Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posting a really weird interior doesn't make another interior not weird. I agree with you that the Model 3 interior is nicer than that interior but I can always find something that is 'worse' than something else. We have a tendency to compare things to worse things and say 'at least my _____ is not as bad as that'. That doesn't mean that the thing you have is ideal.

Just remember the competition for the Model 3 is the BMW 3 series or a Audi A4.View attachment 221150

Keep in mind though, we at least will have a better steering wheel than was shown at the reveal.

Besides, I think when potential A4/3 series customers actually drive a Model 3 (or even get a ride in one), I don't think they will mind the interior either.

Yes I apologize for that. I just grabbed images off of the websites (and a photo for the Model 3) and stitched them together. Yes the angles are different. I know Tesla wants to be different. They just have to understand that the person that is cross shopping between the Model 3, A4, and 3 series have expectations. Look how similar the A4 and the 3 series are. The layout is almost identical. I was actually surprised by this when I got the images. I have been in both cars and I find the A4 nicer. Maybe the Model 3 interior will grow on me.

I can totally see why some people are upset. They are used to it a certain way and people don't like change. I don't like change either but I am trying to be open minded here. When I first saw the interior it was very jarring to me. Why I don't know but probably because I am so used to the other interiors.

Also keep in mind that when you offer the ability for many functions of the car to be upgraded/improved/added, you have to get rid of many of the specific-purpose buttons/switches. So a lot of what is missing in the Model 3 interior are those kinds of controls, not just a few gauges in the IC.

I guess I'll have to wait until I can sit in the car to tell if this will work. I have my doubts that a single speed readout in the corner of a very busy screen will work, but that's just me.

Not sure why people don't think this will work. I use waze on my phone almost exclusively when I drive. I don't have a problem seeing my speed in the bottom corner of my phone. Actually I like it as it is directly next to the speedometer.

Images from a Reddit user who actually spotted the release candidate:

model-3-release-candidate-5-e1491345316190.jpg

Definitely nothing in front of the driver. And the screen is still floating.

• Informative
Reactions: JoaoD
I continue to feel Tesla makes themselves a victim of their own signature features in this instance.

In any other case, if costs prohibited a graphical instrument cluster, there would simply be a cheaper base solution and then a paid option upwards.

But for Tesla it is big screen or go home, that is one of those things that have become a religion of sorts for them. And in this case all that leads to "go home" on the instrument cluster for Model 3, because something has to give to pay for that big battery and autonomous CPU/GPU in every car...

In the end putting a small screen there for the necessities would not have cost much, nor a simple speedometer for example. But it is not their style...
No matter what my preconceptions or preferences Pre-medrivemodel3 for the interior are... i have to have some faith that whatever they come up with, it will pass the "common sense" test. People will sit in the car, and go, hmmm, this is actually not bad. cuz all of the testers and engineers and designers will have done the same thing.

so, i just wait, and amuse myself with the complainer posts. hopefully, my faith will be rewarded.
I continue to feel Tesla makes themselves a victim of their own signature features in this instance.

In any other case, if costs prohibited a graphical instrument cluster, there would simply be a cheaper base solution and then a paid option upwards.

But for Tesla it is big screen or go home, that is one of those things that have become a religion of sorts for them. And in this case all that leads to "go home" on the instrument cluster for Model 3, because something has to give to pay for that big battery and autonomous CPU/GPU in every car...

In the end putting a small screen there for the necessities would not have cost much, nor a simple speedometer for example. But it is not their style...

Please consider the most sophisticated aircraft on the planet, with a Flight Director, collisions avoidance system, etc. And guess what you will almost certainly find, centrally located, directly in front of each pilot, (in addition to a HUD display), AN AIRSPEED INDICATOR,

Elon is clearly a genius, but I believe this may well be a decision he will live to regret. (I hope I am wrong),

Scannerman

Last edited:
Reactions: kablammyman
I think Tesla will "get away" with the speedo on the big screen - as in, it will not stop the Model 3 from being a success.

I do think the success will happen despite the speedo situation though, certainly not because of it.

And it can be an adoption hindrance to some customers, while likely not an adoption helper for anyone (i.e. this could have been solved cost effectively without increasing the price).

I think Tesla will "get away" with the speedo on the big screen - as in, it will not stop the Model 3 from being a success.

I do think the success will happen despite the speedo situation though, certainly not because of it.

