Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SK has made dozens, perhaps hundreds of millions of dollars off his content. And he's complaining over the cost per month of something around a Starbucks trip per month?

That makes someone look bad, but it's not Elon.

You missed the opportunity to confess that your claim of Twitter paying content creators has been debunked.

My friend, a former VP at Tesla, left the bay area for Austin (and splits his time in Miami as well). He said among management at Tesla, there was nearly zero pushback from anyone about moving to TX, everyone was happy that their taxes were going to drop.
I guess if taxes is all you care about. I have 2 kids in Austin. We intend to move near where at least 1 of our kids ends up. Austin is out of the question. No fan of the weather and no fan you need to drive freaking everywhere. I have come to hate suburbia and cities that are basically suburbs with little opportunity to get around without cars to me suck. So I will choose higher tax place that is very walkable over a low tax suburban sprawl.

I guess if taxes is all you care about. I have 2 kids in Austin. We intend to move near where at least 1 of our kids ends up. Austin is out of the question. No fan of the weather and no fan you need to drive freaking everywhere. I have come to hate suburbia and cities that are basically suburbs with little opportunity to get around without cars to me suck. So I will choose higher tax place that is very walkable over a low tax suburban sprawl.
Ain’t it grand to have a choice? Now imagine if we all fell under the same tax regimes nationwide.

No thanks.

I will add that I do have a fondness for Northern CA, but couldn’t consider calling it home even tax free due to the state’s restrictiveness regarding one of my hobbies as well as it being a fundamental, and constitutionally protected right.

• Funny
Reactions: Spacep0d and ohmman
TL; DW:
I think he's adopted this policy (comparable to Donald Trump) that all press is good press. I think he's been doing this deliberately. He makes himself a spectacle.

You don't have to guess. Elon was CRYSTAL CLEAR in why he thinks the $8 fee is necessary. He tweeted as much 2 days ago - to reduce bots. Non-validated, non-fee-paying tweets will be a lower priority. The bot farms currently sign up for these by the tens of thousands to push promoted tweets to the top, they won't do that if non-paying tweets hold less weight, and it costs them money to sign up for new accounts because their current bot accounts are banned.

Honest question - do you read Elon's tweets? No joke, he's covered all this. The MSM just is cherry-picking certain things and taking them out of context because they want to move the goalposts.

You also are getting the SK stuff and Elon wrong. The $8 is a flat fee for everyone that wants a blue check mark, content creator or not. You don't have to have it. But if Elon brings Vine back to complete with TikTok, SK can more than make up that $8 in content he makes money off of, and the $8 would be a drop in the bucket. Currently SK is making nothing off Twitter, zilch.

It's all an academic argument, we're turning ourselves blue in the face, but Elon WILL DO what Elon wants, nothing else.

Changing subjects - scuttlebutt is that 50% of Twitter is getting canned tomorrow.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

I live in high-tax suburban sprawl. Worst of both worlds (but a killer view, I'll give it that).

Where would you go? Somalia?

Actually, Costa Rica is nice, could retire there immediately and never have to work a day again with what I have saved (even after the current market crash).

Parts of Mexico are beautiful as well. Wife's family is from SE Asia, could retire there for cheap as well.

If I wanted to keep in the USA, I could go to Puerto Rico and the cost of living there is WAY lower than what I have in SD County. And the tax rate is really really low there (Puerto Rico Taxes – How to benefit from incredible tax incentives - Global Expat Advisors).

yup. and because China is important to his business ambitions he doesn't dare to critique the "zero covid" policy of the CCP one bit while simultaneously acting like CA shutdown in Fremont was the end of democracy. Consistency check fail.
My big problem with Elon is that when the Fremont factory was shut down in 2020, when we didn't have vaccines or any other way to manage SARS-CoV-2, the vast majority of the local people were on the side of the Alameda County Health Department and Elon was regarded as an asshole. But in Shanghai right now, the vast majority of people are against zero COVID so Elon would be regarded as a hero. And regardless of how you personally feel about COVID protocols, if Alameda County's restrictions are so ridiculous they require a standoff with the Sheriff's office, then Shanghai's require a standoff at least 5-10 times as big. But we don't hear a peep out of Elon about those.

Actually, Costa Rica is nice, could retire there immediately and never have to work a day again with what I have saved (even after the current market crash).

Parts of Mexico are beautiful as well. Wife's family is from SE Asia, could retire there for cheap as well.

If I wanted to keep in the USA, I could go to Puerto Rico and the cost of living there is WAY lower than what I have in SD County. And the tax rate is really really low there (Puerto Rico Taxes – How to benefit from incredible tax incentives - Global Expat Advisors).

Ah, so the fairness of taxes aren't really what you're concerned about. You just want to keep as much of your money as possible.

Understandable. I think most people want to keep as much of their money as possible.

Some of these places you've listed though, have you factored in the cost of private security and building your own infrastructure?

Food quality: SE Asia first, then Mexico, then Costa Rica.

Ah, so the fairness of taxes aren't really what you're concerned about. You just want to keep as much of your money as possible.

Understandable. I think most people want to keep as much of their money as possible.

Some of these places you've listed though, have you factored in the cost of private security and building your own infrastructure?

I've visited all those place, MX is the only one that worries me about security, and it's also a distant third. CR would probably be top of my list, possibly PR close second.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Have you factored in rebuilding every year after a hurricane or two?

Nah, you don't have to do that if you build right the first time. There was a guy in FL that built a beautiful beach-front home to withstand a Cat 5. . . . few years later a Cat 4 or 5 hit and he was the only house left. Said his overall cost of construction was 20-25% higher than the homes around him (deep steel footings being the main thing, and a wind-resistant roof).

Status
Not open for further replies.