Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am hardly the only person he responds to. He responds to lots of people. Shoot him a tweet if there’s something you’re curious about!
We know that Tesla follows you though... which is how he sees your tweets while ignoring ours.

Personally I want some assurances the performance version will out compete a BMW M3. I wish they put them head to head on a track.

As a matter of fact, I may just wait to configure until someone has actually tried it.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
How about black wheels option? ;)

Elon never replies to my tweets.

I’ve talked about those on my podcast. A Tesla source of mine has confirmed that 20” Sonic Carbon Sport wheels are in their system (they’re the ones on Franz’s car). I thought for sure they’d be the ones offered in the Performance package, but alas it’s not meant to be...for now. I wonder if they’ll become available alongside Air Suspension next year. I’m not sure — just my guess!

I got excited thinking my Model 3 was ready to configure since my alien dreadnought automated configurator page checker script E-mailed me, but it turned out that it was just an "orderBookedDate" field that may have been added to the web page. So my page did change, just not in a useful way. Bummer. At least I know the script works.

I’ve talked about those on my podcast. A Tesla source of mine has confirmed that 20” Sonic Carbon Sport wheels are in their system (they’re the ones on Franz’s car). I thought for sure they’d be the ones offered in the Performance package, but alas it’s not meant to be...for now. I wonder if they’ll become available alongside Air Suspension next year. I’m not sure — just my guess!
I was hoping for a 19" or 20" version of the Arachnids, since they are lighter and probably stronger than the standard cast Sport wheels. Maybe you can suggest they make those available to 3/31 line waiters. BTW, I personally prefer the silver on red.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I was hoping for a 19" or 20" version of the Arachnids, since they are lighter and probably stronger than the standard cast Sport wheels. Maybe you can suggest they make those available to 3/31 line waiters. BTW, I personally prefer the silver on red.
I like the silver wheels too. Are you thinking of keeping silver all around on your red? I've decided on red but still feel like the brightwork around the windows needs a chrome delete. Not sure if chrome delete up top and silver wheels is like mismatching your belt and shoes, though.

Reactions: srharris22
I like the silver wheels too. Are you thinking of keeping silver all around on your red? I've decided on red but still feel like the brightwork around the windows needs a chrome delete. Not sure if chrome delete up top and silver wheels is like mismatching your belt and shoes, though.
I am actually pretty happy with the amount of chrome on the red. I think it makes for a good accent. I might tint the windows, though.

@ryanjm,

Ryan....I apologize if I missed it but did you get a confirmation on these definitely NOT being offered on the Performance package? (i.e. it will be the regular 20” stilettos in Silver)?
On an additional note have we heard if they’ll be staggered or non?

Ski

@ryanjm,

Ryan....I apologize if I missed it but did you get a confirmation on these definitely NOT being offered on the Performance package? (i.e. it will be the regular 20” stilettos in Silver)?
On an additional note have we heard if they’ll be staggered or non?

Ski

The Sonic Carbon ones you mean? If so then yeah, all I know is that they exist in Tesla's database, so I *presume* they're going to be offered at some point. I learned that a few months ago, so I had thought for sure they'd be the wheels offered with the Performance package. Clearly I was wrong about that -- at least for now. It's just the silver 20" Stilettos in the Design Studio as of now. So now I am just guessing that maybe they'll come online with the Air Suspension option next year. But my only known fact is that they exist. The rest is just my own speculation. ;)

@ryanjm can you ask Elon to open AWD orders for 3/31/16 internet reservation holders who were already invited to configure RWD?

I think people should realize two things;

1. Ryan doesn't work for us.
2. Elon doesn't work for Ryan.

We are all very fortunate that Elon has periodically shared some information with Ryan, but the idea that Ryan is going to start relaying all of our personal wishes and desires to Elon is just naive or ridiculous... take your pick.

1) Ryan asks for red brakes... Elon says no, then later comes back and makes it happen.

2) Ryan asks for aluminum pedals.... Elon says no, but just came back and made it happen: Elon Musk on Twitter

So... to make it 3 for 3, I propose we all vote that @ryanjm asks Elon one more (epic) feature for us soon-to-be Performance owners :cool:

My guess is that these aluminum pedal covers will be delivery/service center installed, just like the carbon fiber spoiler. That way they don't have to mess up the production line with another part supply line and step.

1) Ryan asks for red brakes... Elon says no, then later comes back and makes it happen.

2) Ryan asks for aluminum pedals.... Elon says no, but just came back and made it happen: Elon Musk on Twitter

So... to make it 3 for 3, I propose we all vote on one more (epic) feature that @ryanjm asks Elon for us soon-to-be Performance owners :cool:

My vote for ludicrous.

So... to make it 3 for 3, I propose we all vote on one more (epic) feature that @ryanjm asks Elon for us soon-to-be Performance owners :cool:
Black headliner with the white interior and ventilated seats :D I know, not "epic" enough, but it's my wish.

Reactions: ryanjm and SD_Engnr

I don’t consider painted calipers, aluminum pedal covers and other superfluous cosmetic bling things to be epic features since they don’t change the performance or functionality of the car one iota.

Now top down camera view for parking, that would be an epic feature that would benefit everyone.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I don’t consider painted calipers, aluminum pedal covers and other superfluous cosmetic bling things to be epic features since they don’t change the performance or functionality of the car one iota.

Now top down camera view for parking, that would be an epic feature that would benefit everyone.
Larger performance brakes absolutely change the performance of the car in a track setting. I also didn't call them epic, I rather meant he ask for one more feature and should therefore make sure it is a good one.

I know how to park just fine so more camera views are useless to me. I was more referring to hardware changes exclusive to the Performance version. But everybody has different wants/needs, hence why I light-heartedly suggested a vote.

Last edited:
Not all 3/31/2016 "line waiters" have been invited yet...
Well that doesn't make sense. If you were invited for RWD, just open up AWD.

I think people should realize two things;

1. Ryan doesn't work for us.
2. Elon doesn't work for Ryan.

We are all very fortunate that Elon has periodically shared some information with Ryan, but the idea that Ryan is going to start relaying all of our personal wishes and desires to Elon is just naive or ridiculous... take your pick.
I realize this, which is why I asked politely. There are most likely more internet reservations than in-store, and we also want to order. I don't want to be ahead of in-store in the build, but it would be nice to order. I can order RWD, but want AWD.

Last edited: