Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my lease ends in two months on my S85D. I was about to configure a new S but i also received invite to configure my 3( a month ago) which i keep deferring.... w/ the news of performance configuration available this week i will scrap the new S if the performance 3 does a sub 3.5

even if it doesn't, but comes close, say 3.7-3.8 ish, I'd still pull the trigger if I were you.

remember, once they update the S and make it a little quicker, they can always go back and "uncork" a little more on the 3.

Pardon my ignorance on this subject but I am looking for some enlightenment here. We all know the obvious benefits of dual motor AWD configuration. The traction in snow and rain, the slight gain in efficiency, etc. My question is what other benefits do dual motor owners enjoy? I am wondering if there are any benefits (or for that matter detriments) to the service life or maintenance that dual motor owners have seen when compared to their RWD counterparts. What about long term expense? What have been the historical statistics with the Model S that might shed some light for people considering the dual motor variant of the Model 3 now that it is available? Thanks in advance.

Dan

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Pardon my ignorance on this subject but I am looking for some enlightenment here. We all know the obvious benefits of dual motor AWD configuration. The traction in snow and rain, the slight gain in efficiency, etc. My question is what other benefits do dual motor owners enjoy? I am wondering if there are any benefits (or for that matter detriments) to the service life or maintenance that dual motor owners have seen when compared to their RWD counterparts. What about long term expense? What have been the historical statistics with the Model S that might shed some light for people considering the dual motor variant of the Model 3 now that it is available? Thanks in advance.

Dan

Evenly distributed tire wear?

Reactions: xcat
Slightly better regen performance. (Weight shifts onto front wheels.)
Also in poor traction conditions, there is more regen to be had from 4 wheels.

I thought dual motors offered redundancy in case one of the two conked out?

I think at some point they said that, then I think people had cars shut down due to a problem with one motor.
Not sure how much the car is actually willing to run when one of the dual motors is faulty.

See Franz's current LR Model 3 for a possible preview of what the performance model might look like.
  • Optional 20" sport wheels in Sonic Carbon finish
  • Optional carbon fiber spoiler (a la Model S P100D)
  • Red brake calipers with larger diameter front rotors (355mm vs current 320mm), this was leaked in an early Jan version of the owner's manual before it was removed.
Also, here's my best guess on lineup specs... we'll see if I'm anywhere close by next weekend:
View attachment 300498

A stripped down P3D for $64k, with bigger brakes and and coil suspension? And 3.1 seconds acceleration? Yes please! :cool:

Unfortunately I don't see that as realistic.:(

As I said. SAS is linked to dual motor config. You can't get it with RWD. But dual motor config does not have to come with SAS. Elon has never stated that AWD would come with SAS, only that SAS would only come with AWD. He didn't even imply it.

All he said was "linked to".. which really could mean anything. It's just a tweet, not a press release. It could mean "linked to production changes" or "linked to the design." All we know is that SAS, according to EM, won't be available right away with P or D M3s. Beyond that, it's just speculation what exactly "linked to" means.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
A stripped down P3D for $64k, with bigger brakes and and coil suspension? And 3.1 seconds acceleration? Yes please! :cool:

Unfortunately I don't see that as realistic.:(

True, pricing is what I'm least confident about in that speculated chart. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they charged $4k for AWD and an additional $16k for performance (~$70k base price for P3D before additional options), this would be 45% of the base Model 3, which is the same percentage increase the P100D has on the Model S base price. Worst case scenario the P3D starts at $74,500-- the same as the base 75D Model S, in my opinion.

P.S. I've been in Jax for the past 4 months and pretty sure I've spotted your car around town haha, small world.

Can't wait to see the specs and pricing on the AWD and M3P. !
I'm waiting for my chance for the AWD LR.
I've owned a lot of cars, and loved most of them, but I've never been this excited about a car before.

I so so so far down the list compared to the rest of you though. I got into the game way late, and so I have a long painful wait until my turn comes around.
I booked my (M3 AWD LR) on April 4th, 2018. :(

Any words of encouragement. LOL

True, pricing is what I'm least confident about in that speculated chart. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they charged $4k for AWD and an additional $16k for performance (~$70k base price for P3D before additional options), this would be 45% of the base Model 3, which is the same percentage increase the P100D has on the Model S base price. Worst case scenario the P3D starts at $74,500-- the same as the base 75D Model S, in my opinion.

I think for segmentation purposes we're looking at at least the price of a base 75D so 75k is probably a good bet. I'm also thinking Tesla will make some changes to the S lineup to segment the market. Otherwise even at 75k they will lose a lot of S75D sales. Model 3P will have newer tech and will be quite a bit faster than non P Model S. My bet is 3.2-3.5 seconds for the P model 3.

I think you guys might be a little pessimistic on the performance version price (understandably cautious). A loaded Model 3 right now is about 60K. I am thinking 4K for AWD and maybe 12K for performance. 76K for all the bells and whistles.

That said, it also wouldn't surprise me if it is pushing 90!

Dan

Dan
It's a bit more than a "slight gain" in efficiency.

A performance Model 3 should actually be a performance car, not just fast to 60. Better brakes, suspension, seats, wider fenders. I have owned 2 different BMW M3's and an M5. The cars were completely different and the Model 3 could really be built as a hot rod. The biggest reason they might not make the Model 3 Performance sub 3 seconds is that Model S owners might complain. Again, TOTALLY different cars. The Model 3 is like a 3 series BMW and the Model S is more like a 5 series. The new BMW M5 is a gas guzzler, but dominates the Model S in most technology and comfort measures except 0-60 for over $30k less money. Tesla should focus on upgrading and updating the beautiful but dated Model S and please give us a scary fast Model 3!! :)

Reactions: Mayhem