Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, Vern had just gone through weeks of hell trying to save those boys. Again, he is a hero. He was there searching as the cave was flooding. He recruited the British Navy to come to their rescue. He knew the cave extremely well.

Second, grow up. If someone insults you, don't stoop to their level. Elon is CEO of a 50B+ public company; he could have spun this into "look how amazing our engineers are."

Third, it's a shitty appology. It's in Twitter at midnight in response to a tweet that was basically mocking journalism. He tries to create an equivalence between their two insults when they aren't equal.

Elon has media training, a huge PR team, and 22M Twitter followers.

5 weeks ago, Vern was a nobody living in Thailand, with no media training, and limited social media experience.

Here's a more professional appology:

I want to appologise to Mr. Vern. Earlier this week, I foolishly stated that <defamation>, in a now-deleted Tweet.

I was stressed after working intensely with the SpaceX team to ensure the divers had a viable backup plan. After seeing Vern's comments late at night, I lashed out.

It was a childish comment that was completely baseless, and I sincerely regret it. Mr. Vern worked tirelessly to see to those boys rescue. I hope he will forgive me.

I don't see an attempt to create an equivalence. It said (1) why he was angry (2) his response was unjustified.

Could have been more emphatic, as per your suggested wording, but your wording would be unsuitable because it repeats the defamation and a defamatory statement shouldn't ever be repeated.

Next time I get in an argument with my wife, I'll post an apology on TMC. It's a public forum, so she should be able to find it. That'll suffice right?

If you besmirch someone's reputation in public, you apologize in public.

I guarantee that if Elon had opted to apologize in a private medium, but left the public accusation hanging out there un-addressed, the usual suspects here would be up in arms over Elon's cowardice in not publicly owning up to his actions.

(Incidentally, you'll note Vern's insult of Elon wasn't directly either, he opted to do it to a 3rd party in a public interview)

A sincere apology should not reference the actions of others, only the regrettable actions of the person apologizing.
Sincere: "Hey, I'm sorry for calling you an idiot in front of everyone. That was totally uncalled for and I won't do it again."
Not so sincere: "Hey, even though you do terrible work and you deserved to be called an idiot, I'm sorry for calling you an idiot in front of everyone. I won't do it again."

See the difference?

Sincerity of an apology is tangential to addressing your motive, your personal attempt to paint it otherwise notwithstanding.

If anything, some context often helps the other party understand not only the circumstances, but can also prod them to examine if they themselves bear some culpability for their own actions.

Last edited:
Copy/paste for those of us that can't access twitter. Thanks.
It's a Deepak parody account (bear), i just thought it was hilarious,prob wrong to post here, mods delete if wrong but dont ban me please!

"Now that Thailand Cave situation is behind us, Elon Musk is off to Michigan to fix Flint's water. We advise Flint Mayor to immediately accept whatever solution Musk provides unless you want to be exposed as a pedo."

Did I spell his name wrong? Didn't even know! I'll make sure to post my apology in a different part of this forum sometime in the distant future.

I believe, to follow your logic, you should avoid ever mentioning anything like an apology here, and, instead, seek them out in person for a private apology that we'll forevermore accuse you of not making.

Reactions: JRP3
It's a Deepak parody account (bear), i just thought it was hilarious,prob wrong to post here, mods delete if wrong but dont ban me please!

"Now that Thailand Cave situation is behind us, Elon Musk is off to Michigan to fix Flint's water. We advise Flint Mayor to immediately accept whatever solution Musk provides unless you want to be exposed as a pedo."

In all seriousness, it would be rather entertaining if, at the behest of Flint's Mayor and multiple organizations on the ground, Elon had his engineers make water filters for Flint, then the EPA came in and cleaned up all the water before the filters were installed and the Mayor told him to "shove your filters where it hurts".

In all seriousness, it would be rather entertaining if, at the behest of Flint's Mayor and multiple organizations on the ground, Elon had his engineers make water filters for Flint, then the EPA came in and cleaned up all the water before the filters were installed and the Mayor told him to "shove your filters where it hurts".

You don't have to worry about the current EPA leadership cleaning ANYthing. Except their bank accounts when they accumulate too much money from those big oil boosters.

(That's rather unfair. He was being interviewed, and said some stuff. Context is important.)
I'm unclear why you think my pointing out that he didn't address Elon directly is unfair?

"What do you think of so-and-so?"
"I think he's a twit"

Is materially different than:

"I think so-and-so is a twit." ?

All of which ignores the reason I pointed out the venue: nether of the comments were private, both in a public venue... hence the the appropriateness of any apologies also being such.