Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Name one expert that has said camera-only autonomy will happen in the coming years.

There has been a lot of "experts" doing marketing. MobilEye hasn't claimed autonomy for camera-only for the last 3-4 years. Measuring the distance physically rather than guessing from a 2D image gives you a lot of extra safety for a relatively low cost.

Freeway stop and go isn't a meaningful ODD imho, but I agree it may be doable in 3-5 years. The main question is why would you want to do it with camera only. It makes no business sense if you are liable and can 10x MTBF for $500 p.u.
Did I miss something? When did camera only autonomy happen?
Mobileye has been showing camera only self driving systems for years. They just claim that they’ll use a parallel LiDAR based system to achieve the necessary reliability.
They achieved camera only before Tesla:

Reactions: DanCar
James Douma, Andrej Karpathy, Kilian Weinberger to name 3.
Give me a break. James Douma is a Tesla youtuber that has zero items on his resume that makes him an expert on anything except PhoneGap. AK hasn't said anything about a date or "soon". He has said vague things like "i think it's possible at some point" (which may be in 100 years). Hit me with that Weinberger quote please.
BTW still waiting for a citation of your "supervised system is less safe than a human" claim.
There are 40-50 years of research that I can point to. Automation complacency is a real thing. Here is one random paper: Complacency and bias in human use of automation: an attentional integration - PubMed
They do state they intend to add a second radar/lidar system as a redundant backup- but are very clear as per quote above it can be autonomous with camera only.
ME says they will not do camera-only for AV, because it's not safe enough for autonomy. Autonomous isn't "can drive". It is "drives safely and 'never' crashes".

Last edited:
Did I miss something? When did camera only autonomy happen?
Mobileye has been showing camera only self driving systems for years. They just claim that they’ll use a parallel LiDAR based system to achieve the necessary reliability.
They achieved camera only before Tesla:
They appear to be using HD map data. The visualization is clearly rendering sections of the road that are not in view of the car. Tesla's feat is that they're using vision not only for object recognition, but also lanes and road edges.

Reactions: sleepydoc
AK hasn't said anything about a date or "soon".

PENALTY! MOVING THE GOALPOSTS!

You asked for any experts that say you can do autonomy with only vision in the coming years. Which AK does.

NOW you're insisting he ALSO had to give a specific date or at least specifically say "soon"? Nonsense BS argument style my dude.

Hit me with that Weinberger quote please.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has been vocal in his criticism of lidar due to its high cost and has instead advocated for a “pure vision” approach. That’s controversial due to the lack of redundancy that comes with relying on a single sensor. But the rationale is clear, says Kilian Weinberger, an associate professor at Cornell University who works on computer vision for autonomous vehicles.

“Cameras are dirt cheap compared to lidar,” he says. “By doing this they can put this technology into all the cars they’re selling. If they sell 500,000 cars all of these cars are driving around collecting data for them.”

Data is the lifeblood of the machine learning systems at the heart of self-driving technology. Tesla’s big bet, says Weinberger, is that the mountain of video its fleet amasses will help it reach full autonomy faster than the smaller amount of lidar data its competitors relying on a small number of more sensor-laden cars driven by employees.

There are 40-50 years of research that I can point to. Automation complacency is a real thing. Here is one random paper: Complacency and bias in human use of automation: an attentional integration - PubMed

The link only tells us compacency exists with automation. It does not tell us it's WORSE than human only, as you claimed.

So again, can you provide evidence your actual claim is true? And especially that it's true for Teslas system, because of course all automation systems will have different levels of safety, bias, user attentiveness monitoring, etc....

(I suspect you can't, but you'll flail around a good while trying to move goalposts again to avoid admitting it)

ME says they will not do camera-only for AV, because it's not safe enough for autonomy. Autonomous isn't "can drive". It is "drives safely and 'never' crashes".

No, it's really not.

If you think otherwise please show me the "never crashes" requirement in SAEJ3016 defining autonomous driving systems?
(spoiler: it ain't there)

For that mater- do HUMANS drive autonomously? Because they sure crash more than never.

