Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By removing the driver's instrument cluster / screen they seem to have reduced the height and depth of the dashboard. They would then have an (uglier?) transition to a large rectangle in the dash if they integrated it. From the photo/video it appear the screen is quite a bit higher and more forward to allow for easier peripheral visibility.

It's sort of like all the telescoping and screen-raising/flipping infotainment systems out there. They need to get the height of the screen up but integrating the entire screen into the dash would look too bulky.
That means it's challenging to integrate it. Tesla is not up for the challenge to integrate it in a pleasing way? Lol.:)

Like I said, I can live with it but I really don't like it.

I really think this episode is one of Elons' rare mistakes. Not the lack of a HUD, but the tease about "spaceship like controls"
That comment on twitter is what caused all of the HUD speculation. Then he allowed that to fester for months instead of stepping in and noting that no HUD would appear upon initial release.
Also, if a HUD, or center display is no longer needed with self driving cars, why in the world is Tesla spending millions of dollars per year on HUD designers?

My feeling is augmented HUD IS coming, first to S/X and later to M3. It's just not coming initially and Tesla does not care is some reservation holders drop off the list. They will sell every M3 they can produce for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Analog speedometers portray change in speed better than a digital one. But I don't believe it is read any faster when looking for the current speed.

The purpose of looking at a speedometer is usually not to know the speed, but to compare the current speed to the speed limit. We have grown comfortable processing base 10 digits, but it is not natural.

This sort of thing doesn't matter too much in automobiles. The Tesla instrument cluster is designed as much to look cool as it is to be useful. But it matters more when the human is near their maximum mental capacity, such as piloting an aircraft flying IFR at lower altitude.

A great smart historical guage design in racing was to put "Normal" at 12 o'clock. This allowed a quick scan of the instrument cluster with only the need to consider any gauge that wasn't pointing up.

At only $149 it appears i'll be buying one of these:
The Windshield Heads Up Display - Hammacher Schlemmer
".... plugs into your car’s On Board Diagnostic System II interface (OBD II) with the included 62"-long cable and projects MPH, engine rotation speed (RPM), battery voltage, fuel consumption (MPG), and water temperature."
LOL -- four out of 5 probably not even reported in the Tesla over OBD. Battery voltage and "fuel" consumption are on the CAN bus, but probably not translated into something reasonable in the OBD for the Tesla. I wonder in anyone can confirm or disprove this?

I registered for the Model 3 in April '16.

I prefer a very driver-centric car but could probably live with a speedometer on the right (upper left of screen); and digital is fine. Multiple speeding tickets while riding sportbikes means I have to watch speed closely. Speedometer and cruise control are essential for my needs.

I've learned that the Model S has cruise control. Is there any information about Model 3 cruise control?

I really think this episode is one of Elons' rare mistakes. Not the lack of a HUD, but the tease about "spaceship like controls"
That comment on twitter is what caused all of the HUD speculation. Then he allowed that to fester for months instead of stepping in and noting that no HUD would appear upon initial release.
Also, if a HUD, or center display is no longer needed with self driving cars, why in the world is Tesla spending millions of dollars per year on HUD designers?

My feeling is augmented HUD IS coming, first to S/X and later to M3. It's just not coming initially and Tesla does not care is some reservation holders drop off the list. They will sell every M3 they can produce for the foreseeable future.

This.

Unless Elon somehow comes clean with the spaceship comment or some weird innovation in Model 3 explains it all, I am assuming he referred to a planned feature that did not make the cut. Yet.

His silence on the spaceship comment - and the new taxi rhetoric - speaks volumes IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: googlepeakoil
Do we know that the final version will still sit on the stalk that looked like it was a very temporary thing? That would really be cheap and 'after market' looking. I'd be very disappointed. Simply put, that is not an upscale look in any sense of the word and is almost embarrassing. Ugh.

In order to get the screen closer to our faces, the dash would have to have what would amount to a 15" diagonal "box" behind the screen "integrating" it to the dash. That would look huge and ugly as hell. It would look like a room air conditioner in the middle of the car, seriously. I much prefer what they have done, which I think looks very futuristic and upscale.

