Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Twitter’s market price starting to trend to what would be expected if Elon is either forced to acquire it or an out-of-court settlement with a small discount is reached.

It does seem that Elon values Twitter more highly than the market, so that opens up some room for a negotiated settlement to be reached, per the videos linked above.

Agreed, this is like a poker game now - weighing where the courts will decide, with Elon the option of creating his version of Twitter.

Manufacturers can use an outdated version of the EPA test and then apply a fudge factor of their choosing.
Technically not quite correct. Actually they can only use the higher value of the fudge factor if they do the more comprehensive set of tests. If they only do two-cycle testing (UDDS and HWFE) then they must use 0.7 to scale the weighted (55% and 45%) results of these tests. If they do test all five cycles, then they can (if they wish) scale their UDDS and HWFE results with a scalar factor (which so far has gone as high as ~0.76) which is based on a set EPA formula, using the results of all five types of cycles (adding US06 (“high” speed), 20F FTP (cold), and SC03 (air-conditioning)). At least that is my basic understanding.

So if you do better on high-speed/cold/AC, you can get a higher scalar for your weighted UDDS and HWFE cycle results. And thus a better range result.

A few manufacturers just choose to use 0.7. For example, VW, as I recall, lol. Also some other American manufacturers.

Of course, no matter what is done, the result is not very useful to the end customer, with current EPA regulations. It does not predict realistic highway range, which I would argue is most relevant.
I bet @AlanSubie4Life could write a 127 page document of criticism.
Would just need to cut and paste from this website.

Anyway, perhaps if the EPA used machine learning they could get to the bottom of their range fiasco. It should be punished, just like Twitter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Daniel in SD
TWTR is flat after hours. The market knew on Friday. Still seems like it should be higher if it’s certain to go through. Hard to imagine the Twitter board will agree to a price close to $43.

Oh, I see. I don’t really care either way. It’s just that Elon just telegraphed what’s happening with his ‘secured funding’ _this_ time.

Some of the suckers aren’t willing to be suckers, after all!

TWTR is flat after hours. The market knew on Friday. Still seems like it should be higher if it’s certain to go through. Hard to imagine the Twitter board will agree to a price close to $43.
I assume you watched the videos. Of course it is not certain it will go through, either. Anyway, you can put together your own worksheet with expectation values (I suspect there could have been some minor errors in his analysis based on the implied value of Twitter without the purchase offer).

$43 not that far off. Yeah, I wouldn’t expect much lower than maybe $49 from Twitter board. (And sounds like they wouldn’t have much difficulty fending off lawsuits either based on precedent.)

I assume you watched the videos. Of course it is not certain it will go through, either. Anyway, you can put together your own worksheet with expectation values (I suspect there could have been some minor errors in his analysis based on the implied value of Twitter without the purchase offer).

$43 not that far off. Yeah, I wouldn’t expect much lower than maybe $49 from Twitter board. (And sounds like they wouldn’t have much difficulty fending off lawsuits either based on precedent.)
I have not watched the videos.
$52.69 is still my guess!

I have not watched the videos.
$52.69 is still my guess!
The most exciting part of those videos is that it is apparently true that Elon could be forced to pay a $16B penalty or whatever to make Twitter whole (expectation damages, which are not limited by the contract). Pretty unlikely though. But Elon said the most entertaining outcome was the most likely….

This seems such a blatant lie.
Back in April, Elon sold $8bn of TSLA to fund his Twitter idea, and said then there would be no more TSLA sold. Yet, here we are. Feels like this could easily happen again next week, or next month, or whenever, for the rest of the $46bn. By expecting to buy the shares back later, he’s basically shorting? (betting that the value will go down in the meantime).

I love what Elon achieves for Tesla and for SpaceX, but it feels like this Twitter affair, and his use of that platform in general, has the potential to waste a lot of his time and money. And ours, too.

Last edited:
The most exciting part of those videos is that it is apparently true that Elon could be forced to pay a $16B penalty or whatever to make Twitter whole (expectation damages, which are not limited by the contract). Pretty unlikely though. But Elon said the most entertaining outcome was the most likely….
I don't need even more of Elon playing the victim, that's not entertaining at all. I'm much more interested in seeing him run Twitter.
At least, untill he buys more TSLA...
I think this is him saying the deal is definitely going to close. He already owns way too much Tesla stock and has many other interests and investment opportunities. When Elon starts new companies he makes a 1000x return, even if Tesla become the only company on earth it wouldn't be able to match that.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Back in April, Elon sold $8bn of TSLA to fund his Twitter idea, and said then there would be no more TSLA sold. Yet, here we are. Feels like this could easily happen again next week.
Whoopty-doo!

Circumstances change, plans change.

They are HIS SHARES, he can sell them when and how he wants (within the guidelines of insider trading rules dictated by the SEC and Tesla Board).

Some billionaires sell to buy yachts, houses/properties, etc. Elon wants Twitter. His money, so he can have it.

If you don't like the ride, get off the boat and sell any TSLA you might have.

Back in April, Elon sold $8bn of TSLA to fund his Twitter idea, and said then there would be no more TSLA sold. Yet, here we are. Feels like this could easily happen again next week.
planned. I don't think he was planning for the stock market to crash, the value of the company he agreed to buy to crater (some of which was his own doing) and all of his co-investors to jump ship.

If you don't like the ride, get off the boat and sell any TSLA you might have.
Good advice! That's what I'll do as soon as the SP recovers from the damage his Twitter-lust has caused.
Once we are back above 1100 I am out.
That will probably happen only after this saga ends one way or another (probably by him paying out far more than that cesspool is worth).

Reactions: alexGS and JRP3
Hey, so apparently there are investment fund vehicles available for people to do-invest alongside Elon if this purchase does go through. Minimum investment being at least $250K. I’m tempted to at least think about it, since Elon obviously has a big vision for Twitter that includes online payments. It would be a rare way to own part of a company that Elon controls.

• Informative
Reactions: CLK350
Status
Not open for further replies.