Maybe you wanna re-think this whole line of arguement?

ME says they can do camera only autonomy. They're still saying it today and I cited to the web link where they say it today.

So this appears to be another factually untrue claim we have debunked now.

PENALTY! MOVING THE GOALPOSTS!

You asked for any experts that say you can do autonomy with only vision in the coming years. Which AK does.

NOW you're insisting he ALSO had to give a specific date or at least specifically say "soon"? Nonsense BS argument style my dude.
No. English is not my first language, but "coming years" to me is at most 3-5 years. Again, let me know when you find a single scientist that says camera only autonomy will likely happen before 2030, or even commit to a date. You won't even find a Tesla employee or a person with vested interest such as AK saying such things. How come do you reckon?

All he says is that it's Teslas big bet... Why are you implying that he says its solvable? in the coming years?

The people at DeepMind surely don't believe in camera-only... So your only source is James Douma? A Youtuber with zero experience with computer vision and ML on his CV? Are you going to say Dr Know-it-all next, or perhaps man up and admit you can't find a credible person with a CV to prove it that thinks camera only is happening before 2030. Or a direct quote with a link, pretty please.

The link only tells us compacency exists with automation. It does not tell us it's WORSE than human only, as you claimed.

So again, can you provide evidence your actual claim is true? And especially that it's true for Teslas system, because of course all automation systems will have different levels of safety, bias, user attentiveness monitoring, etc....

(I suspect you can't, but you'll flail around a good while trying to move goalposts again to avoid admitting it)
Again, I linked to a random article This is a well-researched area. Do you dispute that automation complacency is a thing? If not, its easy to understand that the system is the performance bottle neck. And if the system is less safe than a human, then that's how safe the combination is when the system is good enough and complacency sets in.

See this text by Dr Phil Koopman: Tech Roadmap for Automakers Disillusioned With Robotaxis | The Ojo-Yoshida Report (see in particular the graph titled Lower Supervisablility in Unsafe Road testing).

Have you heard the expression "moral crumple zone"? Moral Crumple Zones: Cautionary Tales in Human-Robot Interaction (pre-print)
If you think otherwise please show me the "never crashes" requirement in SAEJ3016 defining autonomous driving systems?

So this appears to be another factually untrue claim we have debunked now.
I put 'never' in quotes, as was obviously talking about a system that has superhuman capacity or at least very high MTBF, which I am sure you understood and you just happened to remove when quoting me...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bladerskb
There are three camps:

1) Vision Only - this is based on how the transportation world was engineered around humans with vision only. They believe, with sufficient neural net processing, they can achieve computer-controlled driving with cameras alone, similar to how a human drives with eyes alone.

2) Multi Sensor Suite - this is based on experts thinking that computer processing and neural nets are not enough to handle vision alone, and the car requires additional input that humans do not have biologic access to, such as lidar, radar, and sonar. By fusing these sensor inputs together, a virtual map of the world around the vehicle can be achieved with pinpoint accuracy.

3) Not Possible - this is the group of experts that think autonomy is not possible at all, as the world around us was created by humans for humans to navigate and it is only because of our highly evolved brain that we can do so. Computer technology will never achieve equality with the human brain, and therefore autonomous driving is impossible.

There are also 3 types of TMC users:

1) Uneducated/Uninformed - these are the people who have joined the Tesla car family without any understanding of AI/Autonomy and saw a video or read an article about how Tesla is attempting ADAS functions. They don't know how/why it works and are reading articles/debates here on TMC and forming an opinion based on new information from their driving experience and the various information they glean from TMC.

2) On The Fence - these are people who have read and understand the various facets of ADAS and autonomy, but do not subscribe to one particular viewpoint or the other, or they are leaning towards a camp but have not fully embraced it. These users can be swayed by logical arguments made here and in various videos / articles to join one camp or another. Their opinions evolve based on the merit of a particular argument.

3) Entrenched - these are the users who have done the research, watched the expert videos, read the compelling arguments here on TMC, and have joined their camp. They firmly believe their camp is correct and no amount of argument, logical or otherwise, will dissuade them from their opinion.

