TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon; The Y Needs this update..

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by LasVegas2019, Sep 21, 2020.

1. LasVegas2019

LasVegas2019 Member

Cross traffic warning when backing up. There are some wicked blind spots on the Y that the camera does not cover when backing up. Please add the cross traffic alert upgrade that you promised months ago!

• Like x 27
    • Disagree x 1
  2. Mooroo

Mooroo Member

You’re in the wrong place to get Elon’s attention. Otherwise, I agree this would be good :)

• Like x 3
  3. qdeathstar

qdeathstar Active Member

Maybe tweet Bill Gates about it...

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  4. mac9899

mac9899 Member

Sadly, this requires additional hardware, so a revision would be needed. Additionally, currently, they consider AP sensors to be pretty much done, for the time being, aka don't count on this any time soon.

5. Mooroo

Mooroo Member

Don’t think this is the case. See this tweet from Elon just recently: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1274904736748105728?s=21

I believe my Mazda CX-9 doesn’t have anything other than the ultrasonic sensors and the camera, and it works fantastically in detecting cross traffic.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  6. srlawren

srlawren Member

Yeah, my 9 year old Ford Fusion has cross-traffic via the backup sensors, and it is very handy. It does give false positives sometimes, but it's saved my bacon several times over the years. I would have though all vehicles had this in 2020!

• Like x 4
  7. LasVegas2019

LasVegas2019 Member

why? Did he just buy Tesla? I thought he was busy saving Africa

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  8. LasVegas2019

LasVegas2019 Member

Everything has cross traffic alert and the Y would not require any additional hardware. I almost got hit today backing out of a parking spot. My wifes Expedition would have alerted me... so Tesla needs to get with the program.

• Like x 6
  9. LasVegas2019

LasVegas2019 Member

Actually I heard that Elon has low level functionaries monitoring this site and others that talk Tesla.

• Like x 2
  10. qdeathstar

qdeathstar Active Member

Bill Gates is in musks head

• Like x 1
  11. Laguna M3

Laguna M3 Member

My Bolt has the alert and I love it. Hard to believe the MY doesn't have it.

• Like x 2
  12. kevin1

kevin1 Member

Mazda CX-9 has two rear radars, which is the usual way RCTA is implemented.

https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-9/cx-9_8gc7ee17g.pdf
    42E465EE-AC4B-4E84-80AC-5157B96CEFE1.jpeg
    Even if computer vision is very good (100% reliable depth estimates) back up cameras may not have enough resolution/field of view to detect stuff at the edge of the frame reliably which is usually where cross traffic shows up.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. hcdavis3

hcdavis3 HCD3

Lack of Cross traffic alert and my in attention just cost me 8000. Backed into a sign post.

• Informative x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  14. gunthermic

gunthermic Member

Ouch!

• Like x 1
  15. Velcade

Velcade Member

Was this prior to the 3 camera back up system being implemented? I find with the three cameras the fov reversing is amazing.

• Like x 1
  16. Bobfitz1

Bobfitz1 Active Member

IMO either your locale has way overbuilt sign posts or Tesla seriously needs to work on MY ease/cost of body repair!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. Mooroo

Mooroo Member

Thanks for sharing this. Hmm, in this case, I’m not too hopeful about purely camera based rear cross traffic alert :(

18. Mooroo

Mooroo Member

Backing in to a post normally would just be a bumper issue. With Model Y, it also is a rear hatch issue because the bottom of the hatch becomes part of the bumper area. Really flawed design IMO.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. kpinthebay

kpinthebay Member

I would love this feature. And you know what else? Blind spot warning lights in the mirrors! My lowly Toyota Tacoma has both of these.

• Like x 6
    • Love x 1
  20. srlawren

srlawren Member

Oh sorry to hear that!

Cross-traffic alerts aren't really for stationary objects like a sign post; it is for moving objects like pedestrians or vehicles moving into the space you're trying to back into. But given your incident, does that mean that Tesla also lacks backup alerts (where it beeps quicker and quicker as you get closer to a stationary object)?

• Like x 3