Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweet re: lack of instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A joystick does not imply only autopilot. Joysticks can be highly responsive and very precise. I remember 30 years ago, some discussions that the steering wheel was likely to go away in favour of a joystick like device. We may actually be arriving at that point.

Yeah but how often do you use a valet or let someone else drive your car for some reason or the other? My wife and I leave the kids at home with the grandparents when we go on a mini vacation for our anniversary every year. If there was a joystick I guarantee you my parents would not even sit in the car. I don't let others drive my cars often and I probably would be pretty protective but the car needs to work like a car in those cases. You can't just change the way the car drives completely you need to allow for normal use cases.

Uh huh... That leans a bit toward my thought that there may be no steering wheel at all... just a joystick like device. That would certainly cut costs. And there's no reason that it can't work - as long as the safety/legislative issues are resolved. Pilots control highly responsive jet aircraft with joysticks every single day.

But... the risk is that you're going to alienate some of the more traditionalist potential buyers.
While we're at it, let's drop the pedals, too! Accellerate/brake by pushing the stick front/back! :confused:o_O

You can easily make fine steering angle adjustments with a wheel that rotates through ~1080 degrees (3 rotations). You'd get 1/10 of that with a joystick. It would be much harder to control with the same level of granularity.

Plus you'd be forcing a major portion of your buyers to drive with their non-dominant hand - lefties (me) in LHD countries, and all the righties in RHD countries.

The flying analogy doesn't really work - I've flown a few (prop) planes with sticks (DA-20 between the legs, SR22 sidestick), and it's completely different. It's hard to explain, but flying a plane is about pointing it in a general direction, not following a specific path on a ribbon of asphalt, while dodging obstacles (cars, pedestrians, etc). If you were driving a car around in an empty parking lot, that'd be one thing. On a busy street?

When you were a kid, did you ever try to ride a bike with your hands crossed (left on right hand grip, right on left)? It was one of those dare things we tried once. You'd get a few feet before crashing. I think a side-stick car would last about as long before someone ran into something.

Of all the possible dealbreakers, a joystick would be huge. 50% cancellation of orders, minimum. It would never fly with the general public (no pun intended).
My thoughts too.

There are many cars with centre mounted instruments with no HUDs.
No HUD is shown in Model 3 prototype, no HUD in the expensive Model S and Model X.
Why would Tesla put a HUD for Model 3 when it is not necessary to do so?
Have you driven a car with center mounted gauges? I have (Mini Cooper), for 8 years. It's one of those things you put up with, you may even get used to it, but no one I've ever spoken with likes it.

A HUD or steering wheel mounted display is key.

Have you driven a car with center mounted gauges? I have (Mini Cooper), for 8 years. It's one of those things you put up with, you may even get used to it, but no one I've ever spoken with likes it.
A HUD or steering wheel mounted display is key.

But have you tried the one in Model 3?
The large screen allows the left and upper edge of the screen much closer to your line of sight than other centre mounted instrument.
It should actually be less eye travel from the road than a traditional speedometer.
That's why you don't need a HUD; and you should give it a chance before writing it off.

0LzIIJz.jpg

Instead of HUD you may see driving data displayed on the steering wheel.
If so, it will have to be a steering wheel that doesn't turn, because when the wheel turns the data will rotate. GPUs aren't powerful enough, and displays are not responsive enough, to smoothly compensate for rapid rotation of the physical display so that the data being displayed remains legible.

In any case, the steering wheel is much too close to the driver to be useful as a data display area. You have to drop your gaze too much and focus too closely to easily absorb the data being displayed.

Check Mercedes F200 concept from the 90s. Sidesticks, no pedals, controllable from driver and passenger seat and worked well according to Mercedes. Ahead of its time though...

end of '90 or beginning of '00 I don't remember but I believe I have saw a report of the tv Show "turbo" (french TV) about a Fiat car, all about electric where you could give your wheel the one person next to you.

Reactions: Red Sage
If so, it will have to be a steering wheel that doesn't turn, because when the wheel turns the data will rotate. GPUs aren't powerful enough, and displays are not responsive enough, to smoothly compensate for rapid rotation of the physical display so that the data being displayed remains legible.

In any case, the steering wheel is much too close to the driver to be useful as a data display area. You have to drop your gaze too much and focus too closely to easily absorb the data being displayed.
I wouldn't want flying displays heading my face when the driver airbag deploys. I doubt a display would be mounted on the steering wheel.

