Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is true if it happens 1 out of 1000 attempts, to each destination.
It can't be done now because of Wheel Torque required, even in 1 million attempts. So at the VERY least the Nag MUST be removed in 69.3.

If Nag is being removed in 69.3 it seems he would have bragged about hands free coming on Tweeter.

While Elon is correct that FSD Beta is quite good a lot of the time, I don't consider the situations where it currently fails 'the march of 9s'. I had two very good drives to and from work today, but also had two failures:
  • On the way to work, I got the red hands of death because the forward facing cameras were blinded by the early morning sun.
  • On the way home from work, my car failed to change lanes in time to take a left hand turn. Despite the fact that this is a straight road, clearly marked simple intersection, and it has made this turn many many times before.
When I think of the march of 9s I think of edge cases - a downed power line on the street, a weird unmarked 12 way intersection, etc. I don't consider glare from the sun an edge case, nor simple path planning to change lanes in time for a turn at a simple intersection.

It can't be done now because of Wheel Torque required, even in 1 million attempts. So at the VERY least the Nag MUST be removed in 69.3.
That’s a little harsh.

Remember this could be prevarication, or a thought experiment in Elon’s mind.

Agreed though they would have to remove the torque sense to actually have this happen. Seems fine, even if not a good idea to remove your hands. Attention sensing might be good enough. Maybe they’ll get even better at detecting the glances down.

Agreed though they would have to remove the torque sense. Seems fine, even if not a good idea to remove your hands. Attention sensing might be good enough. Maybe they’ll get even better at detecting the glances down.
I think the torque requirement makes drivers less safe. Precious time and attention spent keeping the system happy rather than focusing on what the car is actually doing. At a *minimum* they should remove it for vehicles with the interior camera.

This talk about not needing someone in the car is producing flashbacks of that video from 2016 saying the person behind the wheel is only there for legal reasons, there is a huge amount of interpretation required.

I don’t know what any of these things mean in terms of the relevant stuff people want to know. I want to hear an analyst ask whether Tesla plans to take ownership of the dynamic driving task in the near future, even in a limited operating domain, which is what defines Level 3+. It’s really quite straightforward, but Elon has clearly been coached by the lawyers etc to carefully avoid discussion of the levels and just deflect to talk about stuff that isn’t at all tied to them. You can have a system that the regulators believe is “safer than the average driver” but is still L2, and I’m sure there’s a way to qualify away these statements about not *needing* a person in the vehicle.

I think the torque requirement makes drivers less safe. Precious time and attention spent keeping the system happy rather than focusing on what the car is actually doing. At a *minimum* they should remove it for vehicles with the interior camera.

A recent study found hands-off systems produce measurably less safe results than hands-on ones--- so your thinking does not appear to reflect the real world outcome.

The only way I see them remove the hands-on requirement is when they think the intervention need is so low as to make that a non issue.

The interior camera can not do the same job the torque sensor can- especially given it was never intended for that work and thus it's both the wrong type of camera, and located in the wrong place.

I don't consider the situations where it currently fails 'the march of 9s'. I had two very good drives to and from work today, but also had two failures:
The "March of 9's" is specifically a rate of SAEFTY-related failures/disengagement, not TOTAL fails, isn't it?

If true, the "red hands of death" qualifies but not missing a turn because it's in the wrong lane.

Which might also mean that's what FSD is once fully released, supposedly by year end. Not necessarily no nags, let alone something more than level 2. Hmmmm.

Reactions: dckiwi
A recent study found hands-off systems produce measurably less safe results than hands-on ones--- so your thinking does not appear to reflect the real world outcome.

The only way I see them remove the hands-on requirement is when they think the intervention need is so low as to make that a non issue.

The interior camera can not do the same job the torque sensor can- especially given it was never intended for that work and thus it's both the wrong type of camera, and located in the wrong place.
Link to the recent study?

Regardless, the torque sensor does not require you to keep your hands on the wheel. It requires you to tug the wheel at irregular intervals.

Reactions: momo3605
Elon Musk Quote: "But the car will be able to take you from your home to work, to a friends house, to the grocery store, um without you touching the wheel".

What can't others hear this?
He clarified this in the followup question.

More importantly, Must doesn't have rehearsed corporate sound bites as answers. It's all off the cuff - so very imprecise in his answers. Lot of people don't realize this - and we have endless fights here about what he said/meant.

IMO, this is just a usual "FSD is doing great and will soon be 'done'" message. Nothing new.

• Helpful
Reactions: wknickless
Link to the recent study?

IIHS study where among the results the hands-free GM users were significantly more likely to be comfortable treating their system as fully self driving-- and also the most likely to believe engaging in activities that are unsafe without the system (cell phone use for example) IS safe with the system turned on.

Regardless, the torque sensor does not require you to keep your hands on the wheel. It requires you to tug the wheel at irregular intervals.

Well--- no--- though some people shut it up that way. What it's actually requiring is detection of resistance to the wheel being turned by the car.

And rather than tug the far easier way is just LEAVE a hand on the wheel, near the bottom, resting on your leg, which provides sufficient resistance... and ALSO saves you precious seconds when you need to intervene since your hand is already ON the wheel.