Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My feeling is UNLESS you get the upgraded and more cameras all HW4 does is process images faster.
HW4 side cameras have slightly wider field of view which helps at T intersections, and they have much higher resolution and color, which helps with estimating distant vehicle speeds. The speed increase of the HW4 computer will also help with making faster decisions, I’ve found my HW3 computer reacting slower than me sometimes (not always, of course). It’ll be a worthy upgrade whenever FSDb gets released for it.

Reactions: GSP
[Speculation/conjecture/BS] HW4 won't see its full potential until Highlander. I bet Highlander will have the radar and 2 more front cameras. With Juniper next and then the Model "2". And of course the S and X following if/when if gets its next refresh.
Why would you think they would add additional cameras to Highland and not CT? (Outside of the front parking camera) We've seen the creative way they designed the CT to provide the same camera views as current cars. It's just unlikely we get this new camera placement so many are confident in, despite 0 rumors indicating them coming.

HW4 side cameras have slightly wider field of view which helps at T intersections, and they have much higher resolution and color, which helps with estimating distant vehicle speeds. The speed increase of the HW4 computer will also help with making faster decisions, I’ve found my HW3 computer reacting slower than me sometimes (not always, of course). It’ll be a worthy upgrade whenever FSDb gets released for it.
The repeater camera still doesn't see forward enough for T intersections It's still looking back instead of side,

1689871278970.png

Reactions: pilotSteve
I am currently in the process of trading my wife's FSD enabled vehicle for a new order. I sent the sales team a note asking how the transfer works and they replied that I needed to confirm that I wanted the trade-in quote to be evaluated without FSD value (i.e. I'm not giving them a vehicle back with FSD). I assume they're going to rip my eyes out in valuation thusly.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and dbldwn02
I am currently in the process of trading my wife's FSD enabled vehicle for a new order. I sent the sales team a note asking how the transfer works and they replied that I needed to confirm that I wanted the trade-in quote to be evaluated without FSD value (i.e. I'm not giving them a vehicle back with FSD). I assume they're going to rip my eyes out in valuation thusly.
Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: Ccsdk and GSP
Yes, no radar.
Here's an interesting tidbit: apparently Tesla has very recently started delivering Model Y pre-wired for the new radar (but without the radar module itself) and a different version of the FSD computer:

No doubt that will make recent buyers before that change happy. What a mess.

And limiting the FSD transfer to Q3 is a d*ck move. Obviously they only do this as a demand lever for the upcoming quarter (which is estimated to be weaker). On the earnings call Musk sounded like he was doing existing owners who paid thousands for a feature that was never delivered a favor ("one-time amnesty") ... :rolleyes:

There's no legitimate rumor of more cameras coming, but they are upgraded by almost 5x the resolution.

Edit: Also, HW4 has the ability for redundancy, something eliminating due to needing more power on HW3. Many logically believe this will prevent HW3 from ever being actually autonomous.
Then WHY are there ports for 3 more cameras? EM says no part is better than a part Also, when EM first introduced HW3 in early 2019, he said it was designed in house and it had full redundancy

Then WHY are there ports for 3 more cameras? EM says no part is better than a part Also, when EM first introduced HW3 in early 2019, he said it was designed in house and it had full redundancy
There isn't on the Model Y, it has a different version of HW4, but those cameras are used on the Semi. The same board in the S/X is allegedly used in the CT/Semi. The CT has 1 additional camera on the front bumper, the cameras didn't move position, same with the Highland, allegedly.

HW3 had redundancy, but FSD required more compute power and Tesla used the redundancy to meet those requirements a year or so ago.