Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweet re: lack of instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HUDs are OK as long as you can turn them off.

They are neat toys but can irritate the crap out of you after awhile. I'd rather have an uncluttered view of the road, so they tend to stay off.

I'd never pay extra for one. Sadly some cars come with them as base level equipment.

teslahud.png
The dashboard is supposed to be final with that single screen.
Now where will go all those mandated by law control and indicator lights?

My guess is the steering wheel will have fixed center similar to C5 steering wheel with control lights (simple leds).

Reactions: toto_48313
I doubt this would ever happen, but see that thin black strip that runs across the entire dashboard -- about 1" high?

I could see that as an information strip with things like speed, range, energy usage, audio and A/C settings, clock and temp, etc. Or even news headlines or stock quotes ticker-style. Or you can just turn it off completely, or set it to any trim color you want.

Yeah, I know, very expensive and different. But I think it would be really cool in addition to a HUD for the driver.

But no HUD and no instrument cluster? I think that's a big mistake. We shall see.

If Tesla keeps the elongated steering wheel form factor, that is indicative of a pending HUD. A traditional steering wheel would protrude up into the HUD viewing area; hence the elongated (flat) steering wheel of the prototype cars.

Yes, I absolutely agree. The drivers at the event indicated that the interior design was intentional and deliberate.

The key pieces of information that are currently on the Model S driver screen (Speed, Cruise Control indicator, Autopilot Indicator, Drive Mode) are found on the main screen in the Model 3, so having this information on some sort of additional display would be redundant.

View attachment 170517

It seems like most of the things you can select on the S center screen are there, with a couple glaring exceptions. I don't see any indication of a way to access the rear view camera, and even more odd, I don't see anything on the energy usage or power, or a button that might lead to them.
Walter

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and SW2Fiddler
Y
The key pieces of information that are currently on the Model S driver screen (Speed, Cruise Control indicator, Autopilot Indicator, Drive Mode) are found on the main screen in the Model 3, so having this information on some sort of additional display would be redundant.

Still missing the central portion of the AP UI and no place to show turn-by-turn directions, so it seems there needs to be something else.