Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Unmasked as Top Donor to House Republican PAC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since it is well known, and well documented that the US government routinely attempts to effect elections in lots of other governments, why should they be so hypocritical about other governments trying to influence our elections. Believe it is routinely done all the time.

If you want a good example, google Bay of Pigs.

We have started wars to attempt to overthrow foreign governments we did not agree with.

Since it is well known, and well documented that the US government routinely attempts to effect elections in lots of other governments, why should they be so hypocritical about other governments trying to influence our elections. Believe it is routinely done all the time.

If you want a good example, google Bay of Pigs.

We have started wars to attempt to overthrow foreign governments we did not agree with.
Yes, but that doesn't mean that other countries effected don't try to hold us accountable.

Let me ask you a series of questions:

1) Do you believe giving money to a politician buys at a minimum, access, and quite possibly influence?

2) Tesla is currently dealing with all sorts of regulatory and legal issues in a variety of states.

3) The republicans are in control of much of our government right now.

4) Who do you think, buying access to or even influence, would do the most good? Republicans or Democrats?

If you ask me, purely from a business standpoint, I see little reason to try to gain access to, or influence someone I already agree with.
This.

Never mind that what he donated to one Republican PAC was .5% of what he gave Sierra Club. And let's all ignore the fact that he has given heavily to ACLU for a number of years.

He's running a public company. He has to be able to hold conversations with both sides of the aisle. He can't do his job without those doors being open.

But if he donated to a party that is responsible for the refugee crisis in Libya, one of the biggest since ww2, where 100s of men women and children are drowning in the Mediterranean right now, at this moment and have been for years, that would be alright?

568756-refugees-sabratha-libya-sea-reuters.jpg

Stop having hissy fits.

If any of you had been running tesla it would failed before it got started.

If you want to influence something you got to be part of it. Surprised he hasn't donated more.

Think of the bigger picture and the goal.

Good thing TMC members are not so easily manipulated by the media!

By the "lyin media", or the (((media)))? Or is that the same thing? Maybe I need to spend a bit more time on twitter, to fully understand the bad media.

On the main topic, Musk donating to republicans, yep that's how modern democracy basically works. You have money, you give it to politicians, the sheep vote for them, they enforce favorable policies to make you even richer, rinse, repeat.

Donating to both parties is just wise in general. Basically hatching your bets.

If you think you can project all your hopes into a billionaire, you are delusional. If you want things to change, you have to change them yourself, not just buy a car...

But Tesla still makes good cars, so no reason to not buy Teslas.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrad6515
"Donated to Republicans" is not useful information.
Find out which Republicans, and why.

My wife was astonished when I told her I was thinking of registering as a Republican last year, but the rationale was simple: all the local winners are Republican, so if I want a vote that matters in the primaries that is what is needed. And needless to say I did take a shower afterwards.

1) Yes in this corrupt country

2) This would make logical sense if he was donating to politicians specifically, but he donated to a PAC whose sole purpose is to keep GOP candidates in and Democrats out

3) Tell me about it

4) Democrats. Get the GOP out in Nov

I’ve changed my original post BTW. I’m going to wait and see... but if I go home with a $70k Tesla and my wife thinks it’s gone to the xenophobic women-hating party (which she will) I’m going to be in a lot of trouble...

I hope she enjoys the Bolt or BMWi3 as much as she does the S.

• Funny
Reactions: kosarfan and heems
How quick we all are to think we have the right conclusion or information.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Kinda harsh, but dead on. ;)

I again repeat my original statement. Identity politics is the problem. Both sides fan the flames. Both sides make sure to stoke the tribal nature we all have.

If we are going to survive as a species we need to move beyond this tribal purity test.
We either have discussion or conflict.

I hope we choose discussion.

Very true, but I see it going the other way. With the internet it's just too easy to live in your own bubble right now.

And if someone doesn't say what you want to hear, they are lying, conspiring and bad. And it's hard to have a discussion, if everyone with a different opinion is a lier that can't be trusted. People just seem to need an enemy, to build a group. My enemies enemy is my friend.

Things like that have been used for a long time. The Nazis had the bad Jews controlling the banks and press and therefore a clear enemy. In the cold war, there were two sides so wrong and bad, that every new wrongdoing was justified. Christianity has the devil. Islamic terrorism has the western culture.

Sadly once you are in an ideology like that, you won't get out of it easily. Because everyone who wants to convince you, that you're even partially wrong, is automatically an enemy.

But in the end evolution will decide if our collective made out of humans can succeed. I somewhat doubt it. We don't work well as a group, compared to ants for example. So therefore I also doubt we are the best that evolution can do.

Most businesses give money to gain access to politicians that will have influence on their businesses.

They do not necessariarly need to agree with all the policies of that politician, but still want to have access.

Believe this is kind of how it works in all societies all over the world, both liberal and conservative.

People often seem to feel the need to punish those that believe differently than they do. Usually accomplishes little more than allowing you to feel better and vent rage.

Reactions: EinSV
This ^^^^^^^. I love how party affiliation can immediately distort perception and create tribal rivals, wonder who fans this divide and why? Wonder why the poster started this thread? Qui Bono?

Reminds me of the movie Quest for Fire
80,000 years ago, man's survival in a vast uncharted land depended on the possession of fire. For those early humans, fire was an object of great mystery, since no one had mastered its creation. Fire had to be stolen from nature, it had to be kept alive - sheltered from wind and rain, guarded from rival tribes. Fire was a symbol of power and a means of survival. The tribe who possessed fire, possessed life.

What is the fire today?

Stop following the herd and fight the urge to be a Sheeple. Think and use your dollars to support what drives the tribe trying to keep "your flame" alive.