Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Elon Musk Makes Texas His Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Elon Musk is now a Texan.

The Chief Executive of Tesla and SpaceX said in a Wall Street Journal interview that he has officially moved to the the Lone Star State.

“For myself, yes, I have moved to Texas,” Musk told WSJ.

Musk has plenty of business to oversee in Texas. SpaceX has a test facility in Boca Chica, Texas and Tesla is currently building a Gigafactory near Austin. He previously resided in California, where both companies are headquartered.

Still, Musk said his companies aren’t planning a full exit from California.

“Tesla and SpaceX obviously have mass operation in California,” Musk said. “In fact, it’s worth noting that Tesla is the last car company still manufacturing cars in California. SpaceX is the last aerospace company still doing significant aerospace manufacturing in California.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: drdumont
Wow! Texas tells you what you can buy and what you can't? Who would've thought......

I'm not aware of other purchase restrictions, we are a pretty hands off lot hereabouts. But, in cahoots with the auto dealership associations and the actual dealers themselves, it is agin the law here for a manufacturer to sell an automobile directly to a consumer. Since there are no "dealerships" for Tesla, when you purchase a Tesla, the actual transaction takes place in another state. The local salon folks can't talk prices, or anything sales related.
My purchases went off pretty much without a hitch, but dealing with wire transfers and that sort of thing was a pain.
I still have not titled the cars, as the county tax offices have been closed. Driving on laminated paper plates. I may title and tag in another state.
California is not the only state with onerous tax policies, but it can get 'spensive there.

Fixed that for you.

Ummm... Fixed what for me?

Oh - I see... It isn't just the Lobbyists. Several candidates are on record receiving large sums of money from several of the "family" name dealership chains around here.
Why deal through a lobbyist when the giver can put his money right in the givee's pocket? No middleman needed.

"Back where I come from, when I buy a politician, he STAYS bought!". May have been
ol' Landslide Lyndon who said that.

• Funny
Reactions: MXLRplus
Elon could start out his day with an early morning launch in Florida, stop by Brownsville for brunch, do a flyover to view progress in Austin, on his way to a dinner meeting in Freemont and get a good nights rest in LA in order to be at Hawthorne first thing in the morning. This only matters as an FU to the California franchise tax board.

And if true that is pretty sad. Shows greed in this country has completely taken over. But for California Tesla would have NEVER made it. We were the state that almost completely supported Tesla in all of the lean year.

• Funny
Reactions: MXLRplus
Elon could start out his day with an early morning launch in Florida, stop by Brownsville for brunch, do a flyover to view progress in Austin, on his way to a dinner meeting in Freemont and get a good nights rest in LA in order to be at Hawthorne first thing in the morning. This only matters as an FU to the California franchise tax board.
Except that the FTB will still force him to pay CA state income taxes for every day that he spends in CA. Trivial for them to calculate since he only travels via private jet; it's a simple lookup on flightaware..... Yes, his taxes will go down (I made a similar move 4 years ago), but he'll still be cutting a check to the FTB every year.

Except that the FTB will still force him to pay CA state income taxes for every day that he spends in CA. Trivial for them to calculate since he only travels via private jet; it's a simple lookup on flightaware..... Yes, his taxes will go down (I made a similar move 4 years ago), but he'll still be cutting a check to the FTB every year.

NOW I see the use of The Boring Company's tunnels..... :p

I’d really have to look hard at Texas for a potential move myself. There are a lot of people making an exodus from California, including people for hundreds of millions or even billions including people in there 70’s. It’s hard for me to wrap my
Brain around people who have more than they can spend in the lifetime; or Evian their spouse or kids lives. But they do. So maybe it’s just a game or principle I guess. Nothing against Texas, I know a lot of people that live there or are moving there, but myself having spent a lot of time there on multiple occasions, even for months at a tome I really can’t see living there for numerous reasons. But I guess I get it people want to save that (say 14% California) state tax and are fed us with the traffic and over crowding. I’d rather go elsewhere before Texas. But to each their own.

California has a cap on personal freedom. And the are moving the bar lowerer every year.
Most of my friends who have left the state did so for personal freedom. not just excessive taxation.
I'm finally starting to shop houses out-of-state just so I don't have to fight the government here incessantly.

