Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

elon musk, please bring back the 40kwh car!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can imagine that a 40 kWh model would sell much better now the Model-S is proven and selling so successful. However, not only is Tesla somewhat constrained on accu cells, sales of the cars is also production capacity constrained, not demand constrained. It will probably take installation and start-up of one (or two ??) new production line(s) for Tesla to become demand constrained and then consider bringing a 40 kWh model to the market on which they make less profit in absolute terms than a 60 or 85 kWh model.

It would still be interesting to investigate how much demand there is now for a 40 kWh model. The picture could be very different now compared to a year ago and the demand quite surprising.

Thanks everyone for bringing me back to earth.. Currently, I am comfortable to purchase a car for around 65k+ (tax included).. but to get 60kwh, I would need to spend around 80k+ (sales tax included; before federal tax credits).. and this is for a basic car.. meaning just base 60kwh with metallic color option and parcel shelf.. it's about 72k before tax.. so I am looking at around 80k with sale tax (Before tax credits). It would be great for me to purchase the 40kwh car now and UNLOCK to the 60kwh and super charger later.. it's like getting a loan from tesla with the interest for that $12k.. anyhow... I am just still dreaming..

If you are comfortable with $65k for a car tax included, and a 60 with metalic paint and parcel shelf is $79.2k (with tax) - $10k in credits ($7500 federal, $2500 CA State) = $69.2k, I'd say just stretch out of you comfort zone by $4,200 and get the 60. With 1.49% interest loans (still available from Alliant credit union) it's not that far off of getting a "free" loan anyway.

If you can stretch your comfort zone to about $75k (including taxes and rebates), I'd recommend the tech package and parking sensors.

I agree with everyone. Take an extra year and set aside a special fund to make up the different between the 40kWh price and the 60kWh. You'll also gain a year of improvements in the Model S.

I agree with everyone. Take an extra year and set aside a special fund to make up the different between the 40kWh price and the 60kWh. You'll also gain a year of improvements in the Model S.

Devil's advocate says: he'll also get a year's worth of price increases. (But on the flip side should have a bigger selection of used cars on the market.)

Hi All, I just want to say.. I want to buy the 40kwh car. elon.. do you hear me? 60kwh is too expensive for me.. my daily commute is about 30mi total..

I suspect you can find a pre-owned 85 with 25K to 30K miles on it at the same price as a brand new 40 (if they were available today). Getting the pre-owned S will allow you to use the supercharger network if you ever had a need or desire.
Go for it. Then report back with photos!

I suspect you can find a pre-owned 85 with 25K to 30K miles on it at the same price as a brand new 40 (if they were available today). Getting the pre-owned S will allow you to use the supercharger network if you ever had a need or desire.

Right now, such a car that that price point does not exist (trust me, I have been looking). I do think used model S prices will eventually drop down a little bit once the production backlog for new vehicles gets caught up, but that most likely is not going to happen any time soon.

I really doubt this. Totalled 85kwh cars go for $50k now, so getting a car with no damage for close to that would be a pipe dream.

The Model S 40 was priced at $57.5K (with no options) two years ago. If it existed today, it would cost at least $63K (pre-tax credit). There may be some high mileage (30,000 mi) cars with the 85 which were delivered a year ago. If not, then in 12 months there will surely be a bunch when many Model S owners sell their car to purchase the Model X.

The Model S 40 was priced at $57.5K (with no options) two years ago. If it existed today, it would cost at least $63K (pre-tax credit). There may be some high mileage (30,000 mi) cars with the 85 which were delivered a year ago. If not, then in 12 months there will surely be a bunch when many Model S owners sell their car to purchase the Model X.

Let's not forget that the used vehicle would not get the tax credit, so you can compare the price of a used car to the pre-tax credit price of a 40. As I said earlier, if anyone wants to sell me their Model S for 50k, please message me immediately. A 60 or 85 with 30k miles is fine with me at that price!

I actually surprised no one has mentioned the 40kWh car doesn't actually exist. They are really 60kWh cars software limited to 40kWh. Meaning Tesla was either just breaking even or losing money on each one it had to roll off the line.

I for one do not see a 40kWh car returning soon. 200mi range is going to be 60kWh+ all day long. Tesla doesn't want to be a leaf, they are looking to break that convention.

Also as mentioned previously, if you have $50K - $60K to spend I would heavily consider contacting your local Tesla store to see what inventory cars may exist around that price. Chances are, there maybe a 60kWh that has been traded for a P85 but only your local Tesla store would know the pricing and availability.

I don't think the performance was up to par on the actual prototype 40, compared with the software limited 60. At least that's what I recall as one of the reasons they didn't make it (along with the real reason that it would be a money loser). I agree with a previous poster that with the popularity of the car today compared to last year, Tesla could sell a lot of 40's. And I also agree they have no reason to do so, with a production backlog of higher ASP cars. With the options I chose, the price increases and the discontinuation of the 40 battery price, my car would be something like $17k more than I paid for it. And I have absolutely no need for the added range. In fact, the way I sold the car to my wife was by saying, "there's no way this car will be this price next year". Even a broken clock is right twice a day...

I don't think the performance was up to par on the actual prototype 40, compared with the software limited 60. At least that's what I recall as one of the reasons they didn't make it (along with the real reason that it would be a money loser). I agree with a previous poster that with the popularity of the car today compared to last year, Tesla could sell a lot of 40's. And I also agree they have no reason to do so, with a production backlog of higher ASP cars. With the options I chose, the price increases and the discontinuation of the 40 battery price, my car would be something like $17k more than I paid for it. And I have absolutely no need for the added range. In fact, the way I sold the car to my wife was by saying, "there's no way this car will be this price next year". Even a broken clock is right twice a day...

The 40 wasn't selling. It was less then 2% of sales, which is why it wasn't a money maker. Look how many people got 60's that are wishing they got 85's... you are all right, NO WAY 40 is coming back.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel they don't need a gen3. Just the 40kWh with optional supercharging. A 40kWh would work for me if it could supercharge. Also If it was a software locked 60kWh battery that I could pay for later that would be all the better. The "smaller" gen3 depending on how much smaller just won't work for me. My LEAF is too tight of fit and my prius is ok. the Model S would be a very nice fit with growing room.

While I see where you're coming from, we'd all like a 80,000+ car for 50k. You may just have to wait and pick up a used one in a few years.

Sure they do. Why should they take a $10k hit on a car with a 60kWh battery?
I see what you did there, and I disagree.

If Tesla buys back a 40 and resells it as a 40, they're not "taking a $10k hit". They're missing out on a "$10k opportunity". There's a big difference, IMO. It's this kind of mindset that confuses "cancelling a tax" as "government giving you money". Anyway, just struck a nerve.