Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk vs. Short sellers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the book & OP mentions, Chanos threw crumbs at the analysts and in exchange, used them as cutouts to attack Fairfax, with Chanos being the man behind the curtains.

As it turns out, Montana Septic has a possible Chanos connection, getting some juicy Enron bankruptcy litigation morsels thrown his way!!

ytCropper | QTR #23 - Montana Skeptic Talks About How Tesla Reminds Him of Enron

And boy, there were a lot of bottom feeders during the Enron bankruptcy

CASHING IN BIG-TIME ON ENRON'S COLLAPSE Gravy train for lawyers & accountants

So is MS one of the many cut-outs for Chanos? For someone with a self admitted modest short via “long dated puts” , he is certainly investing an inordinate amount of time in Seeking alpha and Twitter, bashing Tesla. Maybe the ultimate prize he is waiting for is the elusive Tesla bankruptcy gravy train.

Last edited:
Here is Business Insider's report on the lawsuit.
Tesla is suing the employee Elon Musk claimed committed sabotage against the company

No mention of their own role in the affair.

Also I just love the last line:

yeah, sounds about right. they have a different author taking credit on that article. they probably told linette lopez to cool down, after all she’s the one that wrote the fraudulent article to begin with, as you pointed out earlier. thanks for that, btw.
let’s not forget that BI sold out years ago...
Business Insider Sold to German Media Giant
but they never were really known for their credibility.

yeah, sounds about right. they have a different author taking credit on that article. they probably told linette lopez to cool down, after all she’s the one that wrote the fraudulent article to begin with, as you pointed out earlier. thanks for that, btw.
let’s not forget that BI sold out years ago...
Business Insider Sold to German Media Giant
but they never were really known for their credibility.
When Elon promised a world of hurt for the shorts, about three weeks ago, do you suppose this disgruntled employee figures into to it some how?
Meaning,, there will be a allot of ramification for someone higher up that will affect the Tesla stock price?

When Elon promised a world of hurt for the shorts, about three weeks ago, do you suppose this disgruntled employee figures into to it some how?
Meaning,, there will be a allot of ramification for someone higher up that will affect the Tesla stock price?
at this point, nothing is out of realm of possibility. i’d rather the hurt come from company performance, as that’s better for LT goals. but if there is unethical/possibly fraudulent things going on, we need to snuff that out.

Question to experts here: If stealing IP information is felony, and if selling that to a third party is also a felony, what about the recipient of that information that profits from it?

Will this slimeball Lopez be behind bars too?

What is the implication to the outfit, Business Insider, that knowingly published articles based on stolen and false information?

Do journalist get a pass on anything just because they supposedly represent the press?

And more importantly because she is a woman, can she play the woman card and turn it into a harassment case against Tesla. This one is not a joke, it is happening already in twitter circles.

......Tillerson figured this out and engineered the slickest exit I've ever seen......

This was an excellent post by @neroden on the Market board, and perhaps quite applicable to the Tesla FUD/Shorting effort. Given the very high profile and very deep pockets of individuals and corporations that may be working hard to crush Tesla for profit, it is my belief that there exists an outcome that hasn't been discussed here yet. That is that behind-the-scenes these individuals and corporations will be allowed the opportunity to quietly exit their short positions and end their FUD efforts in exchange for not making their efforts known publicly. Ultimately a couple small individuals will be taken down very visibly as being the cause of something well beyond their capability - it happens all the time when scapegoats are named to protect agencies and individuals. And the result will still be the same - a short squeeze will occur as the short positions are required to be exited and good news returns to the forefront. This method would also give Wall Street a chance to control the rate of the squeeze, which I think they would find highly desirable. This may have already begun by Tesla publicly nailing a single individual to the wall for sabotage instead of the greater order of FUDsters and Shorters.

Would Elon accept these terms if he had all the proof he needed to publicly hang the bigger parties involved? At first glance I thought 'No', but I have since come to the conclusion that he/TSLA still benefit immeasurably by such an outcome, and he certainly understands that this is common practice so I believe he would ultimately be agreeable to such terms. The rise in share price coinciding with TSLA profitability and improved ability to meet its original goals of rapidly expanding more sustainable solutions must be far more important to him at the core. Such an outcome would still create potential for multiple GF's with greater financial security.

And in the end it is becoming more clear every day that the World needs Tesla to succeed and their technology to be adopted everywhere. And thus the US ultimately needs Tesla to succeed to sustain a role of technological and manufacturing leadership. The alternative of sustaining the efforts of Detroit auto manufacturers, coal and natural gas plants, and an aging grid infrastructure is the surest way to make sure many other countries leap frog the US into the future. That is why arguments from non-autonomous truck drivers and Joe-Six Packs mentioned in the forum may hold 'some' near-term water, but they ultimately must be ignored for the greater good of the US and the Planet.

