Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Disagree
Reactions: MauryDann
I've been an investor in Tesla for over 5 years. I've been reading the Electrek site since the very first article Seth published. As my investment in Tesla grew (in both absolute and relative terms), so did my interest in Elon Musk and all the industries he's involved in / is looking to disrupt. After 5 years, I can safely say my interest in all things Elon Musk has turned into what is a bonafide obsession. I don't comment much, I'm more of a lurker, but I've pretty much consumed all available information from the sites most of us here probably also read (to varying degrees).

Over the last 18 months, I have definitely noticed an enormous ratcheting up of anti-Tesla / anti-Elon Musk sentiment. From someone who has been watching this space very closely, I would say that any TSLA longs need to take the following a bit more seriously...

...because this is definitely what is happening. And it's happening everywhere, and by a huge magnitude. Comments sections of Electrek, GTM, InsideEVs, Teslarati, Green Car Reports, Facebook groups, Instagram, hell - even on this very forum, are being peppered with harshly negative anti-Elon / anti-Tesla bias. But one in particular which has seen the most massive uptick is on Twitter. Whoever is engineering this knows that it's Musk's preferred choice of social media.

You can call me crazy, but this isn't just some conspiracy theory. If anyone out there has the capability to do so, I would challenge them to look back from 18 months up to this point and aggregate the data. I can guarantee you there has been a huge surge over the last 12 months. It's not like suddenly the world started hating Elon Musk. I'm sure there are tons of retail investors out there who are following the short story, but I don't think their numbers and fervor have increased organically at the rate I've noticed the uptick. Anyone who is going to be impacted by Elon knows that he has won the hearts and the minds of the masses. And there is a cyber-war being waged in front of our very eyes. It reminds me of the Cambridge Analytica scandal, only it has (seemingly) less sophistication and more volume / brute-force.

Our problem as investors: Elon has been watching his Twitter feed more and more actively, especially whilst sleeping at the factory and going through production hell. (He has to watch it, there's no other way he can so readily engage with his fans / followers). These attacks have seriously ramped up and unfortunately, he let the pressure get the better of him.

And let's face it... he did exactly what 'they' wanted him to do. He snapped and said something stupid. The tweets are real. I was literally watching them ping up on my notifications one-by-one.

It really disgusts me so much that the media just loves it. They're all over it. Seems like most journalists only care about clicks. Drive traffic and you've done a good job. This twitter drama gives them exactly that- more fodder, more clicks. Ugh.

Side note - I'm less concerned about his personal safety as part of all of this, but if I did put on my tin-foil hat I guess you could argue if 'they' manage to turn public opinion on him it will be less of an issue to do something truly nefarious.

Have to agree with this point. The coverage of the cave story is global. This goes far beyond just the Elon/Tesla/Space-X bubble most of us live in, and it has the potential to have a long-term impact.

Another valid concern. There are likely thousands of lawyers begging to take this case.

Fair point and agreed.

I don't even think it's worth entertaining the notion that the guy actually is a Pedo (sex tourist... perhaps. but pedo is over the top. either way, he shouldn't have said what he did).

I do think this is definitely going to hurt at market open. But there is a way for this to blow over, and that is for Musk to reach out and publicly apologize. He doesn't really have a choice. He needs to either do that + pay him off, or if the guy isn't feeling greedy (unlikely) apologise and then agree to donate a huge sum to charity of his choice in Thailand (or something).

Then he needs to go on a media tour (Oprah would be a great start, Joe Rogan would be a good one to follow, and a few more if possible). and remind the world about his grand vision and WHY he is doing what he is doing. Talk about his personal struggle, his personal sacrifices, give his take on how the media is attacking him, talk about the stress of keeping the company alive, talk about production hell, reiterate why he slept at the factory, talk about all the great people who work at Tesla and how unified they are behind the mission, etc., etc. You get the point. He needs to lay everything out.

If this is your take on the situation, then it is truly misguided. You obviously don't know all the facts. Nevertheless, this is the narrative that the general public is likely to take on. And it's pretty much why Elon should apologize. Even so, the second part of your post is crap and you're just trying to conflate the issue.

