Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprised this thread missed this. In 2016 Elon theorized the ability to summon your car from NY to LA (in 2 years, but who's keeping track). And now when someone asked Whole Mars about an LA to NY trip he replied "Soon."

It was a stunt - and it is a stunt when someone does it now.

There have been other car makers who have done this stunt years ago and not one iota of that has come to the drivers of those cars. I remember a demo drive Volvo did - couldn't find the link. But I found this hilarious article.

Drive Me serves as one of three linchpins in Volvo’s overall strategy to deploy fully autonomous vehicles on public roads by 2021.

Surprised this thread missed this. In 2016 Elon theorized the ability to summon your car from NY to LA (in 2 years, but who's keeping track). And now when someone asked Whole Mars about an LA to NY trip he replied "Soon."
What would be the point of Tesla demonstrating such a drive now? If it is primarily on Interstates and the driver handles maneuvering the car for charging and the connection to the charger, then anybody with FSDb could do this drive today, and someone would eventually do it without interventions (again, except for charging).

What would be the point of Tesla demonstrating such a drive now? If it is primarily on Interstates and the driver handles maneuvering the car for charging and the connection to the charger, then anybody with FSDb could do this drive today, and someone would eventually do it without interventions (again, except for charging).
it would provide very good advertising and also help differentiate FSD from its geofenced competition. It would also provide a benchmark for autonomy and a reference point for all subsequent press coverage on the subject.

It would also not cost much to do.

I would say, what would be the point of NOT doing it?

it would provide very good advertising and also help differentiate FSD from its geofenced competition. It would also provide a benchmark for autonomy and a reference point for all subsequent press coverage on the subject.

It's inability to do so would be the biggest reason.

What's Tesla's "geofenced" competition (and please don't say Cruise or Waymo)?

Ah. But I would think SuperCruise would have the interstates between LA and NY well-covered, but I could be wrong. And if it can handle those interstates L3 instead of "hands-on-the-wheel" L2 as in Tesla's case, I would think for me at least SuperCruise still comes off as a superior product.
Neither SuperCruise nor BlueCruise are level 3. They are just hands off level 2, but still require absolute and strict supervision, even more so than Tesla in my experience.

They are both lane assist on highway ADAS. SuperCruise has automatic lane change (like EAP), Blue Cruise does not, yet. They are adding the ability to change lanes with the turn signal in their new version.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
This is true. BUt at this point, wasnt the projection from Tesla that FSD would have far, far more functionality than both of those systems do by now? Just seems like those other systems are right where expectations were, and FSD is far, far behind the timeline promises given by Elon over the years.
Not sure what you are saying. Those systems are highway druver assist like EAP or in Ford's case, just AP, but much more limited. You can only use them on selected divided highways/freeways. Where AP can be used everywhere.

FSD is far more ambitious and does a lot more than either of them are striving to.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are saying. Those systems are highway druver assist like EAP or in Ford's case, just AP, but much more limited. You can only use them on selected divided highways/freeways. Where AP can be used everywhere.

FSD is far more ambitious and does a lot more than either of them are striving to.
We’ll just have to see who gets to L3 first. My bet is on Mercedes.

Again, what the traffic jam assist is not trying to accomplish what FSD is. If that's what you want, that's great and I doubt Tesla delivers a similar solution, but it's not the same.
All I’ve ever wanted is L3 on highways (traffic or no) and that’s pretty much what I thought I was buying in 2018. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me in a consumer car. Tesla could have been there by now and been the first, but their naive and somewhat childlike CEO took the project a different direction.