Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I misunderstood this as well when I first read it, but all it says is to be the legal owner that has Full Self Driving...at the time of delivery of the NEW TESLA...
I would not do a thing until it is better know. I think Elon pulled this out of his a$$ to answer a question and caught Tesla off guard and had to quickly write up the policy. It is a poorly worded document and very ambiguous on MANY points.

I really really really regretted not buying the FIRE SALE FSD back in the day at this point...I've been waiting for the next fire sale and what if this is it?

I'm pretty sure if I bought FSD upgrade (from EAP) through my app RIGHT NOW for 9k, I'd be able to transfer it to a new Y...but then that one line saying you can't transfer it to a new owner gets me everytime.

Reactions: dbldwn02
I really really really regretted not buying the FIRE SALE FSD back in the day at this point...I've been waiting for the next fire sale and what if this is it?

I'm pretty sure if I bought FSD upgrade (from EAP) through my app RIGHT NOW for 9k, I'd be able to transfer it to a new Y...but then that one line saying you can't transfer it to a new owner gets me everytime.
FWIW talking to an advisor today, they're saying my FSD (purchased after the car, in 2019 for $6K) would transfer to the new VIN and stay with the new VIN through 3rd party sales. However, the same advisor told me earlier in the conversation that the FSD on my current car wouldn't transfer in 3rd party sales, so YMMV :)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I’ll be picking up my MYP in a couple days and I’m going through this right now. Trading in a 2020 M3P with FSD. I was sent the form everyone has been seeing here. I signed and sent it back to my SA. SDD Is the 25th as of right now. Hopefully I should know more by Monday. Unfortunately my trade in window ends Sunday so I’m sure I’m gonna get screwed on that considering car values have been dive bombing. I’ll try to update when I get more info.

Unfortunately my trade in window ends Sunday so I’m sure I’m gonna get screwed on that considering car values have been dive bombing. I’ll try to update when I get more info.
If you got the trade-in value before you told them you were transferring the FSD you should expect it to go down around ~$3,500. (Since that seems to be what people say they give for FSD value on a trade-in. and you are no longer trading-in FSD.)

Shortly after that 2019 sale, Elon apologized for it and said Tesla would never do it again. I took advantage of the sale and got FSD for both cars -- $5k for AP/FSD and $7k for EAP/FSD. (Forget $15k X 2. I still think $12k was too much for what I got.) Of course, the biggest gripe in 2019 was that the sale happened when there was’t even a Beta FSD. But if Tesla ever finishes the promised FSD product (insert laughter here), a second sale at least would make more sense to those “aggrieved.”

I did do the transfer deal for a new model Y yesterday but I tend to keep my cars a long time — and I haven’t heard anyone brag about all of the additional value their FSD brought to them when they sold their FSD car. Of course Musk claims that will change when he has a finished product. We’ll see if I regret this deal. 🫣

I think you could upgrade from EAP to FSD and do the deal too. But it does seem a bit risky as Tesla doesn’t have much sympathy for mistakes by customers. I know there was a lot of chatter about conditions that really don’t seem to exist. Some people claimed only those who bought FSD with their new car purchase qualify. I didn’t do that and I received written confirmation that I qualified. But your situation is much different.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
Tesla has never Tesla’d as hard as they’re Tesla-ing right now.

I’m on my fourth advisor who just informed me that I don’t qualify because I don’t have FSD. This is of course incorrect but it’s pretty funny considering they called me to offer an FSD transfer.

It’s just the island of misfit toys over there, same as it’s ever been.
Pre-model 3 I used to tell service advisors they were Maytag repairmen — nothing much to do all day. Of course that quickly flipped 180 degrees with 3‘s introduction -- and later Y. Unfortunately the underlying problem since day 1 seems to the lack of experienced staff — that, and a crazy CEO that makes off the cuff policy changes via Twitter.

Tesla has never Tesla’d as hard as they’re Tesla-ing right now.