All the debate on TMC is fun to watch, and I hope that people in the first two types can use the discussions to help form their opinion and educate themselves on the complexities of the world they've just entered. That's the goal - help the #1 and #2 type people.

It's human nature to attempt to persuade others to your thinking, but the issue is when two entrenched people assume the other is on the fence and attempt to evolve their opinion. It's futile - but definitely fun to watch as a spectator. :)

There are three camps:

1) Vision Only - this is based on how the transportation world was engineered around humans with vision only. They believe, with sufficient neural net processing, they can achieve computer-controlled driving with cameras alone, similar to how a human drives with eyes alone.

2) Multi Sensor Suite - this is based on experts thinking that computer processing and neural nets are not enough to handle vision alone, and the car requires additional input that humans do not have biologic access to, such as lidar, radar, and sonar. By fusing these sensor inputs together, a virtual map of the world around the vehicle can be achieved with pinpoint accuracy.

3) Not Possible - this is the group of experts that think autonomy is not possible at all, as the world around us was created by humans for humans to navigate and it is only because of our highly evolved brain that we can do so. Computer technology will never achieve equality with the human brain, and therefore autonomous driving is impossible.
Nice summary. Assuming you're talking about L5 and before 2030, I am definitely in the the "not possible" camp. L4 multi-sensory is already here. and L3 multi-sensory too in trivial ODD:s at low speed.

For L5 camera only, I argue no one is in that camp. Again, please find me a credible non-CEO person in the field that says they believe it will happen before 2030. On Tesla HW3? Absolutely no one believes that.

There are also 3 types of TMC users:

1) Uneducated/Uninformed - these are the people who have joined the Tesla car family without any understanding of AI/Autonomy and saw a video or read an article about how Tesla is attempting ADAS functions. They don't know how/why it works and are reading articles/debates here on TMC and forming an opinion based on new information from their driving experience and the various information they glean from TMC.

2) On The Fence - these are people who have read and understand the various facets of ADAS and autonomy, but do not subscribe to one particular viewpoint or the other, or they are leaning towards a camp but have not fully embraced it. These users can be swayed by logical arguments made here and in various videos / articles to join one camp or another. Their opinions evolve based on the merit of a particular argument.

3) Entrenched - these are the users who have done the research, watched the expert videos, read the compelling arguments here on TMC, and have joined their camp. They firmly believe their camp is correct and no amount of argument, logical or otherwise, will dissuade them from their opinion.

All the debate on TMC is fun to watch, and I hope that people in the first two types can use the discussions to help form their opinion and educate themselves on the complexities of the world they've just entered. That's the goal - help the #1 and #2 type people.

It's human nature to attempt to persuade others to your thinking, but the issue is when two entrenched people assume the other is on the fence and attempt to evolve their opinion. It's futile - but definitely fun to watch as a spectator. :)
In my view, the largest problem is that people tend to get their "education" from the likes of James Douma and Dr Know-it-all. The power of Tesla marketing...

Last edited:
and the second largest is people that join a forum with a primary focus on proving they know everything with no contribution. Almost like they have a second agenda?
Yes. Helping people not falling for the same scam as I did, and sharing the knowledge I have gotten over the last three years? Sorry if I upset some people here with facts.

Reactions: daktari and am_dmd
Nice summary. Assuming you're talking about L5 and before 2030, I am definitely in the the "not possible" camp. L4 multi-sensory is already here. and L3 multi-sensory too in trivial ODD:s at low speed.

For L5 camera only, I argue no one is in that camp. Again, please find me a credible non-CEO person in the field that says they believe it will happen before 2030. On Tesla HW3? Absolutely no one believes that.

