Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious to the details too.

As I understand it, and based on FUSC transferring into 3+ years of FUSC for S/X in Q2 2023, my guess is the following will apply:
  • Must have a 'donor' Tesla (S/X/3/Y) with FSD
  • Must purchase a new Tesla (S/X/3/Y) by Sep 30 2023
  • Must take delivery of Tesla purchased by Sep 30 2023 in 'reasonable' time frame
  • Must elect to strip FSD off donor Tesla and inform Tesla of new VIN to apply FSD to (FUSC did this with a supplemental form at/or prior to delivery)
Edited to add - may want to check out this thread too: Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

Or you can just do the right thing and allow everyone to transfer it to their new vehicle because it is the right thing to do for loyal customers who have stuck with your brand from the inception.

Of course not. I can't even type that with a straight face.

200w.gif

I'm already past the 50K mile (non-drivetrain) warranty period on my 22 MYLR that I paid 10K for FSD on 21 months ago, and the feature is still not delivered.

I have no intent to trade in my car anytime soon (maybe closer to the 100k mark). Does me no good.
I think if I were in your exact position, I would at leastbe thinking about it. My car is about a month older than yours (2021 model), but with a more typical 16k miles, so yeah I haven't been considering any replacement.

But for you, you're putting a lot of miles on. That somewhat hurts the used / trade-in value. But still it's a 2022 model which helps. If you price a refresh now, you'll be keeping the FSD plus getting the $7,500 credit. If you wait another 18 months or more, you'll have a three to four model year old, 100K mile car. Unless Elon relents further, your replacement at that point won't have any FSD credit, who knows what the FSD price will be for buy or subscribe.

Anyway, those are my thoughts in your particular case. It's not just a FOMO thing regarding the FSD offer, it has to do with the optimal time to sell a still-nice car with rapidly accumulating mileage. You might at least get a trade-in quote from Tesla, and also see what the market price is for your car with FSD removed (assuming that the offer does not require trade in to Tesla).

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I seem to remember something about changing the OTA updates to end in 8 years for new vehicles? No specified end for my 2020?

Some of us may hang on to our cars until they pry their cold dead bodies from our ironfisted SFD-enabling-grip.

That said, I sure wish I had a heated steering wheel...

I dislike that we have to find out news like this through forums and Twitter feeds because it's a $15k impact to customers. It's been like that for a while though, I never would have upgraded from EA to FSD for $2k back in 2019 if I didn't watch Elon's feed. I find some comfort in other's comments because I feel the same way, I don't want to give up a $15k option but it causes me to scream at the car more than I would like, upsets my passengers, and honestly makes me a less attentive driver.

We still need details. I imagine a few people are in a cubicle right now trying to figure out how to react quickly to this comment made for stockholder Q&A.

Do you have to trade in? Then, the value of this offer is greatly diminished.
What about customers that already bought a new car in Q3? What if you bought a car today? There's no info or guarantee on the order page.
What if you're trying to sell your car privately before or at the same time as you purchase a new car? That transfer could be a mess.

Reactions: GalacticHero
I will wait for refressh model 3. Did anyone also notice yesterday it was revealed Samsung is working on HW5 for Tesla using 4nm technology. Granted
a few years away, He said allow ALL FSD owners to transfer. He promised alot but didn't deliver.
I think the Q3 window is to drive sales in Q3 and to try to prevent people for waiting for the Highland M3 or CT, which almost certainly won't be ready in time to order and transfer.

My feeling is UNLESSS you get the upgraded and more cameras all HW4 does is process images faster.
There's no legitimate rumor of more cameras coming, but they are upgraded by almost 5x the resolution.

Edit: Also, HW4 has the ability for redundancy, something eliminating due to needing more power on HW3. Many logically believe this will prevent HW3 from ever being actually autonomous.

I bought my car without EAP in Jul of 2017 and bought FSD, which included EAP, for $5,000 USD the morning Elon announced the fire sale.

Fair enough, there are likely a small subset of people in that situation, but even with that being said, even that small subset of people did NOT pay "2k or 3k for FSD" as the person I quoted said, and as a lot of people try to bring up in conversation on FSD pricing.

Reactions: GSP
[Speculation/conjecture/BS] HW4 won't see its full potential until Highlander. I bet Highlander will have the radar and 2 more front cameras. With Juniper next and then the Model "2". And of course the S and X following if/when if gets its next refresh.