Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Therefore, if I ordered FSD for 9k right now, I' could be a legal owner that has FSD, at the time of delivery, before a possible Sept. delivery of a New Tesla.

And, I was about to upgrade to the hardware 3 for 1k anyways, so it's really only a 8k difference to me to upgrade now and also help the resale of my "to be removed" EAP, FSD, 2018 but at least would have hw3 installed for future owners.
Yeah but then it's still $9k to get an option with a retail price of $15k and real world value of nearly zero. I'll probably transfer my FSD because I have it on an old car and getting a new Model X anyway but I put almost no value on it. I've had a Model S and Model 3 with it and I genuinely get no value and don't expect to ever.

Can someone confirm: If I buy a new (discounted) inventory car and get an extra $1000 off for ‘loyalty’, can I also get the fsd transfer from my current car?
I can confirm. The Model S I purchased yesterday was an inventory car with a $6,400 discount. I also got the $1,000 referral discount. And the FSD transfer was successful. As long as the car you are buying is “New”, you should be good!

Reactions: GSP
I initially heard you just have to order by Sept 30 but I think that document states you have to take delivery by Sept 30. I'm looking to order a Model X and transfer my FSD from my Model 3. But would love to get a 2024. Would it be possible to order a 2024 Model X before Sept 30 (I think they start producing them in October iirc) and still do the transfer?

Last edited:
I initially heard you just have to order by Sept 30 but I think that document states you have to take delivery by Sept 30. I'm looking to order a Model X and transfer my FSD from my Model 3. But would love to get a 2024. Would it be possible to order a 2024 Model X before Sept 30 (I think they start producing them in October iirc) and still do the transfer?
According to my Tesla sales rep, the answer is No! You have to take delivery by September 30. It is possible that Tesla would make an exception if, say, your car gets delayed in transit (not your fault), but even that is not guaranteed. So, if you want to make sure you get the FSD transfer, you better place your order without much delay.

According to my Tesla sales rep, the answer is No! You have to take delivery by September 30. It is possible that Tesla would make an exception if, say, your car gets delayed in transit (not your fault), but even that is not guaranteed. So, if you want to make sure you get the FSD transfer, you better place your order without much delay.
Thank you that's very helpful. I've heard stories of being able to get the current $7500 Model X inventory credit on special ordered cars... anyone do that yet?

So, to those that have done this “deal”, when you ordered you new vehicle, did you order it with the $15,000.00 FSD option and then were reimbursed the 15k? How does this work? My Y is gonna need tires by September, I might just trade it in if I can keep FSD. If someone can post an invoice, that would be great.

So, to those that have done this “deal”, when you ordered you new vehicle, did you order it with the $15,000.00 FSD option and then were reimbursed the 15k?
Yes, I was instructed to place and accept the order with the $15K FSD option included. But then, when they did the final calculations, the $15K was subtracted.

The sales tax was not assessed on the $15K FSD. Just on the car price after all discounts minus the trade-in value.

I wasn’t going to upgrade my car this year, but this FSD transfer offer was just too good to pass on.

So, today I have purchased a new 2023 Model S to replace my previous 2017 Model S and I have successfully transferred the FSD license! Thank you Tesla!
I was only getting trade in values of $24k (with the value of FSD). What did they give you for your 2017? Or did you sell it elsewhere?

Was there a form or something to fill out, how did that all play out?
Yes, there was an acceptance letter that I had to sign and accept all legal terms. (It may have been already posted somewhere in this thread or elsewhere). It included both VIN’s. As soon as I signed and submitted that letter to my sales rep, the transfer happened within an hour or two. The FSD has disappeared from my old car and it was downgraded to Standard Autopilot.

It is a zinger but I’ve kind of accepted it. I’ve traded two cars into Tesla both with fsd and gotten good offers (also lucky market timing). If you eventually trade in to Tesla, this ‘zinger’ likely have no affect whatsoever on their offer.

What most are getting from this offer is a ‘free’ upgrade to H4 which I’m guessing could be very helpful in the future. H3 is improving slowly but there’s clearly going to be hw limitations that H4 hopefully won’t have.
Ok...extremely theoretical and improbable scenario here, but it's a fun one. Hear me out...

You do the FSD transfer
...5 years later...
Tesla makes some sort of camera/radar/FSD computer breakthrough on AP4.
It goes to Level 5 (aka: real FSD)
The price of FSD is now $50k+
You can't sell your car with FSD attached because you took this deal
Trade in value of M3/Y $20-25k (5 years later)
Others with FSD can sell to robotaxi fleets for $60k+
I would be salty to say the least

Again, completely outrageous and improbable (since this car probably never see L4/5). Just fun to talk about.

Last edited:
This is one time I actually trust the sales rep. This is going to be a rough quarter for Tesla with a refresh and CT coming down the pipe. This is definitely a demand lever to jack the numbers before the next quarter. I could see some big deals coming in Sept. Free Unlimited Supercharging on Plaids, anyone?