And it can be an adoption hindrance to some customers, while likely not an adoption helper for anyone (i.e. this could have been solved cost effectively without increasing the price).
Even if it did increase the cost... How much for a simple speed And possibly maybe range if not too expensive display on every car? With economies of scale $500? To put to bed this no drivers display complaint seems well worth it. I doubt this much about price but Tesla trying to show that it is a different car company

Reactions: kablammyman
Folks, folks, folks. These cars are complicated cars anyway. Anyone who can muster looking 20 degrees to the right to get an exact speed reading can't drive these cars anyway. God help them when the have to decipher the 10 functions on the TACC/Autopilot stalk.
The same people complaining are likely the ones who mix up the accelerator and brake pedals...

Honda had a similar though not exactly analogous situation in late 2005. The 8th generation Civic used a 2-tier drivers instrument cluster with a digital speedometer stacked in a separate area above the tachometer and other indicators.

People on the Internet found this non-traditional layout extremely controversial. There were many questions over why Honda did this on a high volume seller that was critical to their success.

In the end, this design choice did not appear to dampen Civic sales at all. The placement of the speedometer was different, but ultimately still worked well for buyers. With regards to Model 3, I think people should hold off on final judgment until reviews are in and they've test driven the car.

Reactions: lukex4 and Chris L

You sir, have summed it up perfectly.

Even if it did increase the cost... How much for a simple speed And possibly maybe range if not too expensive display on every car? With economies of scale $500? To put to bed this no drivers display complaint seems well worth it. I doubt this much about price but Tesla trying to show that it is a different car company
You sir, have summed it up perfectly.
Everyone always points out look how many reservations as a measure that everything is okay. But who's to say how many more reservations would have been gained by a less polarizing design.

I came to a realization today when driving my Nissan 350Z into work today. Elon/Tesla is right; there is no need for a traditionally located central binnacle. For those that aren't familiar w/ the Z-car's layout, there are 3 dial-shaped displays mounted top center on the dashboard. There is the option to configure one of them to speed, rpm, tire pressures, etc., the other two are battery voltage and oil pressure. I came to the realization that I don't ever look at the speedometer when I drive my Z, I use one of the central digital display closest to me. It's just more convenient and faster. When driving I only really use the central binnacle for RPMs reference. I do have to say that the one thing the makes the central cluster so much better than using the binnacle is the seating position and high belt line of the car which puts those display items nearly in your horizontal plane of view. Seems like the LCD screen on the TM3 sits relatively high so it might be just as useful.

Reactions: lukex4 and Sparky
One more thought here - In addition to any production benefits, the lack of a central instrument cluster seems like it may exist to solve a design problem. In a typical setup with the speedometer behind the wheel, the angle of vision through the wheel for most is relatively unobstructed and the positioning seems pretty natural. For taller people (like me) though, this is not always true. In most cars with this arrangement, I can only make out the bottom half of the gauge, as the rest is blocked by the wheel. For those of us in this boat, it becomes far less useful.

The height line of the dash is significantly lower in the 3, and perhaps this effectively puts everyone in the "tall person" category, as the angle from eye to wheel would be more acute. Looking at some of the photos earlier in the thread it's possible to get a little bit of a sense of this.

It seems like there are really only a few ways to solve this problem while keeping the speedometer in front of the driver. One is to add a HUD. Another is to take the Prius approach and extend the dash upwards above the wheel. Finally you could put the reading on the wheel itself. Each of these comes with tradeoffs: HUD is more complicated to manufacture, an extended dash alters the design, and having a wheel readout brings it perhaps too near for the vision of some, especially given the potentially altered angles. Of these, HUD would seem to make the most sense.

The floating screen that we've seen seems to be positioned to keep the line of the dash intact from the driver's perspective, and perhaps unobstructed forward vision is the priority that drove the decision to locate the speed reading where it is. The expanded forward field of vision (really vision all around) seems like a distinguishing feature and a selling point for this car. This also means that comparisons with other cars with similar setups, like the Renault earlier, may not be apples-to-apples, as the angles will be off. On the other hand, given that no one has actually driven one yet, the ideas here are just as likely to be complete bunk, ha.

It seems like there are really only a few ways to solve this problem while keeping the speedometer in front of the driver. One is to add a HUD. Another is to take the Prius approach and extend the dash upwards above the wheel. Finally you could put the reading on the wheel itself. Each of these comes with tradeoffs: HUD is more complicated to manufacture, an extended dash alters the design, and having a wheel readout brings it perhaps too near for the vision of some, especially given the potentially altered angles. Of these, HUD would seem to make the most sense.
Infiniti used to have the binnacle tilt up and down along with the steering wheel (not sure if they still do).

I don't think it's about the cost of the part. Elon has talked a lot about the "machine that builds the machine". If the ultra-simple dash can speed up the line by x% then Tesla saves a lot more then just the price of the display.