Do we have evidence it is BS?

I think both sides should wait before saying one side is "wrong"

I find it very odd how Tesla is bringing the big guns to a blue collar guy who leaked production info. Seems like there has to be more to the story right? I mean Tesla ~~~~~~leaks production info to electrek weekly.

The battery accusation is pretty serious actually

It would be very brave/stupid of Tesla to sue the guy and make it so very public if he was telling the truth.

Question to experts here: If stealing IP information is felony, and if selling that to a third party is also a felony, what about the recipient of that information that profits from it?

I don't think the data he stole would actually be classified as IP. Pretty sure it's just a bunch of logs from various systems, not actual technology.

TGiven the very high profile and very deep pockets of individuals and corporations that may be working hard to crush Tesla for profit, it is my belief that there exists an outcome that hasn't been discussed here yet. That is that behind-the-scenes these individuals and corporations will be allowed the opportunity to quietly exit their short positions and end their FUD efforts in exchange for not making their efforts known publicly.

That would be illegal though, wouldn't it? Somebody has to pay for those shares somehow and it's also stock manipulation at it's best. If I shorted the stock as an individual would I also be given this chance? I don't know much about US laws and SEC rules, but it sounds very illegal in principal.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I don't think the data he stole would actually be classified as IP. Pretty sure it's just a bunch of logs from various systems, not actual technology.

From lawsuit:
At that point, Tripp admitted to writing software that hacked Tesla’s MOS and to transferring several gigabytes of confidential and proprietary Tesla data to entities outside the company. This included dozens of photographs and a video of Tesla’s manufacturing systems.

I don't understand why Dana Hull would make such a sarcastic comment like that, enjoying someones misery . It is almost like a transformed Dana, that has now partnered with haters to see Tesla die.

You do realize that all the Tesla zealots are attacking Martin Tripp as the devil and has been forced to leave his house due to threats from Tesla fans.

Then we have the other side where Tesla fans get offended by a saracastic comment about the craziness of end of quarter by a bloomberg reporter.

ya, that's reasonable

I don't understand why Dana Hull would make such a sarcastic comment like that, enjoying someones misery . It is almost like a transformed Dana, that has now partnered with haters to see Tesla die.

did she even reference tesla in that tweet?

even if she did, probably important not to mix dana and lopez. one is a real reporter, and i don’t always agree with her, and i do think something is up why she changed her tune. i wrote about it somewhere on here in the past. but i still have respect for BB and dana.

LL is a clear hater. every article has malicious, entitled overtone

did she even reference tesla in that tweet?

even if she did, probably important not to mix dana and lopez. one is a real reporter, and i don’t always agree with her, and i do think something is up why she changed her tune. i wrote about it somewhere on here in the past. but i still have respect for BB and dana.

LL is a clear hater. every article has malicious, entitled overtone
Oh, she is not near Lopez level. But I can see a clear transformation in Dana over the last year. I remember she used to post here in TMC and was very factual - not a cheer leader but always just reported even the negative news without the slanted tone and exaggerations.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and JRP3
Then we have the other side where Tesla fans get offended by a saracastic comment about the craziness of end of quarter by a bloomberg reporter.

if it is from one of your short buddies who are eager to see this company go bankrupt - that is par for the course. They don't have any moral compass or integrity in their lives - low lives and bottom feeders of the financial industry - and all they care about is to make money hook or crook over the livelihoods of hard working 40k employees and their families. In fact it is expected of them.

But for a reporter who expresses such a negative sarcastic tone, how can I trust on all her future reporting?

Last edited:
Oh, she is not near Lopez level. But I can see a clear transformation in Dana over the last year. I remember she used to post here in TMC and was very factual - not a cheer leader but always just reported even the negative news without the slanted tone and exaggerations.

I’ve been active on these forums almost daily since 2009. Can’t remember when I first started seeing her around here, but I absolutely agree: sometime in the last year, something got into her and changed her.

Probably someone’s money.

I’ve been active on these forums almost daily since 2009. Can’t remember when I first started seeing her around here, but I absolutely agree: sometime in the last year, something got into her and changed her.

Probably someone’s money.

It coincidences with her move to Bloomberg from the Mercury News. While at Mercury she was definitely more balanced, one might even say slightly 'pro Tesla/EM. The switch to Bloomberg would be considered a move up for a journalist I suspect but IMO Bloomberg wanted more 'clicks' from her articles resulting in a bias towards negative/click bait articles concerning Tesla.

Her pay has probably increased with the move, and, IMO, her objectivity has decreased substantially.