Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing but “an even better build” 🤣😂🤣
Oh no, 69.3 is not just" better build" or even a Captain upgrade BUT a Major upgrade.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 6.35.02 AM.png

Oh no, 69.3 is not just" better build" or even a Captain upgrade BUT a Major upgrade.

View attachment 863510
Will finally solve the ULT maybe?

Seems so close right now, yet so far. It needs to never make a mistake, and it needs to go faster. Hopefully they will remove the median nonsense, except in the busiest scenarios where the median is very wide (there are not many medians where this works, but the car tries to do it anyway!).

Let‘s aim for at least 17-18mph if using the median!

Reactions: Daniel in SD
Been driving 10.69.2.3 more since back from vacation.

Very small differences but generally, it is smoother! 😁

Turns are slightly less aggressive, stop and go movements are less sudden. Still not as smooth as when I drive, but the gap isn't huge and on some turns, it really is as smooth as when I do it.

Haven't experienced any PBs yet so I can't comment on those yet.

These days, a short 10min drive from home to the shopping mall and farmer's market are routinely a zero disengagement event, and I only stop FSD when we approach intersection with lots of cars. Fortunately in this city, that doesn't happen often.

I have to thank Chuck since our ULTs (and all right turns for that matter) are now much much better. My wife is ok with most of the moves FSD makes now.

But I have to admit, some of those maps you guys post look rather daunting!

View attachment 863510

Again, this is just software development terminology. The version number is X.Y.Z with X being the major version number, Y being the minor version number, and Z being patch version number.

So all Elon is saying there is that there will be enough changes to the code to justify a major version number bump, but they are only modifying the patch version number because 69 is funny.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The version number is X.Y.Z with X being the major version number, Y being the minor version number, and Z being patch version number.
Where Elon Musk has basically decided that the major version "number" has gone from "10" to "10.69" until FSD Beta 11 major release is ready.

Code:
Before 10.69.x:
10.12     = major: 10,    minor: 12, patch: 0 = "employee" initial release
10.12.2   = major: 10,    minor: 12, patch: 2 = wider release

After:
10.69.2.3 = major: 10.69, minor:  2, patch: 3 = potentially non-fsd-beta change from 10.69.2.2
10.69.3   = major: 10.69, minor:  3, patch: 0 = upcoming "employee" initial release of 10.69.3.x

What's promised in 10.69.3?
Nothing is promised. What is expected? In the mumble jumble of the release notes there will be info about 4% less error rate for some obscure metric like VRU. From past major releases: Initial people will report how much better it is and a godsend. Later same people will talk about issues. Then when the mass beta people get it, there will be comments all over like it is better, marginally better, marginally worse, completely unusable.

Been driving 10.69.2.3 more since back from vacation.

Very small differences but generally, it is smoother! 😁

Turns are slightly less aggressive, stop and go movements are less sudden. Still not as smooth as when I drive, but the gap isn't huge and on some turns, it really is as smooth as when I do it.

Haven't experienced any PBs yet so I can't comment on those yet.

These days, a short 10min drive from home to the shopping mall and farmer's market are routinely a zero disengagement event,
As far as the things you mention above, same experience for me.

Reactions: JohnB007
Again, this is just software development terminology. The version number is X.Y.Z with X being the major version number, Y being the minor version number, and Z being patch version number.

So all Elon is saying there is that there will be enough changes to the code to justify a major version number bump, but they are only modifying the patch version number because 69 is funny.
Good points. And for me, I say it is "funny" in more ways than one. It seems to laugh at me for not always trusting what it does. :rolleyes::)

Elon repeating hype
Several major architectural upgrades in 10.69.3, so it’s much more than a point release, but we’re sticking with 10.69 just cause haha
Yep, this stuff is no longer exciting to hear without specifics.
Give us detailed info and performance improvement metrics Elon!

Will it solve the ULT? (No.)
Will it fix lane selection? (No.)
Will it provide ability to read signs? (No.)
Will it be able to stop smoothly? (No.)
Will it master stop signs? (No.)
Will it stop slowing down for overhead flashing lights? (No.)

Now, these are all features, not architectures. I’m all for architectures building out fundamental abilities; it is very important, but at some point you’d expect some spillover and improvement in results.

One of these days with my incredibly negative attitude I am going to be wrong about one of these things. But quite confident here.

I guess it is fair to say at this early stage that driving is not a priority for FSD. They are just still working on sensing the world accurately. Driving just not important.

Will it stop slowing down for overhead flashing lights? (No.)
This one has confused me for some time, as I have a fire station about a block from my house. FSD Beta always slows down from the set speed limit (50MPH) to about 25-30MPH when approaching the flashing yellow lights at the station. The lights are over the lanes:

1666196136592.png

I looked up the DMV codes for flashing yellow traffic lights:

Flashing Yellow–A flashing yellow traffic signal light warns you to “PROCEED WITH CAUTION.” Slow down and be alert before entering the intersection. Yield to any pedestrians, bicyclists, or vehicles in the intersection. You do not need to stop for a flashing yellow traffic signal light.