Reactions: philw1776
California has a cap on personal freedom. And the are moving the bar lowerer every year.
Most of my friends who have left the state did so for personal freedom. not just excessive taxation.
I'm finally starting to shop houses out-of-state just so I don't have to fight the government here incessantly.

In Arizona, I'm on the receiving end of the Kali Exodus. Unfortunately, the newcomers do not seem to understand that the conditions they are fleeing are a direct result of the way they vote.

Agreed. Decreased tax burden was icing on the cake. It was the traffic that was getting to me. That much stress every day is really bad for your health. Not to mention I hardly saw my kids on weekdays.

I'll put in my plug for Tulsa, OK. Super cheap cost of living w/ great public schools. It's what Austin was 30 years ago :cool:

Not sure what you are talking about. 4th generation Californian and have not lost Any personal freedom. Yes it is expensive living here - because so many people want to live here and desirable locations are limited. Also, not sure what you have to "fight" the government about?

Except that the FTB will still force him to pay CA state income taxes for every day that he spends in CA.
I refused to pay their demands (and New York's and Pennsylvania's) as well for years and still do. When I flew in for a day or two, I paid enough in hotel,food, and other taxes.
I no longer have any reason or desire to go to either place.
If you live there, like it there, wish to stay there, then all the better for you. Don't like Texas? Cool. Don't want anyone to be anywhere they don't want to be.

Not sure what you are talking about. 4th generation Californian and have not lost Any personal freedom. Yes it is expensive living here - because so many people want to live here and desirable locations are limited. Also, not sure what you have to "fight" the government about?

<-5th generation.

It started out easy. No kids in the back of pickups, then no adults, then no farm animals in suburbs, then gun restrictions, then 55 mph, then MC helmets, then dual language everything, then closing most racetracks, then closing many off-road areas, then restricting MC's, bicycle helmets, etc, etc, etc, etc.

It took 3 years to build a garage. 2.5 were permit induced delays. I actually had to hire a lawyer to get the city to obey a court order. It took a year and over $2000 in permits to get my solar PTO. It took 4 months to get a death certificate for my dad. I just had to get a fresh MMR shot (yes I had them before) to teach ONLINE classes. I take to take a CSU Anti-Rape class (I'm a senior citizen with a spotless criminal record). I have to carry a permit to buy .22 LR ammo for pest control.

Now they are taxing my EVs and depreciating my solar production.

How do you cook a frog? You put it in a pan of cold water so it doesn't jump out and turn on the heat. It doesn't noticed it's being cooked until it's too late.

I've never been a Cubicle Paper Doll. I would never join an HOA. I was raised on a farm and I try to be a good citizen. I donate heavily to charities, and I've been "green" since before it was fashionable. So why do they think they need to cut my personal freedoms? What risk am I to you or Newsom?

Last edited:
Reactions: philw1776
<-5th generation.

It started out easy. No kids in the back of pickups, then no adults, then no farm animals in suburbs, then gun restrictions, then 55 mph, then MC helmets, then dual language everything, then closing most racetracks, then closing many off-road areas, then restricting MC's, bicycle helmets, etc, etc, etc, etc.

It took 3 years to build a garage. 2.5 were permit induced delays. I actually had to hire a lawyer to get the city to obey a court order. It took a year and over $2000 in permits to get my solar PTO. It took 4 months to get a death certificate for my dad. I just had to get a fresh MMR shot (yes I had them before) to teach ONLINE classes. I take to take a CSU Anti-Rape class (I'm a senior citizen with a spotless criminal record). I have to carry a permit to buy .22 LR ammo for pest control.

Now they are taxing my EVs and depreciating my solar production.

How do you cook a frog? You put it in a pan of cold water so it doesn't jump out and turn on the heat. It doesn't noticed it's being cooked until it's too late.

I've never been a Cubicle Paper Doll. I would never join an HOA. I was raised on a farm and I try to be a good citizen. I donate heavily to charities, and I've been "green" since before it was fashionable. So why do they think they need to cut my personal freedoms? What risk am I to you or Newsom?
OK - am only 3rd generation - but have never had a fight with anyone or anything related to CA state government. FTB never came to my door with pitchforks and swords. When we built a pool a few years ago, the county permit people were polite and helpful. He left a handwritten note saying he thought the design was cool. I'm not a gun guy, but if you are fine by me. Just please don't tell me you need an AR-15 in the arsenal.