I’m on my fourth advisor who just informed me that I don’t qualify because I don’t have FSD. This is of course incorrect but it’s pretty funny considering they called me to offer an FSD transfer.

It’s just the island of misfit toys over there, same as it’s ever been.

Mate, I'm in the same boat as you. Here's my story:

I was finalizing a new Model 3 order as part of the Q3 FSD transfer promo when the delivery center contacted me and said my 2018 Model 3 with FSD is not eligible because it has HW1 and that they are unable to transfer it over.

Has anyone else gotten similar communications? I unfortunately confirmed this with two advisors (one at my local delivery center and one at a central customer service center). However, on a whim, I called a separate service center who said that I was, in fact, eligible and wasn't sure why I was told otherwise.

Confused, angry, and now out $250 because the service advisor apparently canceled my order even after I changed my mind and asked him not to.

Also, I'm not sure why HW1 would even have anything to do with transferring the actual license over...

Would love any feedback or avenues to pursue. If I'm simply SOL then it is what it is.

To add even more confusion to this. I had the most horrible experience with a sales advisor today. Never even introduced himself so I never got a name, took forever to provide any answers. And then ghosted me after telling me I needed to cancel my order and order the new vehicle again with FSD and they would refund me the $250 after that was confirmed. When I did so the guy totally disappeared, so now I'm out $500 because i ordered twice and then canceled the first. Multiple repeated requests for a response and no answered phone calls and still nothing.
Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 11.28.13 PM.png

You will not be eligible according to #1. "...included at time of delivery..."

View attachment 958458
Just an example of how poorly this was written. ”The new Tesla vehicle“ means the new vehicle you are buying now, not the vehicle you bought years earlier, which is the vehicle that currently has FSD. People who added FSD after purchase of a new Tesla are eligible. I bought it later and have been confirmed in writing that my car is eligible. All of my paperwork is signed and approved by Tesla and I’m picking up my new Y tomorrow — with “free” FSD. (However, it is true that I cannot sell this new Y someday with FSD. That’s the one zinger.)

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ and brkaus
Can someone confirm: If I buy a new (discounted) inventory car and get an extra $1000 off for ‘loyalty’, can I also get the fsd transfer from my current car?

I know the document says no combining with other offers, so just wondering.
This is exactly what I want to know as well.

I think you do get the $1000 though. If you use ev-cpo.com to find an inventory car and click on any of the links it says you get the referral credit of $1000.

Last edited:
Just an example of how poorly this was written. ”The new Tesla vehicle“ means the new vehicle you are buying now, not the vehicle you bought years earlier, which is the vehicle that currently has FSD. People who added FSD after purchase of a new Tesla are eligible. I bought it later and have been confirmed in writing that my car is eligible. All of my paperwork is signed and approved by Tesla and I’m picking up my new Y tomorrow — with “free” FSD. (However, it is true that I cannot sell this new Y someday with FSD. That’s the one zinger.)
It is a zinger but I’ve kind of accepted it. I’ve traded two cars into Tesla both with fsd and gotten good offers (also lucky market timing). If you eventually trade in to Tesla, this ‘zinger’ likely have no affect whatsoever on their offer.

What most are getting from this offer is a ‘free’ upgrade to H4 which I’m guessing could be very helpful in the future. H3 is improving slowly but there’s clearly going to be hw limitations that H4 hopefully won’t have.

Reactions: kriskros91
It is a zinger but I’ve kind of accepted it. I’ve traded two cars into Tesla both with fsd and gotten good offers (also lucky market timing). If you eventually trade in to Tesla, this ‘zinger’ likely have no affect whatsoever on their offer.

What most are getting from this offer is a ‘free’ upgrade to H4 which I’m guessing could be very helpful in the future. H3 is improving slowly but there’s clearly going to be hw limitations that H4 hopefully won’t have.
Agree that HW4 is probably important (although some people insist unprotected lefts will be sketchy until cameras are added nearer the front of the car). Regardless, I did verify the car I am buying has HW4. That would have been a deal killer.

Reactions: kriskros91