In my view, the largest problem is that people tend to get their "education" from the likes of James Douma and Dr Know-it-all. The power of Tesla marketing...
Not sure how relevant this but at least another data point as you folks battle this out.
"Conservative Toyota Joins Tesla in Developing Camera-Vision Self-Driving Technology"
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ra-vision-self-driving-technology-185855.html

Reactions: DanCar
Not sure how relevant this but at least another data point as you folks battle this out.
"Conservative Toyota Joins Tesla in Developing Camera-Vision Self-Driving Technology"
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ra-vision-self-driving-technology-185855.html
I think everyone is going camera only for driver assist systems. The term "self-driving" now encompasses both driver assist and driverless systems. Nobody other than Tesla is working on a camera only driverless system (or L3).

1) Vision Only - this is based on how the transportation world was engineered around humans with vision only. ... similar to how a human drives with eyes alone.
But we don't drive with eyes alone. The majority of it sure. But we also use sense of inertial motion, 360° hearing, vibration (approach of trucks & emergency vehicle growlers), memory & experience (puddle over a known pothole, ice formed on this corner because it always does) to round out the 100%. Allows us to sense non-visible hazards. Also advanced visual clues like reflection, human gestures ("careful, something's around the corner"), inference (ball rolling, human likely to follow). AI may require more sensors than just cameras and these reactions may be challenging to replicate with a NN.

You could call #1: Human-Equivalent Sensing, to mean vision plus all other human senses. Of course multi-sensing approaches with Lidar also have similar challenges.

Last edited:
But we don't drive with eyes alone. The majority of it sure. But we also use sense of inertial motion, 360° hearing, vibration (approach of trucks & emergency vehicle growlers), memory & experience (puddle over a known pothole, ice formed on this corner because it always does) to round out the 100%. Allows us to sense non-visible hazards. Also advanced visual clues like reflection, human gestures ("careful, something's around the corner"), inference (ball rolling, human likely to follow). AI may require more sensors than just cameras and these reactions may be challenging to replicate with a NN.

You could call #1: Human-Equivalent Sensing, to mean vision plus all other human senses. Of course multi-sensing approaches with Lidar also have similar challenges.
Yeah, and we also have a brain. A NN AI is not a brain. It doesn't learn on the job. It's a fancy statistical model.

Yeah, and we also have a brain. A NN AI is not a brain. It doesn't learn on the job. It's a fancy statistical model.
Perhaps they can pair the NN with a local memory cache of 'stuff learned that's useful but not necessary to encode in the global model'. Like: there's a guy on this corner on Tuesdays that always throws oranges at the car, avoid driving here then. Or you know, something more serious.

People say on TMC all the time, "why hasn't FSD Beta leaned my street by now? I've driven on it for months and always press the report button.". Maybe the global Tesla program doesn't care and/or takes time to change, but a local cache could be useful.

Reactions: Jeff N
Perhaps they can pair the NN with a local memory cache of 'stuff learned that's useful but not necessary to encode in the global model'. Like: there's a guy on this corner on Tuesdays that always throws oranges at the car, avoid driving here then. Or you know, something more serious.

People say on TMC all the time, "why hasn't FSD Beta leaned my street by now? I've driven on it for months and always press the report button.". Maybe the global Tesla program doesn't care and/or takes time to change, but a local cache could be useful.
The solution you are suggestion is one of many things humans can do, and a self driving system cannot (yet, who knows in 50 years right?). The general problem here is how the auto industry works with type approval, testing and manufacturer liability. They need to test the system before they ship it (supposedly, questionable in Tesla's case where they slap on a beta label like driving is like email), and guarantee its function. Can't have as many systems as there are cars, obviously. This is why on the job learning is hard for cars. Plus the science.

Last edited:
I think their choice not to use maps is giving them a different trajectory (I still think they will ultimately use maps, mostly auto generated).
It’s impossible not to use maps; the question is really how much and how they will be used. If you consider you a human drives, they have some sort of map in their head to know where they’re going. Similarly, the car needs to have an idea where it’s going, otherwise FSD would just be a random turn generator. The difference is how much it can interpret, adjust and accommodate ‘on the ground’ differences from the map data. One approach is to have hyper accurate data so the car never has to interpret anything. Since roads and conditions are constantly changing this is a fools errand, IMO. I think Tesla’s approach of being able to adjust based on visual data is likely better, just more difficult to implement.