Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: boonedocks

Whole Mars Catalog @WholeMarsBlog:
Tesla Full Self-Driving Beta 11.4.2 is now rolling out to Tesla employees

Elon:
This is the right release to go wide
Not employees or OG YouTubers.

Regular person here and I installed 11.4.2 early today. It’s goiby out to EVERYONE - all be it very slowly like 11.4.1 and 11.3.6 before thenm.

Reactions: JHCCAZ and DanCar
Not employees or OG YouTubers.

Regular person here and I installed 11.4.2 early today. It’s goiby out to EVERYONE - all be it very slowly like 11.4.1 and 11.3.6 before thenm.
I also saw the update overnight. 2023.7.10. Sadly, this doesn't have the infotainment updates that were included with 2023.12.10. I was hoping they'd figured out how to keep the latest infotainment and the latest FSDb in synch.

I also saw the update overnight. 2023.7.10. Sadly, this doesn't have the infotainment updates that were included with 2023.12.10. I was hoping they'd figured out how to keep the latest infotainment and the latest FSDb in synch.

We’re not quite there yet. More likely wants we get to beta 12 it should be a single build with the latest of both going out at same time.

Has there been any update on the timeline for when we can expect the car to self park after it drops the driver off at a restaurant door? I seem to recall Elon mentioning that would be an upcoming feature for existing Tesla's with EAP or FSD. Or was that a falsehood?
You are describing reverse summon. This is unlikely to become available anytime soon. If it does, it will be severely crippled because, as an L2 system, the operator MUST have the vehicle in line of sight so as to be able to stop it before it runs over Dan O'Dowd's kid. This limits the allowable range of the system to the point that it is of very little practical use.

Smart summon has the same issue and is why it is generally considered a party trick.

A useful smart summon in either direction requires an L4 vehicle so that you can just walk away and the car will be capable of parking itself without your supervision. Until then, parking valet jobs are safe.

If it does, it will be severely crippled because, as an L2 system, the operator MUST have the vehicle in line of sight so as to be able to stop it before it runs over Dan O'Dowd's kid. This limits the allowable range of the system to the point that it is of very little practical use.
Interesting take ... Never thought of that. Wonder whether Tesla can get an exception for low speed private parking lots. They will have to take liability, though...

Interesting take ... Never thought of that. Wonder whether Tesla can get an exception for low speed private parking lots. They will have to take liability, though...
I assume that Tesla could just define the L4 ODD to be parking lots less than, say, 15 mph. What exception would be required? I am not familiar with all the L4 requirements, but, I assume that the manufacturer could set whatever restrictions are necessary to define the full set of conditions where the car will operate at L4. It would seem unlikely that Tesla would prioritize L4 for summon, given how little love Tesla has given summon.

Reactions: EVNow

Private parking lots are generally not regulated.
(Belgian) attorney here, chiming in:

Taking liability shouldn't equate to Tesla always having to cover damages when an accident happens during the use of (actual) smart/reverse summon. The car would still need to be "at fault". If your autonomous Tesla hits an immovable object there is no discussion, obviously, but in this state it is unlikely Tesla will release such a feature. If your Tesla collides with a moving object (a VRU, another moving car, etc), the usual liability discussion will ensue.

It's not because nobody was in the drivers seat that the bot is liable. Fortunately there will always be dashcam data available so the liability discussion should be easily cleared up.

With regard to the rules of the road and private parking lots: on this side of the pond any parking that can be publicly accessed (USA example: a Walmart parking lot) falls under the general traffic laws. (= keep to the right, right of way from the right side, adjust speed to visibility/conditions, etcetera) Only parkings that are restricted to the public, i.e. only authorized personnel can go there (for example a loading dock in the harbour), do not fall under general traffic laws. Many times these locations have their own traffic signs/regulations, analog to the public traffic laws.

An accident on your own private property is a different matter. That's where only the general rule of "prudence" will determine the outcome in a liability dispute.

Great info on the replies. Anyone think there is a correlation to Tesla's actual beliefs in its self driving capabilities/claims contrasted against what Tesla is willing to assume responsibility for? Or two totally separate "things"? Interesting topic.
Legally the driver is responsible for all L2 or < driving. A system must be L3 or > for the driving liability to shift to the vehicle/manufacture. So as long as FSD Beta stays L2 Tesla is not liable. If (BIG if) Tesla ever gets regulatory approval for L3 or > then Tesla would be liable anytime the car was driving on L3 or >.

I suspect that Tesla will keep FSD Beta on HW3/4 cars as a L2 driver's assist system. It will drive you there but you MUST be in the driver's seat and "in control" no matter how good FSD Beta gets. Think the engineers have finely convinced Elon that L4 (and especially L5 robotaxies) is still a ways away and probably not achievable (for sure not L5) with the current hardware.

Yep and after a couple of years no one has apparently taken him up on that offer. Maybe if there was more progress or Elon's vision of FSD could be trusted?
I think if Elon charged a reasonable fee for FSD then it would be possible, with a lock on how much he could raise the price. Currently FSD costs about $3K on used car market, so is it worth that much on a new car?