He's definitely on radio silence until him, his PR team, and the board have agreed the path forward. You can bet your ass that major investors and board personally called him and they are working on a strategy right now.

It is very incendiary to call some one a pedophile and should never be taken lightly especially from such a person of high esteem as Elon.

We obviously don’t know everything about this situation, but once again, perception is reality and if you google “Vern Unsworth” or even “Thailand Cave” literally all results come back with articles headlined as Elon calling Vern a pedo or attacking a rescuer. It’s literally every search result down the line.

Maybe the tweet context was in relation to an article recently published about “European retirees” accused of living in Thailand for the purpose of having sexual relations with underage boys. Maybe Elon was given certain information about this certain type of activity while there at the caves. Being a father of five boys, it may have touched a nerve or two.

We may never know and it is fairly irrelevant at this point—absent some shocking revelation on mr. Unsworth— to the impression being projected on google search and the broader media around the world.

It was a soccer team trapped in a cave during the World Cup soccer championship so the global press was a magnet to this story. Elon gave of his company’s talent and time which the lead rescue personnel requested and insisted upon. He followed through and delivered. As with the rest of the world, he only wanted those kids to get home safely, as did all those involved in the efforts. That should’ve been the end of the story.

But it didn’t. It turned into a bash fest on Elon and co.’s efforts as a pr stunt and not helpful to the efforts. And then for mr. Unsworth to tell him to shove the submarine up his *** this boiled Elon’s craw, which just was another bad faith attack on everything he stands for.... all amidst working extremely hard to hitting production goals for Model 3. Twitter is so tempting, just a couple thumb pecks away and here we are.

We also have to consider Elon has pretty much always defended himself against unjust press. I remember he called a times reporter a “huge douche bag” saying Elon took 2008 bailout money. Elon called out the mad money guy. He’s called out the la times. He called out short traders for a while now and we all know about the recent stuff with linette Lopez and Martin Tripp.

Elon gets sharp elbows, but he returns them also.

So, long time investors understand his personality and how he “fights back.”

As we’ve seen in that time period, Tesla has gone from a company of a few hundred employees producing a few thousand cars, to 50,000+ employees and has now produced over 200,000 (not to mention reusable rockets and working its way rapidly toward the 100th commercial launch mark)

So, I think he’ll make it through this media perception turbulence as well, and grind another day toward the goal of achieving sustainable consumption and production.

If he overreacted in his tweet, he should figure out a mea culpa strategy since he will be bombarded with this question on the conference call until he addresses it. If he knows something about Vern we don’t, he should say nothing and give no apologies and drive on. Hypothetically, his silence could indicate he stands by his statement and in this possible scenario if a curious press digs any deeper, they could discover something unseemly and that is not for Elon to disclose or get further involved with.

Either way, however this cookie crumbles, this too shall pass and Elon (and the rest of us) will move forward.

This is all over mainstream media.
Completly agree. It's crazy how the media here in Europe or Switzerland is against Tesla in the last months. They shared every story which is negative in the two biggest daily newspaper here. They even turned good news in to neutral or bad ones. A lot of people ask me why i would buy such a car in the last months which never happened before. You also see it in the comment sections. A year ago it was mostly positive, now people really start to dislike or hate Tesla.
This story is also on the first page on their online section and further moves Tesla and Elon into a bad light.

It's Trump-level madness to me, but Elon has a lot of redeeming qualities. I can't defend him on this one though. In fact, I have been contacted by 2 people about this and while I can usually explain away the FUD they have picked up about Tesla somewhere, this time I have nothing to reply other than "yeah, that's a terrible thing to say and I hope they find a way to shut him up".

I wonder if after this, and the "alien dreadnought" failure, and the "Model X hubris" failure, maybe it's time for Elon to move to a position where he is more concerned about possible future Tesla products and the Tesla mission / vision, which is his forte, and less concerned about running the company. I have grown increasingly doubtful about the CEO.

Even if Elon has this guy on tape saying he's a pedophile, posting it on twitter is just despicable. Contact authorities, sure, but don't tweet about it.

Lesson #1 - don’t ever talk to the media unless you’re willing to let all your skeletons out of the closet. The attention is (rightly so) on Elon right now, but you can bet the media will pounce on Vernon for anything in his past that is clickworthy.