I highly believe it would be a dash display like the prius. Looking at the videos the Model 3's dashboard is lower profile and kind of setup nicely like the dash display on the prius.

This is how Toyota solves the center display problem in the Prius V. I find it OK to use, but it's awfully busy, even with essential vehicle systems and performance, and nav/environmental/entertainment data up on separate screens. It needs a "declutter" function. The one big screen on the 3 will need this even more. So I do hope there's an alternative solution coming.
Too much data is the same as no data.
Robin

Attachments

• toyota-prius-v-4_600x0w.jpg
    toyota-prius-v-4_600x0w.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 178
Lack of Instrument Cluster:

Everyone's personal opinions aside, nobody knows whether the eye-travel-distance to a conventional instrument cluster is really less compared to the Model 3's location for the same info. Until you sit in the driver seat and see it for yourself, it is just an assumption you are making; that's it.

HUD option:

HUD hardware is actually very cheap to manufacture. R&D of software makes up the largest chunk of the cost. Tesla can easily incorporate a simple HUD system without breaking it's bank, based purely on the economics of scale. I mean, Navdy is a startup trying to recover a lot of their R&D and ramp-up costs for their 3rd party HUD system, and they charge $500 right now, for their product. Tesla could easily get something better on the M3 for under $100.

A full windshield HUD system is what would make ME feel like I'm in a spaceship. But again, who knows what Elon meant? We'll see. That system for sure can't come standard. It will probably be a paid option, if they even have it. Until we know for sure, I can only dream of having this in my M3 in 2018:

13352_19622.jpg

Could it be more like this:

View attachment 170569

Because Elon can't help pushing the envelope. As an investor in TSLA stuff like this sometimes makes me nervous. But, at some point you have to sit back and trust that he is not only going to do something really cool, but also functional.

The picture of steering wheel I showed above is a Mercedes concept they envision bringing to the world in maybe 20 years. Elon is bring us this stuff in less than 2 years!

No, that's the new display for the Model S upgrade.

Making a system like that display clearly in all road and weather conditions including bright sunlight strikes me as extremely difficult. I'll believe it when I can see it...
A full windshield HUD system is what would make ME feel like I'm in a spaceship. But again, who knows what Elon meant? We'll see. That system for sure can't come standard. It will probably be a paid option, if they even have it. Until we know for sure, I can only dream of having this in my M3 in 2018:
View attachment 170670

Not for BMWs. BMW HUD is not interchangeable between LHD and RHD cars.

HUD is not always ideal. I can't see my BMW HUD in the day because I wear polarized sunglass - and I am not willing to give up my polarized sunglass just to view the HUD.

Got rid of my Ray Bans for just that reason. I recommend Serengetti Driver's Gradient glasses. A technology ideal for pilots and Tesla owners. News - Serengeti Eyewear

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage and Takumi
Yeah. Elon goes "it's like a spaceship" - I'm surprised no one has gone "OMG it's going to have superchilled liquid oxygen"

But a wheel mounted screen doesn't have to be rectangular and the display section of the wheel assembly doesn't have to rotate necessarily. Only the bit you hold has to rotate (obviously)

Not for BMWs. BMW HUD is not interchangeable between LHD and RHD cars.

HUD is not always ideal. I can't see my BMW HUD in the day because I wear polarized sunglass - and I am not willing to give up my polarized sunglass just to view the HUD.
In this post, ikjadoon posted a link to TI's DLP-based HUD projector. It specifically says it works with polarized glasses (how, I'm not sure)

There's a pretty cool demo video on the TI page, but it won't embed here.

Reactions: ikjadoon
No steering wheel. Sidesticks. Makes sense, one model globally. Everything lined up in the center. Space for passengers while in auto mode. It's drive by wire anyways... Think about it.
Why stop there? What about the old school accelerator pedal? Two words: Thrust lever!
pttmc.jpg

At first, I just wanted the stick/lever combo... but come to think of it, wouldn't motion sense be even better?
More likely to be projected from the back of the "tablet" into the middle of the windshield. The more functionality they can move to the middle of the car, the easier it is to make LHD & RHD variants. Also, it makes servicing easy - no need to rip the dash apart to fix a broken HUD.
Why? Couldn't it be a little module that plugs into a hole in the dash?