Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best hope is they create a program whereby FSD has its set retail value and dimminishes some amount each month until it becomes worthless in a trade up. Arguably this should be about the same as the monthly cost of FSD thus equalizing with the subscription program they want people on.
That means those who paid $2-8k, 5-7 years ago would have zero value on the FSD if they traded today. The problem there, the original description of FSD hasn't been delivered to ANY of those people. After Tesla actually delivers true level 4 driving...then maybe we can look at that. But since they'll probably never make it to L4 with today's hardware, it's a moot argument.

That means those who paid $2-8k, 5-7 years ago would have zero value on the FSD if they traded today. The problem there, the original description of FSD hasn't been delivered to ANY of those people. After Tesla actually delivers true level 4 driving...then maybe we can look at that. But since they'll probably never make it to L4 with today's hardware, it's a moot argument.
I agree completely, the timer doesn’t start until it’s actually delivered.

Reactions: dbldwn02
This sucks. With the price drop on the S/X being so massive I basically paid for FSD even though I "transferred" it
Pretty much what they were hoping everyone would do. And with FSD Beta not being available for HW4 until this week, you pretty much paid for the privilege of going without it for a while. Not that it does much any ways.

Not to mention that FSD is $12k now. AND all paint colors are included for ModelX to keep it under $80k for the tax credit. Wow!

Last edited:
Reactions: johnny_cakes
This sucks. With the price drop on the S/X being so massive I basically paid for FSD even though I "transferred" it
That really sucks. I was on the fence but knew there's no way I'd pull the trigger until the last day of the quarter because of Tesla's wild price fluctuations. Anyone really believe that Tesla will stop allowing the transfer at end of quarter? I'd really like to wait till end of year and get a 2024.

Reactions: jbrady3324
That really sucks. I was on the fence but knew there's no way I'd pull the trigger until the last day of the quarter because of Tesla's wild price fluctuations. Anyone really believe that Tesla will stop allowing the transfer at end of quarter? I'd really like to wait till end of year and get a 2024.
I think they extend the transfer to end of year. And likely bring it back at some point next year. They need sales.

Pretty much what they were hoping everyone would do. And with FSD Beta not being available for HW4 until this week, you pretty much paid for the privilege of going without it for a while. Not that it does much any ways.

Not to mention that FSD is $12k now. AND all paint colors are included for ModelX to keep it under $80k for the tax credit. Wow!
Yeah with this price reduction I effectively PAID $14,000 for FSD. So Elon totally hoodwinked me. This is what I get for being loyal and paying attention during the earnings call and getting overly excited.

The fact that they announced and offered a SR version of the S and X for just two weeks then discontinued them and moved standard range to an even lower price shows that no-one is at the controls of pricing and offers. We here trying to put logic on what they will do is a fool's task.
Being said fool..... the FSD transfer should always have been offered but for some reason Elon (I assume) has always blocked it. With worries of Highland keeping buyers on the sidelines he finally pulled that lever to generate revenue and units in Q3. Highland will do that in Q4 so I expect the promotion to end on schedule.
Time will tell if it was a good idea to move a bunch of earlier FSD buyers (so big Tesla fans by large) into the current generation of sensors and HW.

I feel for you. But also for myself. Purchased a MY this week. I would have definitely purchased a MX if I had known. I contact the sales people to ask if I can exchange (and of course pay the difference) since the car is only 3 days old. Answer seems to be a resounding no. I don't know if I have any recourse, but looking for ideas.

I feel for you. But also for myself. Purchased a MY this week. I would have definitely purchased a MX if I had known. I contact the sales people to ask if I can exchange (and of course pay the difference) since the car is only 3 days old. Answer seems to be a resounding no. I don't know if I have any recourse, but looking for ideas.
The closest thing you can do is a trade-in, but the value will be significantly lower regardless. As soon as you take delivery, the value will immediately drop as it can't be titled anymore as a new car.

Reactions: JB47394
I feel like they should have waited till October for these price drops. Make the FSD transfer actually mean something uniform the whole quarter. It would have been effectively a wash for me if they dropped the price on October 1 cause I wouldn't have been able to transfer FSD. Tesla themselves don't like the "end of quarter push" but they bring it upon themselves when they make the price better by 20k overnight.

This price drop was probably done to make their lineup make sense with the Cybertruck imminently coming.

To be safe, I would wait until you've picked up your MY and confirmed that the FSD transfer went through. At the very least, I would make sure that FSD has been removed from your M3 trade before selling. There was a message on the screen when mine had been removed. I would take a picture of that and then a picture showing your info screen with VIN and Autopilot level.
I did the same and sold my M3 however my new MY shows a basic FSD implementation however the FSzd Beta button is disabled ... further reading it seems that FzsD Beta is not available for all new MYs with HW4. Hmmmm

I still haven't gotten the FSD Beta update enabled.... maybe I'm way down the list?
Like all other software updates, you never know when it’s coming to you. Patience. I’m still waiting for a FSD Beta build in my HW4 S after subscribing to FSD.
I can attest to this. 2017MS with MCU1. I'm on 2022.8.10.15 which is still running FSD 10.69...so I'm waaay behind. Don't expect to see FSD 11 or 12 for a couple years, unless I fork out $2k for MCU2. Happy I have FSD-Alpha /s at least...can't imagine subscribing to it without actually having it. That would be upsetting.

I won't make a big stink about what version I'm on, until FSD goes actually for reals L4, which is probably never, so I just enjoy what I have.

Reactions: Ccsdk