Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:) Probably a few years before it works reliably.
Right now, my car on v12.3 can find its way out of a rather tight spot in front of a gate, where I back it in every night to charge. It's all gravel, a low rock boundary on one side, block wall on the other and a couple of other cars directly forward in the way.

There's not much freedom of maneuver to get out from where it's tucked in. It has to curve sharp left to get clear (but without riding up on the rocks) then sharp right around the front of the parked cars, then head for one of the driveway street exits bounded by small boulders on both sides. Obviously there are no lines of any kind in this gravel, only the rough rock borders and the cactus-strewn yard.

Some days it's reluctant to move after I engage so I give it a little pedal, other days it starts and does the whole thing by itself, rather slowly. Noting that the view forward around the car is nowhere near as good as it would get from the wide-angle and low-mounted rear camera, plus the repeaters facing back on either side.

So, considering that it already handles this situation driving forward, I don't see why it couldn't do even better in reverse, and even better still in parking lots with some semblance of standard markings and/or islands. It's just not allowed to reverse right now, and possibly needs tens of thousands of hours of reverse- maneuvering video clips to teach the network.

There may be some things that will take years, and as I've always said, some things that really need as good camera angles looking forward as it now has backwards. But I see no reason that basic reversing maneuvers are beyond the scope of v12 anytime Tesla wants to devote the training resources.
(Does that mean I want to wager on Elon's hopeful timeline? Not a chance! :D)

Dave: ... back out of a parking spot in a parking lot, drive to your destination, and then park at your destination’s parking lot.
Elon: Probably only a few months
Translation: Probably a few years before it works reliably.

Currently self park only pulls into spots backward-- so it'd drive forward out of a parking spot, not backward.... has that changed on 12.3? (I've driven it some, but not anywhere it would've tried parking)

Currently self park only pulls into spots backward-- so it'd drive forward out of a parking spot, not backward.... has that changed on 12.3? (I've driven it some, but not anywhere it would've tried parking)
I've tried a few parking lots, with stores as the destination. So far v12.3 has not attempted to park at the destination. The system says I've arrived, and then FSD Beta just drives really slowly forward and keeps going, passing empty spot after empty spot. I eventually have to disengage and park. At my house, FSD Beta does pull over as I've seen others do in video, but it has not pulled into my driveway.

One odd behavior is that nav does not finish anymore. In v11, when you reached your destination, like home, nav would finish. Now nav just keeps going even though I'm at the destination. If I disengage FSD Beta, I get the "What Happened?!?" prompt. V11 recognized you were at your destination and not ask the question.

I've tried a few parking lots, with stores as the destination. So far v12.3 has not attempted to park at the destination. The system says I've arrived, and then FSD Beta just drives really slowly forward and keeps going, passing empty spot after empty spot. I eventually have to disengage and park. At my house, FSD Beta does pull over as I've seen others do in video, but it has not pulled into my driveway.

One odd behavior is that nav does not finish anymore. In v11, when you reached your destination, like home, nav would finish. Now nav just keeps going even though I'm at the destination. If I disengage FSD Beta, I get the "What Happened?!?" prompt. V11 recognized you were at your destination and not ask the question.
I believe v12.3 removed parking at destination because of the fender bender with a v12.1 mishap.

Are others at the same place I am now with V12 where I'm a bit surprised to have a disengagement on a drive? Granted most drives aren't in an urban area but with every other version of FSD I often had multiple disengagements per drive.

No, I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I have yet to experience that on any v12.3 drive. I had an attempted red light run on my 2 mile morning drive to the gym.

Plus v12.3 is higher driver maintenance (PITA) given the new need for speed monitoring/throttle adjustment.

I'm wondering if v12.3 does better in low speed downtown/urban areas as there are some good drive videos out there.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
How many people that used to have terrible FSD Beta experiences had those experiences dramatically improve with current versions? My theory is that people who had terrible FSD beta experiences have something fundamentally wrong with their cars, and will likely never see significant improvement with current versions. This includes people who have GPS antenna issues, camera wiring problems, bad FSD computers, malfunctioning torque sensors, or other hardware problems.

