the software can provide greater safety than a human driver [editor: not proven, ASAIK]
  • [Tesla says, correctly] While our vehicles require active driver supervision and are not fully autonomous today
  • FSD Beta enables Tesla vehicles to drive autonomously [editor: no it is not autonomous] to a destination entered in the car’s navigation system, but the driver needs to remain vigilant and ready to take control at all times
  • FSD Beta allows Tesla vehicles to drive autonomously to a destination
  • Just as promised, Elon Musk took to Twitter to unveil the general availability of Tesla's FSD Beta autonomous driving service to anyone in North America who wants to buy it.
  • no matter how good Tesla's autonomous driving software is compared to the competition, it is still mandated as a Level 3 solution [editor: NOT Level 3] that will require driver's attendance for the foreseeable future

Teslarati has a good statement:
"Tesla owners who are only starting out with FSD Beta are advised to be extremely cautious when operating the system. While FSD Beta allows vehicles to navigate both inner city streets and highways, it is not a hands-free autonomous driving solution at its current state. Thus, drivers must still be ready to take over their vehicles’ controls at any time, similar to Basic Autopilot. FSD Beta users could also be suspended if the system detects improper use."

The exceptions to wide release aren't noted:
  • People on MCU1
  • People who have software verisons above 2022.40
  • People who have too many strikes?
  • Possibly people outside USA, Canada (but still inside North America)?
  • Are there any other categories?

"Wide" could still mean not everyone but Elon does say "available to anyone in North America who requests it from the car screen, assuming you have bought this option". So Elon says everyone.

Reactions: EVNow

I guess Hawaii doesn’t get the public release of FSD Beta then? It’s not in North America.

Reactions: KrazinAz
I guess Hawaii doesn’t get the public release of FSD Beta then? It’s not in North America.
Sure it's in North America, it's just far, and an island chain. There are lots of islands in the USA and Canada, some are also quite far. What about Baffin Island, though IDK if there are any Teslas there with FSD Beta either.

It's all my fault for bringing up this nitpick in the first place ;)

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
I drive behind @AlanSubie4Life a fair amount and it's honestly not that easy to tell though I think it's because he has his foot constantly on the accelerator and disengages often. The randomly flashing high beams are pretty funny though.

I'm definitely laying on the horn if I see a Tesla stop 30ft before an intersection. Need to train the system!
DirtyTesla had a video of 2 Tesla's driving one behind the other. It was difficult for them to tell whether the other Tesla was on FSDb at any point.

BTW, several times I've got a "thank you" hand raise from other drivers and pedestrians. They definitely couldn't tell FSDb was driving - and not me.

BUT, if you are an experienced FSDb driver, you can probably make out some signs under particular circumstances.

Reactions: kriskros91
Sure it's in North America, it's just far, and an island chain. There are lots of islands in the USA and Canada, some are also quite far. What about Baffin Island, though IDK if there are any Teslas there with FSD Beta either.

It's all my fault for bringing up this nitpick in the first place ;)

Hawaii (/həˈwaɪi/ (listen) hə-WY-ee; Hawaiian: Hawaiʻi [həˈvɐjʔi] or [həˈwɐjʔi]) is a state in the Western United States, located in the Pacific Ocean about 2,000 miles (3,200 km) from the U.S. mainland. It is the only U.S. state outside North America

🙂

It's funny how many people say the "the software is improving rapidly". I beg to differ. It's been two years, and they are still at very low levels of miles/DE. As previous efforts have proven, development have an S-curve, it gets very costly to improve the system to the levels of a human. My guess is "autonomous never" at this pace unfortunately.

It's funny how many people say the "the software is improving rapidly". I beg to differ. It's been two years, and they are still at very low levels of miles/DE. As previous efforts have proven, development have an S-curve, it gets very costly to improve the system to the levels of a human. My guess is "autonomous never" at this pace unfortunately.
I would disagree. While I frequently criticize FSD and will continue when needed there has been significantly improvement for me in the last year. A lot depends on what level of autonomous you're expecting which I think explains varying responses to FSD. I now have many zero disengagement drives.
A year ago it was the opposite. A zero disengagement drive then was unusual and only happened on short drives.