Musk for whatever his brilliance is too distracted by all his endeavors (presumably) to see the long macro game.. and has fallen victim recently to that of the shorts. He is playing everything on a micro level, and if he really wants to react productively to whatever level shorts and or others with ulterior agendas are willing to stoop to, he needs to delegate it to experts, i.e. lawyers, PR folks and corporate espionage consultants - NOT himself. And I don’t blame him; he’s used to getting things done himself. But this is different. I would also add therapist/psychiatrist to the list. Mental health is key when you’re CEO.

This is the the sort of news event that gets cut through to normal people, causing untold damage to Elon’s reputation. And because he has quite deliberately blurred the line between Tesla and himself, this damages the company, everyone that works there...

This.

People around me know that I have a Model 3 reservation. Other than frequently making fun of my decision to stick with it, even though the delivery estimate gets pushed back and back, they now start to ask me why I still want to buy from a company whose CEO behaves like that.
In their minds it is clear who the bad guy is. And it's certainly not that diver. This twitter *sugar* really damages the reputation of EM (in the eyes of everyone I know he is seen as kind of a looney anyway) even further, but especially hurts the brand. A brand that already has a hard time over here image-wise, even without EM's twitter lapses.

Completly agree. It's crazy how the media here in Europe or Switzerland is against Tesla in the last months. They shared every story which is negative in the two biggest daily newspaper here. They even turned good news in to neutral or bad ones. A lot of people ask me why i would buy such a car in the last months which never happened before. You also see it in the comment sections. A year ago it was mostly positive, now people really start to dislike or hate Tesla.
This story is also on the first page on their online section and further moves Tesla and Elon into a bad light.

Similar here. It seems the tide started to turn about at the time when Elon announced he would work with Trump. Even though he later didn't go through with it, this has stuck with many people. And as no American is hated more over here than that madman in the White House, EM got caught in that. Add to that the fact that Tesla stuck a big F.U. up at Europeans by pushing the Model 3 launch here back in favor of US deliveries (which is also seen as wanting to please Trump), feelings have soured quite a bit.
Perhaps EM's proposal to build a future Gigafactory in Europe, Germany in particular, might have been an attempt at easing tensions a little, but the effect of this remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Singer3000 said: ↑
This is the the sort of news event that gets cut through to normal people, causing untold damage to Elon’s reputation. And because he has quite deliberately blurred the line between Tesla and himself, this damages the company, everyone that works there...

This.

Absolutely. Though relating to the second part of your post, I don't think people in Europe associate Elon Musk with Trump in any way at all.

It's just sad that I remember biker [aka motorcycle] days during the previous administration where the Stars and Stripes flew from countless American two wheelers - there was not a one such pennant this year.

I have not read Elon Musk's latest tweets, and it does not matter on which side of the truth he's situated if the measuring stick is the impact on Tesla. He should stop immediately or risk serious and long lasting damage to the brand.

Lay off tweeting for three days, and solicit honest advice from people he trusts.

If this gets further out of hand, the only way to save Tesla from possibly existential damage will be for Elon Musk to relinquish his position at the company, which I trust few people on this board would relish.

It would also be good to find someone analogous to Gwynne Shotwell to run the company day to day.

This whole situation is such a shame. Clearly the negative press that attaches to everything Musk does was out in full force throughout the Thailand rescue escapade. Add to that the fact that the SpaceX solution wasn't used, and as a cherry on top toss in that this British dude takes it to 11 by insulting Elon personally.

I can see how that would tee off Musk to the point where he responds on Twitter. It'd certainly piss me off, and I'm not a billionaire who's put my all, both financially and personally, into the Tesla mission over the course of more than a decade, all the while dealing with endless negativity from all corners, much of it presented in bad faith. That he eventually snapped is understandable. Perhaps it was inevitable.

The problem is that Musk then responded with the indefensible: calling the guy a pedophile. That's a serious allegation and one that even if he has evidence for, should be made to the proper authorities and not to the public via Twitter. If he doesn't have evidence, it's clear libel and given the relative net worth and popularity involved will certainly involve significant sums of cash being transferred from Musk to the diver.