How many people that used to have terrible FSD Beta experiences had those experiences dramatically improve with current versions? My theory is that people who had terrible FSD beta experiences have something fundamentally wrong with their cars, and will likely never see significant improvement with current versions. This includes people who have GPS antenna issues, camera wiring problems, bad FSD computers, malfunctioning torque sensors, or other hardware problems.

There could be a small number of those cases. Maybe more to do with expectations and placebo effects.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean here by "terrible" "dramatically improve" etc?

But I've certainly seen it get noticeably better at some things it used to be bad, or incapable, of doing. For example roundabouts went from absolute no to most of the time works but not smoothly to (in 12.3) has worked perfectly every time.

Likewise some behavior got noticeably worse in certain versions- for example one non-90-degree intersection near my house worked fine for a number of versions, then mid 11.x got weird and jerky and at least half the time had to abort- 12.3 has handled it without issue so far.

OTOH the slow driving speed in 12.3 is much worse than earlier versions.

That said I don't disagree there can be significant car to car variance.... there was a self-parking discussion a few weeks back with I think me, AllanSubie, and Sleepydoc... where since the vision update a couple years ago it works VERY reliably for me as far as detecting perpendicular spots and parking in them (albeit slowly), Alan had ok results when he tried, and Sleepydoc reported it nearly never, ever, worked.

I believe v12.3 removed parking at destination because of the fender bender with a v12.1 mishap.
Not true. Arriving at my destination the other day, it assertively continued past the pin, navigated to another part of the parking lot (which happened to be very close to the entrance, and pulled into the parking spot nearest to the destination. One other time it has parked for me. But those were the only two instances. I’m not sure why it tries to park sometimes and not others.

Not true. Arriving at my destination the other day, it assertively continued past the pin, navigated to another part of the parking lot (which happened to be very close to the entrance, and pulled into the parking spot nearest to the destination. One other time it has parked for me. But those were the only two instances. I’m not sure why it tries to park sometimes and not others.
You would know better as I'm still waiting for my V12.

Following the plethora of videos it looked like no more examples of non parallel parking with adjacent vehicles. Thus my speculation.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean here by "terrible" "dramatically improve" etc?

But I've certainly seen it get noticeably better at some things it used to be bad, or incapable, of doing. For example roundabouts went from absolute no to most of the time works but not smoothly to (in 12.3) has worked perfectly every time.

Likewise some behavior got noticeably worse in certain versions- for example one non-90-degree intersection near my house worked fine for a number of versions, then mid 11.x got weird and jerky and at least half the time had to abort- 12.3 has handled it without issue so far.

OTOH the slow driving speed in 12.3 is much worse than earlier versions.

That said I don't disagree there can be significant car to car variance.... there was a self-parking discussion a few weeks back with I think me, AllanSubie, and Sleepydoc... where since the vision update a couple years ago it works VERY reliably for me as far as detecting perpendicular spots and parking in them (albeit slowly), Alan had ok results when he tried, and Sleepydoc reported it nearly never, ever, worked.
Terrible: I'm thinking of people who, since v10, have never had a good FSD Beta experience. Commenting that they can't drive even a mile down the road from their residential neighborhood without numerous disengagements (some saying even on a straight road with no turns). Consistently running red lights. Failing to stay in a lane. Moving into oncoming traffic lanes. Making nav turns ahead or behind schedule. Etc.

Dramatically Improved: There cars no longer do all those things consistently.

My early v10 experiences were pretty rough, but improved with each version. Comparing v10 to v12 is night and day. Some people seem plagued with issues, where the car still consistently makes v10 mistakes even on v12.

One odd behavior is that nav does not finish anymore. In v11, when you reached your destination, like home, nav would finish. Now nav just keeps going even though I'm at the destination.
I just worked out why this behavior is prevalent, I think. v12 now tries to find a place to park at your destination. If it fails, it will drive around and try again. It needs the navigation route to stay active so it can find its way back and try again.

Here is a v12 park today. Still not there unless you count it as a BMW park job.

IMG_4614.jpeg

Consistently parking at the conclusion of a drive would be awesome! If smart summon is around the corner I would think FSD could incorporate that capability in to an overall drive?
Apparently when it comes, it will be something you request. If you stay in the car, it's called Finish. If you get out to let the car park itself, that's called Banish.
(Good thing it's not called " Get Lost" :) ).