I look at it like the Sneeches. We, with our Model 3's, will be the Sneeches with "stars upon thars." And all of the BMW/Merc drivers will be the plain-belly Sneeches looking on in jealousy. Ours will be upscale, and suddenly theirs will be "downscale." :)

Reactions: Bimbels
to the people who think that no gauge cluster or HUD is "just a matter of getting used to" let me give you a bit of a personal anecdote. You probably dont drive an ev yet, so let me give you a little insight.

I drive an ev right now (2013 Toyota rav4 ev) and I'm CONSTANTLY looking at the gauge cluster. Why? Not only because of my speed for safety and avoiding tickets, but because MY SPEED DIRECTLY EFFECTS MY RANGE! If you didn't know, the rav4 ev has Tesla motor and batteries. If I'm not careful, I can easily increase speed without realizing it (gotta love electric motors and its smooth and quiet acceleration) and that can be the difference between getting home or not. I commute from San Francisco to San Jose everyday without charging at work. I take 280 which has a lot of hills, twists and turns. I also have to pick up my kid from school too, so I cant mess around with range.

I also do NOT want to have to take my eyes that much farther off of the road more than I have to for obvious reasons. Not only does the gauge cluster have the speed, it has the remaining distance I can drive as well as how efficient I am driving at the moment. It makes it easy to adjust my driving from actual feedback the gauge cluster displays, so i dont have any problems getting the most miles I can from a single charge. Yes the model 3 will have more range, but the point is, you need to monitor and adjust your speed to maximize your range, no matter what EV you are driving. Looking that much father from the road, and doing it that often is a recipe for disaster. Not everyone is getting autopilot or full autonomy, so the gauge cluster is very important!

Also, lets not forget, the model 3 is for the mass market, not just for tesla fanboys\fangirls. The people on this forum may be okay with whatever tesla comes up with (and for good reason, teslas are so awesome, I'm converting my turbo charged cars to electric) but the regular car driver wont put up with this. The people in the $35,000 price bracket can also by a nice entry MB, BMW, or Audi, and wont think twice about going to those brands since they can get more for their money (in their opinion)

So, I REALLY hope Elons plans for his "spaceship like" controls or whatever is going to blow our socks off, otherwise, the model 3 wont take off like EV enthusiasts and Tesla fans need it to for the EV revolution to take place. I also hope those of you who think the gauge cluster is no big deal can understand why it can be a big deal.

Maybe the HUD comes out when AWD is released? ;)

Ok. Let me be the first to predict and go on the record with this prediction. The steering wheel will have a display that will show all sorts of things like MPH, etc. look at what Apple just did with the MacBook Pro and the keyboards.

Elon Musk - "No second screen"

And, putting any sort of information on the steering wheel would be a horrible idea.

Like I said, I can live with it but I really don't like it.

When did you drive one?

Or, are you one of those people who reviews books by how the cover looks?

I need to remind myself that the GPS is also in the dash of my Tesla since I find it easier to watch the one on the centre screen. Before owning a Tesla, I would never had thought that to be the case. Perhaps the speedometer is different, but until I drive one, I won't know, and certainly could not say "I really don't like it."

Ok. Let me be the first to predict and go on the record with this prediction. The steering wheel will have a display that will show all sorts of things like MPH, etc. look at what Apple just did with the MacBook Pro and the keyboards.

Do get too crazy assuming that the steering wheel has not be deleted to save cost. Musk may be planning a direct neural interface.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
to the people who think that no gauge cluster or HUD is "just a matter of getting used to" let me give you a bit of a personal anecdote. You probably dont drive an ev yet, so let me give you a little insight.

I drive an ev right now (2013 Toyota rav4 ev) and I'm CONSTANTLY looking at the gauge cluster. Why? Not only because of my speed for safety and avoiding tickets, but because MY SPEED DIRECTLY EFFECTS MY RANGE!

If the base range of Model 3 is 215+ miles which is nearly double your RAV 4 EV the vast majority of people will not care about range or have range anxiety on a daily basis.

I worry about range in my Prius but that's because I'm lazy and don't want to go out of my way to a gas station until it's nearly driving on fumes. With an EV such as a Tesla, as long as I charged it every night, I think I'd care about range maybe a handful of times a year when I travel. Even then, there's always a supercharger on every major highway out of my city.

What about e.g. Autopilot graphics?
Why would you need autopilot graphics if you only had FSD (and it actually worked)? I really don't believe EAP is going to be offered on the Model 3.