Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was the same price in Q3 2022 as it is today- $12,000 (though subscriptions were still $199 then, and just dropped to $99 now).

EAP was reintroduced in EMEA early Q1 2021, and the US late Q1 2022- so the last several quarters of data in the link I gave were after EAP was available both places..... Take rate in the US did not change significantly from EAP coming back (Q1 and Q2 2022 were both 14.5%)... In Europe harder to say, it went down Q4 20 to Q1 21, but then back up (above even Q4-20) in Q2 21.

It's owner-reported data, so I guess believe or dismiss as you wish based on that

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It's owner-reported data, so I guess believe or dismiss as you wish based on that
Yeah gonna be pretty biased, and the direction is clear. 5% seems about right for recently with mass market adoption.

Take rate in the US did not change significantly from EAP coming back (Q1 and Q2 2022 were both 14.5%).
Kind of surprising! Wonder if that held up.

Could also be partially due to biased sample but doesn’t really explain that. May just be a case of all or nothing. I guess big scheme of things EAP is pretty lacking in value so after thinking about it I guess that makes sense. $6k is a lot to pay for auto lane change and some silly features.

Is the green light chime for all vehicles now? That’s literally the most valuable feature of all.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
It will be interesting to see if wide-ODD L2 (supervised fsd) will be a thing that the masses appreciate or if it will go down the route of 3D-TV, VR, drones, 3D-printing etc.

I'm not saying that it won't be useful to some, but I question the mass appeal as long as the driver still need to watch the road at all times and be prepared to jump in at any time.

The value proposition over standard AP or what other vendors offer isn't massive, and I personally don't believe Tesla's current system will become autonomous.

It was the same price in Q3 2022 as it is today- $12,000 (though subscriptions were still $199 then, and just dropped to $99 now).

EAP was reintroduced in EMEA early Q1 2021, and the US late Q1 2022- so the last several quarters of data in the link I gave were after EAP was available both places..... Take rate in the US did not change significantly from EAP coming back (Q1 and Q2 2022 were both 14.5%)... In Europe harder to say, it went down Q4 20 to Q1 21, but then back up (above even Q4-20) in Q2 21.

Wasn’t there a pre-covid times company number of FSD take rate that was 8%, from either a conference call or some scrappy extrapolation of FSD deferred revenues, vs. FSD capable vehicles sold that someone came up with and then essentially got EM or the CFO to ‘confirm’?

Wasn’t there a pre-covid times company number of FSD take rate that was 8%, from either a conference call or some scrappy extrapolation of FSD deferred revenues, vs. FSD capable vehicles sold that someone came up with and then essentially got EM or the CFO to ‘confirm’?
What is this mysterious PRE-Covid times you speak of? I thought the world began on March 1, 2020.

Not that I can find at a super quick glance... I did find Elon refusing to answer the attach rate on the Q4 '21 call though- be curious if anyone does have such a reference though.

From 2022 Q4 Tesla report, approximately 400K have purchased FSD in U.S. and Canada.

From Dec 29, 2022:
Quote: FSD Beta, reaching 285k cars total

23% purchased FSD according to Jan 23 article:
Quote: ... a surprise to learn that over 285,000 customers in North America have purchased FSD.

I got this info using Anthropic Claude Opus: Claude
Prompt: What percentage of Tesla buyers purchase FSD? Links or references for more info are appreciated.

Last edited:
From 2022 Q4 Tesla report, approximately 400K have purchased FSD in U.S. and Canada.

From Dec 29, 2022:
Quote: FSD Beta, reaching 285k cars total

23% purchased FSD according to Jan 23 article:
Quote: ... a surprise to learn that over 285,000 customers in North America have purchased FSD.

Since that # comes well beyond the time subscriptions were available I don't think that's actually useful for "purchase FSD" just "purchased access to FSD"

The second group would include subscriptions.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Since that # comes well beyond the time subscriptions were available I don't think that's actually useful for "purchase FSD" just "purchased access to FSD"

The second group would include subscriptions.
AI has cracked the nut.

Claude says 60% of purchases in Q4 2022 included the full $15k FSD package. "It's important to note that these figures only represent the percentage of customers who opt to purchase the full FSD package upfront, and do not include those who may later subscribe to the FSD service."

I stand corrected. The above facts are detailed in their Q4 2022 earnings report, according to Claude.

Last edited:
Not that I can find at a super quick glance... I did find Elon refusing to answer the attach rate on the Q4 '21 call though- be curious if anyone does have such a reference though.
Yeah, it was definitely before that.. pre Jan 2020, since I was IN the GYM and I have’t been IN a gym since then (built one at home, saves a TON of time). I know where I was standing and what workout I was doing, can see the mirror and the Roman curl stand. I was listening to an afternoon conference call, so it was also when Tesla HQ was still in CA.

I know, sounds crazy, that’s just the way my mind works.

I’ll scan the conference call transcripts from 2018 and 2019. See what I can maybe find.

1713034570311.png

Elon says real world video is better than synthetic video.
Elon replying to a comment from Jim Fan which Jim's comments are interesting. He is suggesting that Grok will make FSD significantly better. Too bad grok won't fit in anyone's FSD computer.
Quoting Jim:
Tesla FSD v13 will likely be grokking language tokens. What excites me the most about Grok-1.5V is the potential to solve edge cases in self-driving. Using language for "chain of thought" will help the car break down a complex scenario, reason with rules and counterfactuals, and explain its decisions. What Grok-1.5V can help is to lift pixel->action mapping to pixel->language->action instead.

With @Tesla_AI's highly mature data pipeline, it is not hard to label tons of edge cases with high-quality human explanation traces, and finetune Grok to be far better than GPT-4V and Gemini for multimodal FSD reasoning.

Seen a couple of reports that says Elon is prioritizing robotaxi and FSD over model 2.
Since the Robotaxi and model 2 share the same platform, I don't agree with somethings the article states.
yeah. because L5 robotaxis without steering wheel are just a few months/ years away ... meanwhile FSD "supervised" (L2) still curbs wheels in tight corners and cameras get blinded by the sun....

Reactions: DrGriz
yeah. because L5 robotaxis without steering wheel are just a few months/ years away ... meanwhile FSD "supervised" (L2) still curbs wheels in tight corners and cameras get blinded by the sun....

FWIW I don't think L5 is remotely close... but I've also not seen FSD fail out to TAKE CONTROL NOW due to sun glare in a couple years now.