I wonder if that's why it always slows down for yellow flashing traffic lights - the code says "slow down and be alert..." No one really slows down, and I don't think it's illegal to drive full speed, as I've seen many police cars with traffic flowing through it at 50MPH. This is another one of those questions I'll have to ask a police officer next time I see one out and about (usually grocery stores, or gas stations when I'm getting my car washed).

Reactions: boonedocks
This one has confused me for some time, as I have a fire station about a block from my house. FSD Beta always slows down from the set speed limit (50MPH) to about 25-30MPH when approaching the flashing yellow lights at the station. The lights are over the lanes:

View attachment 865368

I looked up the DMV codes for flashing yellow traffic lights:

Flashing Yellow–A flashing yellow traffic signal light warns you to “PROCEED WITH CAUTION.” Slow down and be alert before entering the intersection. Yield to any pedestrians, bicyclists, or vehicles in the intersection. You do not need to stop for a flashing yellow traffic signal light.

I wonder if that's why it always slows down for yellow flashing traffic lights - the code says "slow down and be alert..." No one really slows down, and I don't think it's illegal to drive full speed, as I've seen many police cars with traffic flowing through it at 50MPH. This is another one of those questions I'll have to ask a police officer next time I see one out and about (usually grocery stores, or gas stations when I'm getting my car washed).
There is a stretch of highway between Atlanta and NC that has a 55mph - 65mph speed limit and a handful of traffic lights.

Before each light there are flashing yellow lights about a 1/4 mile before the traffic lights. The FSD Beta just does not handle these all and I just have to disengage and re-engage after passing therm. They continually flash yellow even if the traffic light had just turned green again and traffic is going at speed limit.

The problem is the same as with a lot of FSD Beta issues is that it is not necessarily too bad on its on but other cars in your vicinity really get PISSED OFF!!

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Yep, this stuff is no longer exciting to hear without specifics
Assuming his tweets about "(Actually) Smart Summon" are related, it would seem to fall into the "major architectural upgrades in 10.69.3" category. Smart Summon switching from birds-eye-view to occupancy network would probably involve throwing away most of the legacy networks and behaviors. Similarly, the current summon behavior relies heavily on ultrasonic sensors, so the replacement with occupancy network would be quite the architectural change too. Another aspect of smart summon is planning paths in unmapped parking lots, so maybe that also needed to be upgraded or replaced?

So if getting those working in parking lots required other related changes to FSD Beta driving behavior, it might also result in better driving on streets that have some characteristics like parking lots. Maybe it'll even come with a visualization update to better show things that are more common in parking lots?

Reactions: willow_hiller
Clearly written for intersections. Have to find the part of the code that describes these other flashing yellows and what they mean.

As far as I can tell they mean “be alert” or “caution” but do not require a slowdown (since accompanied by yellow signs they are advisory, not limits). So very similar to the case at an intersection (though clearly typically less caution would be required).

Reactions: Dewg
There is a stretch of highway between Atlanta and NC that has a 55mph - 65mph speed limit and a handful of traffic lights.

Before each light there are flashing yellow lights about a 1/4 mile before the traffic lights. The FSD Beta just does not handle these all and I just have to disengage and re-engage after passing therm. They continually flash yellow even if the traffic light had just turned green again and traffic is going at speed limit.

The problem is the same as with a lot of FSD Beta issues is that it is not necessarily too bad on its on but other cars in your vicinity really get PISSED OFF!!
If Tesla just ignored yellow flashing lights and drove at normal speed, would they get into regulatory trouble like they did with rolling stops?

Clearly written for intersections. Have to find the part of the code that describes these other flashing yellows and what they mean.

As far as I can tell they mean “be alert” or “caution” but do not require a slowdown (since accompanied by yellow signs they are advisory, not limits). So very similar to the case at an intersection (though clearly typically less caution would be required).
When I was driving out to Vegas there are many yellow blinking "caution" signs on the 15, and I totally agree with you, the car doesn't need to slow down for them, but it does anyway. But in my fire house example, there are no caution signs, just traffic lights, 3 of em, all blinking yellow. It is, technically, an intersection as there is "Keep Clear" with white stop lines for when the traffic light turns red to let the fire trucks get out.

At this point I just push down the accelerator to get through it, but I am curious if this is just a regulatory issue, like rolling stops, that's preventing Tesla from ignoring flashing yellows.

Reactions: boonedocks
At this point I just push down the accelerator to get through it, but I am curious if this is just a regulatory issue, like rolling stops, that's preventing Tesla from ignoring flashing yellows
No, it’s not.

I think it’s probably to jerk the driver around so they pay attention.

Or just a side effect of traditional intersection behavior with flashing yellow.