Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do folks suppose happened to the plan of AWD and SAS being tied together? Try as I might, I still can't figure out why they'd make two versions of the coil suspension, and then a third one when SAS comes out.

I'm one of the folks who was thrilled with the idea of bundling AWD and SAS... assuming that the bundle would be cheaper than the individual upgrades. I've never wanted P, but I sure want D and SAS!

Looks like I'll have to console myself with D for the time being. I've put off my configuration to wait for D... No way I'm waiting for an undisclosed time in 2019 for SAS.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Wonder if there is gonna be some bling that will differentiate the AWD/Performance model from the LR commoner vehicles. There's gotta be something that will show show off that I got the more fancy AWD/Perf model..

Easy one: Everyone lined up at the stoplight that you launch from will be eating the electron exhaust from your tailpipes while they wonder what is wrong with their plain Model 3 LR.

RT

Nope. It will still be nearish to the RWD 310 miles. Remember, the front motor is the smaller one AND the one that increases the range at highway speeds.

The 3PD will have 310-315.

The 3D will be 320-330.
That 310 mile range reflect the aero wheels. I know I have the 19 inch wheels and it’s very tough to get 235w per mile.

A performance 3 will require 19 or 20 high performance tires. I will be surprised if you get 310!

What do folks suppose happened to the plan of AWD and SAS being tied together? Try as I might, I still can't figure out why they'd make two versions of the coil suspension, and then a third one when SAS comes out.
Every time I mentioned SAS/AWD, I tried to be careful to call out that Elon said "SAS is tied to AWD", he didn't say "SAS and AWD are tied to each other". That just means you can't get SAS without also getting AWD, but he never said that all AWDs would have SAS. He was careful in his wording, and that is showing to be the case

I wanted SAS, but the AWD is what I want more. Hoping my invite to configure comes soon so I can get it rolling with an AWD config.

I'm one of the folks who was thrilled with the idea of bundling AWD and SAS... assuming that the bundle would be cheaper than the individual upgrades. I've never wanted P, but I sure want D and SAS!

Looks like I'll have to console myself with D for the time being. I've put off my configuration to wait for D... No way I'm waiting for an undisclosed time in 2019 for SAS.
Perhaps it's harder to automated SAS install so they are skipping it for now

Every time I mentioned SAS/AWD, I tried to be careful to call out that Elon said "SAS is tied to AWD", he didn't say "SAS and AWD are tied to each other". That just means you can't get SAS without also getting AWD, but he never said that all AWDs would have SAS. He was careful in his wording, and that is showing to be the case

I wanted SAS, but the AWD is what I want more. Hoping my invite to configure comes soon so I can get it rolling with an AWD config.

sas.png

MyTesla now shows that the AWD is configurable mid 2018, and that the SR battery is configurable 2019, which was as it was previously, but I think newly added to the SR option is that it seems to point out that this is with RWD as opposed to an option for AWD. So I wonder if AWD will only ever be an option with the LR battery.

MyTesla now shows that the AWD is configurable mid 2018, and that the SR battery is configurable 2019, which was as it was previously, but I think newly added to the SR option is that it seems to point out that this is with RWD as opposed to an option for AWD. So I wonder if AWD will only ever be an option with the LR battery.
Pretty sure AWD will be available in SR once Tesla starts making SR