Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So why delay it on the Model 3?
Elon answered that in the first tweet you linked:
No, we are minimizing configuration complexity to keep the production ramp on schedule. RWD only for early production, just like Model S.
Now, you may or may not accept the validity of that explanation, but that's his reasoning.

Also, it's not necessarily a delay if they're basically keeping with the original schedule; it's just that the RWD version is getting a schedule improvement.

(EDIT: @EV-lutioin beat me to it!)

Reactions: davidc18
The MX was marketed as an upscale SUV, four wheel drive was pretty much mandatory. The Model 3 is a compact sedan modeled after a 3 series BMW, which also comes with standard rear wheel drive. BMW did not add a four wheel drive option for decades.
But Ev-lution. I didn't tout dual motors. Tesla and Elon did.

It does not matter to me at all what BMW does. Just like the MS development team didn't seem to care what the BMW 7 series did.

Elon answered that in the first tweet you linked:

Now, you may or may not accept the validity of that explanation, but that's his reasoning.

Also, it's not necessarily a delay if they're basically keeping with the original schedule; it's just that the RWD version is getting a schedule improvement.

(EDIT: @EV-lutioin beat me to it!)
Elons tweet is perplexing because Dual Motors wasn't even born yet when the Model S first came out. Did Elon forget or something?

Elons tweet is perplexing because Dual Motors wasn't even born yet when the Model S first came out. Did Elon forget or something?
Maybe it was just a twinkle in his and his engineers' eyes in the beginning and they just shelved those plans until they could get the RWD Model S out the door? It certainly wasn't announced as a future option in the beginning, but we don't really know what they had planned (or when they planned it) behind the scenes. In that sense, maybe this tweet is revealing?

So does this, but I'm not holding my breath for either one. :)

th-2.jpg

Your question was answered by Musk in his Tweet

View attachment 219931
This only makes sense if Tesla did not know how to install these efficiently, they have been doing it in two other models already. This also contradicts Elon's tweet of "loyalty begets loyalty." Elon indicated he would game the system and maximize the amount of people who would receive the maximum tax credit, making people wait 6-9 months ensures they will get little if any tax credit. There is some other reason they are delaying it and they are not saying. Frustrating.

Last edited:
Do any of those crying about Tesla' decision to delay 3 D to simplify production... have ANY production experience? ANY idea of how many more parts or how much more complexity involved? Sure, Tesla knows how to do D. That's EXACTLY why they are deferring. They know the complexity, and they are committed to demonstrating that they CAN do mass production with high quality. They are doing the right thing. Would I like D? Yes. But I do not expect it right off the bat. Sorry for your disappointment, but this is totally understandable.

So that's more important to you than driving a long range EV?

Well, he can buy a Bolt. Or wait and see what Leaf 2 offers. Or wait for something from another manufacturer, or continue to drive whatever he's driving.

I'd suggest instead that if it's that important to him that he wait until he can actually experience it. Having driven a Prius with the center display and had no problem with that, I don't think it'll make a difference to me, and I think that my wife will be OK with it as well. In fact, I think she'd like a really simple display with just speed and range.

Are we all forgetting that the original plan was for 500k cars by 2020? I was #4 in line in the Midwest and originally thought I might get a car in late 2018 or 2019. If I wait until that time it will have the AWD and many other options. Most people having to wait 6-9 months are still getting it earlier then originally planned.

I think I can get over no HUD and I drove a Pontiac for 5 years with one and loved it. This weekend I drove 41 miles in mixed conditions and looked at my speed roughly 30 times. I looked at the nav screen for the radio many times more. The Model 3 speedometer spot seems better then having it behind my hands and wheel. I'm already looking at that screen anyways.

Do you know if Model X had Dual Motors on day 1? Tesla has been installing dual motors in S and X for some time now, this announcement makes zero sense to me, especially after the cars used for the test rides were dual motor cars. I understand S did not have them on day 1, as I do not think the Roadster had it as an option and it was not a option when the S was first introduced. I am assuming since Dual Motors were not new when the X became available, that dual motors were an option on day 1. So why delay it on the Model 3? Just got back from South Lake Tahoe today where I had to put chains on our RWD GMC Acadia and was looking forward to the Dual Motor. I hope Elon announces at the 2nd unveil that this is no longer the case. Not yet a Tesla owner but already a little frustrated right now. Dual motor also helps with distance and by the time I get a car, it would be around 18-24 months after I put a deposit. I do not want to wait an additional 6-9 months.

Honestly I believe this is about part sourcing more than anything. Tesla is bringing a whole new platform up from scratch. RWD uses a certain rear motor. AWD uses a DIFFERENT front and rear motor. It also adds extra steps to the production process. My guess is that they simply can't produce all 3 engine types at large scale yet. RWD now...AWD soon.

I'm a day one reservation holder as well (8th in line at Brooklyn) and I'm pretty frustrated because I wanted AWD as well. On the bright side, there are likely kinks in the early production that will get ironed out by the time AWD gets made. Also, if you DID go RWD, the weight distribution SHOULD take care of most of the issues a typical RWD car/truck has.

Reactions: Alketi and ohmman
I can imagine a situation where the motor is the bottleneck on production. I mean, logically it's batteries, but imagine a concern about motor production. You can build twice the RWD vehicles compared to AWD with the same number of motors. Or maybe they have warranty concerns around the motors like with our early Model S motors. Half the things to replace.

These are wild theories, placed here to point out that there may be something less than obvious which is driving the RWD decision.

Do any of those crying about Tesla' decision to delay 3 D to simplify production... have ANY production experience? ANY idea of how many more parts or how much more complexity involved? Sure, Tesla knows how to do D. That's EXACTLY why they are deferring. They know the complexity, and they are committed to demonstrating that they CAN do mass production with high quality. They are doing the right thing. Would I like D? Yes. But I do not expect it right off the bat. Sorry for your disappointment, but this is totally understandable.
Please listen. TESLA / ELON said that dual motors would be available first a long time ago. It wasn't simply a wish of forum participants.

Honestly I believe this is about part sourcing more than anything. Tesla is bringing a whole new platform up from scratch. RWD uses a certain rear motor. AWD uses a DIFFERENT front and rear motor. It also adds extra steps to the production process. My guess is that they simply can't produce all 3 engine types at large scale yet. RWD now...AWD soon.

I'm a day one reservation holder as well (8th in line at Brooklyn) and I'm pretty frustrated because I wanted AWD as well. On the bright side, there are likely kinks in the early production that will get ironed out by the time AWD gets made. Also, if you DID go RWD, the weight distribution SHOULD take care of most of the issues a typical RWD car/truck has.
Let's assume AWD cost $3,500, waiting 6-9 months and missing out on $7,500 tax credit, makes AWD a $10,000 option. Not worth it