Yeah - taxes are too high - there are too many of us - traffic sucks most everywhere etc etc

I've lived in the South... lived in the North... lived in the Central Valley... they all feel like different states, which is kind of part of the California charm and fabric of this crazy place.

Finally - have to say that some laws actually make sense. It was fun to ride in the back of my buddy's pickup when we were off on beer runs back in the day at UC Davis.

But some years later - following a pickup on the 405 in the SF Valley - a kid took a bounce out of the back and slammed into the central divider. Flew out like a big stuffed animal and died on the spot I am sure. That's probably a good law on the books for CA and virtually anywhere.

OK - am only 3rd generation - but have never had a fight with anyone or anything related to CA state government. FTB never came to my door with pitchforks and swords. When we built a pool a few years ago, the county permit people were polite and helpful. He left a handwritten note saying he thought the design was cool. I'm not a gun guy, but if you are fine by me. Just please don't tell me you need an AR-15 in the arsenal.

Yeah - taxes are too high - there are too many of us - traffic sucks most everywhere etc etc

I've lived in the South... lived in the North... lived in the Central Valley... they all feel like different states, which is kind of part of the California charm and fabric of this crazy place.

Finally - have to say that some laws actually make sense. It was fun to ride in the back of my buddy's pickup when we were off on beer runs back in the day at UC Davis.

But some years later - following a pickup on the 405 in the SF Valley - a kid took a bounce out of the back and slammed into the central divider. Flew out like a big stuffed animal and died on the spot I am sure. That's probably a good law on the books for CA and virtually anywhere.

So you are saying I'm a threat to you if I ride in the back of a pickup. Otherwise there is no reason to make me a criminal for doing it.

We are from different eras. I don't believe my KTM 300 EXC is a threat to you. California thinks otherwise. I don't think my horses or cows are either. Californian officials are different.

Many Californians are urbanized beyond all recognition. They have no adventurous spirit left. They want to be controlled in most aspects of life by strangers. I'm not from that background.

Let's put the neo-Californians in perspective: My concrete tilt-up commercial freestanding building has to have sprinklers and annual inspections. It's steel-beam and drywall interior with no flammable storage. Even a fire extinguisher warehouse is required to be sprinklered. There has not been a commercial fire in this area for decades. And I must leave 50% of my roof uncovered with solar panels for "fire access" even though there is no reason for a firefighter to go on a flat roof of 8000 sqft concrete and steel building.

PS - I don't own an AR-15, and I eat everything I hunt. But I'm better off hunting in American states, not California. I haven't hunted in 20 years for fear of breaking one of the 400+ California firearm restrictions.

Last edited:
Reactions: drdumont
So you are saying I'm a threat to you if I ride in the back of a pickup. Otherwise there is no reason to make me a criminal for doing it.

We are from different eras. I don't believe my KTM 300 EXC is a threat to you. California thinks otherwise. I don't think my horses or cows are either. Californian officials are different.

Many Californians are urbanized beyond all recognition. They have no adventurous spirit left. They want to be controlled in most aspects of life by strangers. I'm not from that background.

Let's put the neo-Californians in perspective: My concrete tilt-up commercial freestanding building has to have sprinklers and annual inspections. It's steel-beam and drywall interior with no flammable storage. Even a fire extinguisher warehouse is required to be sprinklered. There has not been a commercial fire in this area for decades. And I must leave 50% of my roof uncovered with solar panels for "fire access" even though there is no reason for a firefighter to go on a flat roof of 8000 sqft concrete and steel building.

PS - I don't own an AR-15, and I eat everything I hunt. But I'm better off hunting in American states, not California. I haven't hunted in 20 years for fear of breaking one of the 400+ California firearm restrictions.
I was just providing a different viewpoint to see if there was some common ground there.

And I didn't say you're a criminal either. Perhaps a crabby dude - but that's all I can ascertain at the moment.

I was just providing a different viewpoint to see if there was some common ground there.

And I didn't say you're a criminal either. Perhaps a crabby dude - but that's all I can ascertain at the moment.

No harm, no foul. We used to do all kinds of crazy things in the 60's through 80's. Now we are heavily restricted. Texas has a lot more freedom. Check out their zoning laws or lack thereof.