TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon says Model 3 will release first as highly optioned.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Bimbels, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

Listening to Q4 Earnings Report Q and A - Elon just said that the first Model 3s will be offered highly optioned - as they have done with the Model S and X. If that ends some of the speculation about what will come first....

2. bigbear

bigbear Member

Damnit

3. Subrock

Subrock Member

Can anyone comment on the process of preordering in terms of whether it locks you in to the highly optioned first deliveries (obviously not the Founder models), or whether you are still able to customize/delay when your number comes up. I'm interested in preordering on the 31st, but I'd also like to hang back if there are self-driving improvements or the like on the horizon.

4. Kbra

Kbra Member

No one should be surprised here. Even after that hardly anyone will be buying a zero optioned car. Expect a 35k base plus ~10k in options. IMO

5. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Member

I can only speak to the X, but having a reservation did not lock you into anything. I haven't configured yet (invited around 6 weeks ago), and Tesla has not yet come calling to get me to make a decision.

6. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

Well I guess I'll end up getting mine first and my wife's will be pretty far behind then. I want to max mine out, basically whatever the equivalent of the P90DL is, but my wife will only need very basic with autopilot as it will be a commuter car.

Actually, it may work out in our favor if I can get first in line and deliver in 2017 and then hers a few months later, so we could do two separate full tax credits.

That is of course unless we end up moving up to a Model S before then.

7. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Member

I think they will offer the full line but higher optioned cars will be built/delivered first, similar to MX. Of course Founders or Signature cars, if offered, will be fully loaded.

8. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

Yet another astounding revelation that can be filed for posterity under, 'DUH.'
    :biggrin:

9. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Keep in mind that Model S begins at $70,00 and ends at $144,500. That range is pretty typical for other manufacturers also. We should expect the base Model 3 at $35,000 and fully optioned at around $80,000 or so. That is roughly the US market range for BMW 3 series, even a broader range in Europe. I'm planning on an $80,000 price tag for mine in 2016 dollars.

10. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

Not that I'm surprised, but it's still a bummer for me. I was basically looking for an intermediate level of options that could mostly be covered by the tax credit. Otherwise, I'd be looking at the stripped-down model if the tax credits go away before they get to me. Guess I'll have to see what comes on it to see if it makes sense. Since it isn't supposed to come in FWD, I'll need AWD to handle snow and ice and probably the maximum battery model (especially if that still has an unlimited-mile warranty -- I put on about 40k miles a year, so that matters a lot to me). Anything else is in the nice-to-have category. (Heated seats, too, if they're not too much -- I've never had a car with them, but I like it in other people's cars when I've been in them.) I couldn't care less about performance stuff -- I just want to get from A to B safely.

11. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

My personal goal is $50,000. My priority for features is to upgrade to the max battery size first and then hopefully AWD, followed by creature comforts as budget allows.

12. Trev Page

Trev Page Member

Good to hear Elon confirm this is the actual game plan, as non-surprising as it is. I'm budgeting $60K Canadian for one given the drop in the dollar but that's well above the base price of around $45K after exchange for the $35K USD base.

13. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

You are not getting a Model 3 in 2017. When Elon says production and deliveries begin in 2017, that means a few founders get their car in 2017. Maybe.

14. bigbear

bigbear Member

Summer 2018 for the common man, at the earliest.

15. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Member

So you want the BMW M3 fighter? Tesla M3 PxxD. Only way to get a $80k 3-series.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. On the call tonight he said late 2017, I'd assume 4Q.

16. Tam

Tam Active Member

17. dmunjal

dmunjal Member

He said the same about the X.

18. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

I don't know....he started talking about how that was done with the S and now X, but the way he was phrasing his words it sounded like he was getting to a BUT in his sentence and then went on a tangent. He never actually answered the question.

19. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Member

Oh no, I was agreeing that 4Q will be limited release for Founders, or similar.

20. Jaff

Jaff Active Member