Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets: Solar Roof and solar panels will only be sold integrated with Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That this should give competitors some more customers (those whom dont see the value in powerwalls).

I also find it interesting that they (Tesla) will currently not sell powerwalls to people with existing solar, who dont want to add on another PV install.

In a nutshell, Tesla is likely trying to say something like "our price with a powerwall is the same price as So and So without one, and you can get it sooner with ours".

This seems like one of those things that they might change their mind on, though, as there are plenty of people who want solar without powerwalls, and now those people will be pushed elsewhere.

He then adds another tweet stating, “Solar power will feed exclusively to Powerwall. Powerwall will interface only between utility meter & house main breaker panel, enabling super simple install & seamless whole house backup during utility dropouts.”

Does this mean we won’t be able to send solar back to the grid? Are they taking away the advance setting options (cost saving and balanced)?

Follow-up explanation tweet:
"Solar power will feed exclusively to Powerwall. Powerwall will interface only between utility meter & house main breaker panel, enabling super simple install & seamless whole house backup during utility dropouts."

Sounds like he's saying it's primarily to reduce installation complexity?

I am not super technical in this area (not even close) but I read that as "we are doing these in whole home backup only". Anyone else see it that way?

Reactions: jhn_
Follow-up explanation tweet:
"Solar power will feed exclusively to Powerwall. Powerwall will interface only between utility meter & house main breaker panel, enabling super simple install & seamless whole house backup during utility dropouts."

Sounds like he's saying it's primarily to reduce installation complexity?
I am not super technical in this area (not even close) but I read that as "we are doing these in whole home backup only". Anyone else see it that way?
That’s the way I read it. If so, this is not good. Will this mean he’s also changing the settings on all of us so we can’t use the PW as cost savings?

That’s the way I read it. If so, this is not good. Will this mean he’s also changing the settings on all of us so we can’t use the PW as cost savings?

I dont use twitter, except under duress (like during wildfires, for example, to get info). One reason I dont, is because it is VERY (very) easy to to misunderstand something when its boiled down to a small tweet. I dont use those modes, but I dont see it this statement having anything to do with taking away current modes.

I just see this as them saying "we are not doing critical loads panel installs any longer".

We should find out in the next few weeks though.

I dont use twitter, except under duress (like during wildfires, for example, to get info). One reason I dont, is because it is VERY (very) easy to to misunderstand something when its boiled down to a small tweet. I dont use those modes, but I dont see it this statement having anything to do with taking away current modes.

I just see this as them saying "we are not doing critical loads panel installs any longer".

We should find out in the next few weeks though.
Now that I read it again it does appear you’re correct. No more Subpanel for battery to backup only some parts of the house. Now you’re whole house must be backed up with the battery(s) to the main panel. This way you MUST by enough batteries to back up your entire house, thus a way for them to sell more batteries.

It’s the first sentence that is concerning. “Solar feeding exclusively to battery.”

Some folks are speculating the "Solar power will feed directly to Powerwall" point might mean they're eliminating the inverter with a new revision to the Powerwall. Just charge the Powerwall directly on solar DC.

Might explain why it's gotta be a package deal if they're dispensing with external inverters altogether.
Ohhhh...

That makes sense. Since both solar and battery are DC there’s no need for an inverter between the two. This would also reduce energy loss between the panels and and battery too.

They used to have a DC powerwall. It would also reduce the market for powerwalls, since as I understood it, the reason it was AC coupled was to increase install flexibility. They obviously have enough current demand that they dont need to worry about that.

I'll feel a little bad for the people who got Tesla Inverters if they're discontinued less than a year after introduction.

It could be the other way: They are taking the inverter out of the Powerwall and relying on the Tesla Solar Inverters for the DC -> AC function.

Someone that has one should crack that baby open and see if there are a DC ESS connections... ;)

Was the mid-range just a giant lemon or something? Not sure why having one would be a bad thing hah.

There isnt anything specifically wrong with that model (limited edition mid range, or LEMR in tesla forums speak). At the time it came out, the "standard range and standard range plus (SR and SR+) didnt exist.

The only "issue" if there is one, is that the Long range RWD and LEMR tesla model 3s have not received any OTA acceleration boosts like the other models. Nothing specifically wrong with them, and they are still getting OTA updates, just nothing specifically for that specific model.

Reactions: willow_hiller
If the latter is the case, no inverter except in the battery to run the house, no feeding the grid by solar when load is limited and battery is full, solar is shut off, lost generation, and no net energy metering. Just wow.

Keep in mind the restrictions on Powerwall feeding the grid directly are caused by the wording of the Solar Federal Tax Credit. And the Biden administration is now working on a separate energy storage tax credit that would eliminate that requirement.

In other countries where Tesla installs Powerwalls, they're free to buy and sell energy from the grid at will.

• Informative
Reactions: jhn_