The sales tax was not assessed on the $15K FSD. Just on the car price after all discounts minus the trade-in value.
Sales tax will depend on the state you are in. Virginia taxes the value of the car with no trade-in breaks. I hear some states do give breaks.
So I would be looking at over $2,000 in tax. And increased local personal property tax and likely increased insurance.

In Virginia, you pay tax on the value of the car with no consideration for a trade-in.
Virginia is required to collect a 4.15% Sales and Use Tax (SUT) at the time of titling whenever a vehicle is sold, and/or the ownership of the vehicle changes.
The amount due is based on the vehicle's gross sales price, or $75, whichever is greater.

What is the Gross Sales Price?

The gross sales price of a vehicle is the cost of the vehicle after any rebates or incentives are applied. It includes the dealer processing fee, but does not include any other price reductions, such as credit for trade-ins, unpaid liens or other unpaid credits.

For example...
You buy a new car from a dealer for $40,000, and trade in your old car for $5,000.
Even though you're only paying $35,000 for the new car, the gross sales price is still $40,000.

Insurance usually does
Sales tax will depend on the state you are in. Virginia taxes the value of the car with no trade-in breaks. I hear some states do give breaks.
So I would be looking at over $2,000 in tax. And increased local personal property tax and likely increased insurance.

In Virginia, you pay tax on the value of the car with no consideration for a trade-in.
Virginia is required to collect a 4.15% Sales and Use Tax (SUT) at the time of titling whenever a vehicle is sold, and/or the ownership of the vehicle changes.
The amount due is based on the vehicle's gross sales price, or $75, whichever is greater.

What is the Gross Sales Price?

The gross sales price of a vehicle is the cost of the vehicle after any rebates or incentives are applied. It includes the dealer processing fee, but does not include any other price reductions, such as credit for trade-ins, unpaid liens or other unpaid credits.

For example...
You buy a new car from a dealer for $40,000, and trade in your old car for $5,000.
Even though you're only paying $35,000 for the new car, the gross sales price is still $40,000.
Yup...this is definitely something to consider. There's always someone in the DMV literally crying because they financed a $40k car and realize they have to pay another $4k in cash to get tags. I walked into the DMV with $8500 cash to register my MS in 2017. They thought I was nuts.

Colorado gives sales tax breaks on trade-ins...that's why trade-in values here are crap. The dealership uses it as a pressure tactic to get you to trade to them vs. selling on your own and missing out on tax break.

All sales taxes combined are up to 8.2% of the MSRP (depending on where you live).
Annual ownership tax is up to 2.1% of 75% of the MSRP. (Example: 40,000 * 0.75 * 0.021 = $630)

So, while Virginia doesn't give credit for trade-ins, at least you don't have to pay 10% of the value of the car to register it.

EAP is a subset of FSD. If you buy FSD it MUST include ALL EAP features since FSD has all the features of EAP plus more. So since you have already bought FSD you have also already effectively bought EAP since it is all inclusive.
I purchased EAP first and added FSD later, so I didn’t assume both would transfer until the Tesla agent confirmed that. But since I purchased FSD after delivery, I’m not eligible for the transfer according to that agent. If anyone else who purchased FSD after delivery is able to transfer FSD, please let us know.

Question to those who took the FSD transfer offer. Are you doing it knowing that FSD won't transfer with the new car when you sell it in the future? Or did you find out that clause #4 in the T&C is wrong and you will be able to sell the car with FSD in the future? Or are you not sure and don't care?

I don't care personally. The current used car / trade-in market around here places de minimus value on FSD, so leaving it with my old vehicle is basically throwing it away. Transferring it to the new vehicle, even if that's the end of the line, allows me to extend the lifetime of the original purchase for that much longer. Honestly, I wasn't really planning on buying it on my new car so this is just a bonus for me.

Question to those who took the FSD transfer offer. Are you doing it knowing that FSD won't transfer with the new car when you sell it in the future? Or did you find out that clause #4 in the T&C is wrong and you will be able to sell the car with FSD in the future? Or are you not sure and don't care?
Not sure how this got so left field assumed but the internet has a way of spinning the text. Admittedly the writing can be interpreted in many ways. To verify I direct chatted with Tesla And visited the showroom to clarify the actual meaning vs the internet assumed version. They made it clear if I transferred my FSD (MYP 2020) to a new Model S (P) it would stay with that car. If I ever sold it they do NOT just erase it or remove it. It simply Can’t be transferred again if I opted to update cars every 2 years. (Always possible they can change that) but for now it is a 1 time transfer. Again, they do NOT simply steal (erase) it should you sell the car in the future. He also noted that this provision was for the Original Owner (transfer). Meaning IF I ever elected to sell my Model S to my daughter or other They to could transfer it IF there was ever a return of this program. I as the original owner only get to do it once. YMMV but while he agreed the program outline can be interpreted in many ways, This is the way….