Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was glad to see that too. I'ts something I don't need and it's another possible failure point I don't want. But To be fair I haven't heard of very many Tesla air suspensions failing.
I'm slightly disappointed. I wanted it, but it's not a deal breaker. I thought it'd be nice to drive around a little lower and have it popup when I go over speed bumps or go to my garage. But as long as the standard height goes fine over those, I guess it's not a big deal.

Air suspension isn't really a performance option... I'm hoping they include some serious brake and cooling upgrades if they're going to charge 15k-20k! For that price they should add adaptive dampers and limited slip differential too. They're going need that if they actually want to compete with the M3.
Maybe or maybe not if they do 0 to 60 in 3.1 sec as opposed to 3.9, and the gas equivalent mpg is 130 as opposed to 15 mpg on premium gas.

Next year for air suspension? /cries/

I need to get a test drive before I order, I need to see if the car will get into my driveway without scraping. My Prius scrapes if I'm not careful pulling into or out of the driveway.
We had a Prius that scrapped the front all the time as it stuck out. Our 3's do not scrape. The Prius had a much longer overhang past the front axle than the 3 does.

Last edited:
I guess that answers if air suspension will be part of AWD.
It's definitely not that. I have day 2 reservation and I did not have a chance to order LR. I believe about 50% of U.S. reservations didn't have it either.

I think they will still continue with the RWD LR, they are not switching to all dual motor - and with their projected ramp up of production, they still will be producing just as many RWD per week as they had been.

Reactions: stef
Not sure they can do much at this point to not make the twice as expensive model S look bad.

The S P100D will look bad compared to the 3 Performance 0-60 in terms of bang for your buck. However, as long as the S continues to leave the ICErs it competes with in the dust it will be alright.

IMHO, at some point, there will be a major Model S "refresh" including a new interior so they can prepare to compete with the coming onslaught of large EV sedans from the likes of Benz, BMW, and Audi. They will probably introduce new tech into the S, also, just like the ICE guys do with their flagship before it "trickles down" later to the smaller vehicles. I expect we'll see a revised front dashboard with the Model 3-style single air vent on the S. The Model 3 makes that aspect look dated.

Now, I'm hoping that my Model 3 Performance will come with the "Bio-hazard defense mode" air filtration system that I love in my Model X - but am not sure if they have room for it so I don't expect it. Tesla just replaced my carbon filter as a "customer courtesy", along with several other items - it pays to get to know your service advisors and be a very nice customer! (I'm at 33,000 miles on VIN F00041X.)

I have mixed feelings about the initial lack of an air suspension. I love it on my X since it prevents me from ever running into a curb when I park with the GPS memory to automagically go to "High" level. (My car gets high wherever it parks.) :cool: I'd love it on my Model 3 Perf for that reason. However, since I'm going to own the 3, I'm concerned about long-term issues after the warranty runs out... I don't know about Tesla's, but have read air suspensions have had issues with ICE's and they are very expensive to repair/replace. Therefore, I'm probably going to pull the trigger on day 1 and configure my Model 3 Perf with no regrets.

At a later point in time I expect the X will be "refreshed", too. Of course, at another unknown point in time, we will see the newest battery cell used in the Model 3 in the Models S and X, once Model 3 production is really humming along with the Gigafactory. They will want S/X range in the most expensive BEV configuration to significantly exceed 3 at all times.

note to self: Minimize this TMC window and stop obsessing over the P3D like you did over the X P90D so you can get back to work!!!

...limited slip differential ...
On that one they would never move back to that primitive approach. Tesla has had the most advanced traction control in the industry for several years. Check out M3 winter driving videos and reports to see how amazing it is.

Otherwise we’ll need to wait.
Next week I’ll find out how much change I’ll have from the $90,000 I have allocated. Excluding SAS saves a little, although I really prefer it. No reason why they ‘d want to undercut BMW M3 pricing including options, much less the Mercedes C63.

My prediction: M3 AWD will be about the same performance or a little better than the AWD S85. It will have the same motor in the rear as the 2WD but a smaller inverter. In the front will be a smaller induction motor and the total Kw output will only be about 10kw more than the RWD version. The AWD will not be more efficient for the obvious reasons above and may even be a little less. The P version will likely have the full size inverter in the back. I would be really surprised to see a PM motor up front.

On that one they would never move back to that primitive approach. Tesla has had the most advanced traction control in the industry for several years. Check out M3 winter driving videos and reports to see how amazing it is.

Otherwise we’ll need to wait.
Next week I’ll find out how much change I’ll have from the $90,000 I have allocated. Excluding SAS saves a little, although I really prefer it. No reason why they ‘d want to undercut BMW M3 pricing including options, much less the Mercedes C63.
Everyone else in the industry uses the same brake based limited slip approach as Tesla in there lower end models. It works well for normal street use. Why do they all go to clutch based or torsen differentials on their high performance cars?
Having two rear motors would be the ultimate solution. That's what the new roadster will have and hopefully it will eventually trickle down to the P models.
I expect the Performance Model 3 will beat the BMW M3 in a straight line but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it beats it on any sort of track.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61