Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it’s not.

I think it’s probably to jerk the driver around so they pay attention.

Or just a side effect of traditional intersection behavior with flashing yellow.
I just spoke with a CHP officer and he confirmed that you do not need to slow down for flashing yellows, even fire signals.

I've sent an email to Tesla regarding this. I think everyone in FSD Beta should email them as well. Hopefully it'll get fixed if they get enough feedback from testers.

I just spoke with a CHP officer and he confirmed that you do not need to slow down for flashing yellows, even fire signals.

I've sent an email to Tesla regarding this. I think everyone in FSD Beta should email them as well. Hopefully it'll get fixed if they get enough feedback from testers.
Could be that the network is still timid and preparing that it may be a light about to turn Red. If so it will just probably take more training to fully identify all the different flashing light patters so it doesn't slow in caution.

EDIT Also a quick search and this came up.

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 2.22.53 PM.png

Reactions: DarkForest
I don't have a problem with the FSD Beta slowing down with a flashing Yellow light if that is the exit you are getting off on.
The problem I have is that I am in the left lane of a 4 lane highway and it slows down for the flashing yellow lights that are meant for the exit off of the rightmost lane that is 4 lanes over. There is absolutely no reason to be slowing down for this. Hopefully the single stack will correct this.

It means "proceed with caution". I think a Tesla slowing down would count as that. It would need some kind of memory to know it's a trusted flashing yellow.

Elon has lost it. He just stated in the earnings call that when Beta is released to all you can use "without touching the wheel". Say WHAT Elon??????

No reason they couldn't turn off the torque sensor if they had high confidence the slower intervention reaction time would be safe.

After all GM and Ford have cars on the road right now that are hands-free ADAS.

No reason they couldn't turn off the torque sensor if they had high confidence the slower intervention reaction time would be safe.

I think he miss spoke (or maybe I'm crazy hearing)....but if not seems odd to casually mention this on the call. Should be around 40 minute TS and was asked about FSD.

EDIT: I can only replay in my head right now but I think he may have meant to say without intervening but need to hear again.

Elon has lost it. He just stated in the earnings call that when Beta is released to all you can use "without touching the wheel". Say WHAT Elon??????
"almost" without touching controls. That "almost" is doing a lot of work.

Not sure why nobody asks specific questions about disengagement rates. I'll do that for next quarter.

"almost" without touching controls. That "almost" is doing a lot of work.

He said two different things.

His first remark was an unqualified "without touching the wheel" for the entire drive.

His second as about intervention rate, that it'd still require a human but would largely do drives almost without touching controls-- ie you might need to PUT hands on wheel for interventions- but not otherwise.

So yes- major change and the fact he put it that way twice seems significant but we'll see when wide release happens (allegedly in a month or so)

It's really easy. People will either follow the rules, maintaining control of their vehicle, and paying attention at all times while FSD Beta is enabled, or the Darwin awards will have new material and we'll get to copy/paste "told you so" in all the "FSD got me into an accident" threads.

He said two different things.

His first remark was an unqualified "without touching the wheel" for the entire drive.

His second as about intervention rate, that it'd still require a human but would largely do drives almost without touching controls-- ie you might need to PUT hands on wheel for interventions- but not otherwise.

So yes- major change and the fact he put it that way twice seems significant but we'll see when wide release happens (allegedly in a month or so)
IMO, there will be NO change. Its just the way Elon speaks.

Not sure why nobody asks specific questions about disengagement rates. I'll do that for next quarter.
Probably because they are too d**m high.

He just stated in the earnings call that when Beta is released to all you can use "without touching the wheel". Say WHAT Elon??????
“Can” does not mean “should.” It would be very unwise to remove hands from wheel for the next few years!

Guess they may have enough confidence in their attention monitoring to turn off torque sense? Could just be prevarication from Elon though. Would not be the first time!

There's no TECHNICAL reason they couldn't disable all monitoring systems and make it L3. But alas it will probably crash if you're not paying attention. GM and Ford are hands-free ADAS on limited mapped freeways only.

FSD is nowhere NEAR safe enough to be hands free. Elon's definitely full of s**t if he's suggesting FSDb will be safe enough to use hands free by end of year/wide release. This is nothing new though... he lies constantly with regards to how 🔥 every update is.

"without touching the wheel"
He initially said it in the context of the driver not needing to touch the wheel but then later he clarified that he thinks they'll be close to enough 9s of reliability to not need anyone in the car by the end of the year.

Q: Any update on Full Self-Driving? I think you had said a couple of quarters ago it would be available by the end of the year. Is that still possible? Would it still be a level 4 / level 5 that you’re talking about? And are there any sort of regulatory hurdles you’d have to think about?​
A: As I said earlier, we’re expecting to release the Full Self-Driving software to anyone who orders the package by the end of this year. It’s a separate matter as to “will it have regulatory approval?” — it won’t have regulatory approval at that time. But the car will be able to take you from your home to your work, to your friend’s house, to the grocery store without you touching a wheel. So it’s looking very good.​
Q: And it would mean level 4 / level 5 kind of traditional definition you’re talking about?​
A: Well, there's a debate as to “what are the interventions per mile?” — and of those, safety interventions per mile. We’re not saying that it’s quite ready to have no one behind the wheel. It’s just that you will almost never have to touch the vehicle controls. So when I came to Giga Texas today from a friend’s house, I never touched any of the controls all the way here.​
And then there is a longer process of what's called the march of 9s of how many 9s for reliability do you need before you could really be comfortable saying that the car could drive with no one in it. And that’s some subjectivity as to how many 9s you need. But I think we’ll be pretty close to having enough 9s that you can have no one in the car by the end of this year. And certainly without question, that's where we are in my mind next year. I think we’ll also have enough data next year to be able to show to regulators that the car is safer — much safer than the average human.​

Last edited:
Elon is not saying Level 4, this is the exact same playbook we've seen for a long time where he's asked specifically about Level 4/5 and then he dances around with verbiage before arriving at "safer than human" something or other, march of 9s, etc

You can feel the analyst's frustration because nothing Elon said has any relation to the SAE levels, taking ownership of the DDT, progression towards real Robotaxis, and that relevant stuff