I'm glad Elon deleted the tweets, as it shows that at least he realized he made a mistake. Hopefully he realized this on his own, and he knows he actually screwed up rather than having just reacted to the negative press.

To my mind, the lasting impact, and shame, of this situation is that it reveals that Musk is an asshole, and not in the way we already knew he was an asshole. Typically that's come out in the way he has treated employees less committed to the mission than he, and while on some level that's regrettable, it's also understandable and something that comes with the territory of working with/for Musk on the important/difficult/surviving on the razor's edge missions that his companies engage in.

This is something else entirely. It reminds me of a situation with a video game streamer awhile back. While in a streaming session, he called an opponent the n-word. It was uncalled for and inexcusable, but his apology involved suggesting that while under the stress of focusing on the game and being in a situation where all eyes were on him, he used words he typically wouldn't, or something to similar effect. The problem is that when the chips are down and stress removes a person's normally-engaged filter, what comes out tends to be what they really are thinking.

The stress is high, the chips are down, and Musk called a guy a pedophile, then doubled down on the allegation. The backlash has been large and he's deleted the tweets, but has not apologized or provided further evidence or context for the allegation.

This is a terrible situation, and it says bad things about Musk. I think less of him today than I did yesterday, and that's a shame.

It's a shame not just because it suggests that Musk is less deserving of the respect most of us here give him, but also because we are at a point where the focus should be shifting to the incredible success that the many thousands of Tesla employees are demonstrating as the Model 3 starts to hit actual, profitable mass production. It's a shame because just at the point where Tesla the company begins to serve up actual, delicious prime-cut steak, we're ten pages into a thread discussing just how bad it is that the CEO called a rescue diver a pedophile.

It's a shame. I hope that Musk not only follows up with a sincere apology but that he takes the lesson to heart and comes out of this a wiser person than he was a day ago.

They are real. I got up in the middle of the night and saw them.. and they were up for some time.

No excuse for Elon saying what he did. He should apologize.

However, I am seeing some mitigating circumstances.. the Vern CNN interview itself was incendiary. And then there is this article from before the whole s storm.

Timeline: The full story of the Thai cave rescue

They turned to Vern Unsworth, 63, a British caver who lived nearby, and who described the cave network as his "second home" after years of exploring and mapping it.

..and the cave is a magnet for curious children.

I could tell my friends I love going to the circus, and of course everyone knows the circus attracts loads of young children. Does that make me a pedophile?

Looking at stock price and the viral nature of this event, this is the new market section. We’re not supposed to talk about the tweet there, but this is driving down the stock $5.60 premarket
Even Howard dean chumed in that tsla is a zero if Elon losses it. If it turns out this guy is a pedo, Elon should have handled it through back channels. Associating yourself with pedo’ even as an accuser hurts your branding. Not just of Tesla, but your human personal brand.

With 1000+ cars a day the stock should be cranking and the shorts should be running, instead they are energized and think Elon in in full Howard Hughes mode. I’m not sure who is his voice of reason, but if he needs to, he should bring Gwynn Shotwell over as acting COO to get him to focus on his job, engineering and cutting deals like the Chicago boring tunnel.

And someone to carry his phone and give it to him when he needs to make a call or send a personal text message.

People asked Elon to help, he initially refused. People asked again. He tried as hard as he and his team could. Then people criticized him. I know what that is like. His response was not the best.

Rather than reading rehash news stories, I'd suggest reading the whole Twitter thread of the attempt with replies turned on...

Elon

July 7
Continue to be amazed by the bravery, resilience & tenacity of kids & diving team in Thailand. Human character at its best.

July 8
Extremely talented dive team. Makes sense given monsoon. Godspeed.

July 9
Just returned from Cave 3. Mini-sub is ready if needed. It is made of rocket parts & named Wild Boar after kids’ soccer team. Leaving here in case it may be useful in the future. Thailand is so beautiful.

July 10
Great news that they made it out safely. Congratulations to an outstanding rescue team!

July 11
This reaction has shaken my opinion of many people. We were asked to create a backup option & worked hard to do so. Checked with dive team many times to confirm it was worthwhile. Now it’s there for anyone who needs it in future. Something’s messed up if this is not a good thing.

...many days later this report...