Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the collective good Elon's fixed Twitter platform will do us all will more than compensate for his TSLA sales in the not too distant future. Not directly as it might affect /TSLA, even, but just in a making the world aa better place-sort-of-a-way, just because of Elon's magic.
Ya if Russian BOTS/troll factories cannot manipulate western elections ... if MSM can print lies and get fact checked ... success!!

Interesting theory by Alexandra Merz

TL;DR

1) Elon wants Twitter to become an online payments platform (amongst other things)

2) Jared Isaacman, CEO of Shift4 Payments ($FOUR) commanded the first all-civilian SpaceX mission last year.

3) Shift4 market cap is ~$4bn.

4) Elon has been raising cash in excess of what many think is needed to complete Twitter deal and shore up financials.

?

That's a very interesting theory. It sure would explain why Elon sold $4 billion+ worth of TSLA at the 52 week low to "save Twitter" when Twitter has $6 billion of its own cash sitting around.

This is the most practical theory of why Elon is selling now I've seen yet.

EDIT: Aaaannnndddddd 98% of the pre-market is very green today while TSLA just fell off a cliff and is -1.3%. Sigh, here we go again. :rolleyes:

I think the collective good Elon's fixed Twitter platform will do us all will more than compensate for his TSLA sales in the not too distant future. Not directly as it might affect /TSLA, even, but just in a making the world aa better place-sort-of-a-way, just because of Elon's magic.

We may never know how much anti-tesla sentiment and FUD was spread by fake/payed/twitter bots.

But then again ... we may.

if MSM can print lies and get fact checked ... success!!

Imagine Dojo processes world major and minor libraries, adds online scientific and theological archives and then "listens" to daily tweets.
Fact-checking done right?

TL;DR

1) Elon wants Twitter to become an online payments platform (amongst other things)

2) Jared Isaacman, CEO of Shift4 Payments ($FOUR) commanded the first all-civilian SpaceX mission last year.

4) Elon has been raising cash in excess of what many think is needed to complete Twitter deal and shore up financials.

?
I'm not going to say she's wrong, since it's impossible to predict Elon's actions, and he does have a personal relationship with Jared, and he's recently proven that he likes overpaying for companies.

But the payment processing services provided by Shift4 (including the functionality she mentions in her article) are commodities, matched by many other Fintech companies with much lower valuations. And Shift4's services are today entirely reliant on the major card brands; I think Elon prefers to disrupt rather than embrace the traditional payments ecosystem.

Loved the Merz piece. Particularly the bit about formation of Twitter Payments LLC on February 2, 2022 in Delaware.

Mention of collaboration with Shift4 in order to correlate 160 currencies and all the popular cards for transacting payments is key to consider as well.

This should squelch anyone still thinking Elon's intent was always and only about buying Twitter as a social media company.

For those still traipsing down that garden path, just wait and see where this goes. It may be bigger than you can imagine.

Loved the Merz piece. Particularly the bit about formation of Twitter Payments LLC on February 2, 2022 in Delaware.

Mention of collaboration with Shift4 in order to correlate 160 currencies and all the popular cards for transacting payments is key to consider as well.

This should squelch anyone still thinking Elon's intent was always and only about buying Twitter as a social media company.

For those still traipsing down that garden path, just wait and see where this goes. It may be bigger than you can imagine.
Yah. On the Twitter Spaces meeting, Elon said the plan is to have payments and later money market accounts via Twitter.

This number seems way too high for the revenue the company was making.

The expenses for this type of tech company must be mostly wages.

Slashing the head count seems like the only viable approach to me., In the current economic environment growing income from advertising seems like mission impossible,

Some processes that are currently manual may be able to be semi-automated.

Elon wasn't the only one who invested, I am sure some of these investors must have done some due-diligence. There has to be at least a vaguely plausible plan to turn the business around.

What I would have done differently to Elon is, not buy Twitter, and certainly not buy it for such a high price.

However, if I was stuck with buying it, I would be following a similar game plan, there isn't an abundance of good options.
Also remember that much of 2023 advertising buys already went away before Elon even completed the acquisition because Twitter couldnt answer questions. From advertisers. The pulled advertisements just made the matter worse.

I know EM not selling premarket. What up with the red in a sea of green?

Already have 2 million in volume. Anyone see headline?
I posted the real answer last night, but the Mod deleted it.

If Elon isn't selling shares to buy Twitter, but to keep it from going bankrupt, that is concerning, because he may have to keep selling if he can't turn the ship around.

TL;DR

?
Ok so lets say Elon does. Why would anyone use/need another online payments platform?

Also remember that much of 2023 advertising buys already went away before Elon even completed the acquisition because Twitter couldnt answer questions. From advertisers. The pulled advertisements just made the matter worse.
Right - all that was a result of Elon making then withdrawing an offer resulting in a lawsuit and huge uncertainty. The advertisers understandably were not eager to commit to an unknown. Essentially Elon created a financial crisis for Twitter and was then forced to take over because he had signed a binding contract. Kinda sucks for him but he’s got no one else to blame.

I posted the real answer last night, but the Mod deleted it.

If Elon isn't selling shares to buy Twitter, but to keep it from going bankrupt, that is concerning, because he may have to keep selling if he can't turn the ship around.

To me the real problem is that we don't know how much he needs to keep Twitter alive. If he has to sell $4B a year, who cares.

Yeah and Twitter is where who would want to have a money market account and why?
To gain interest on the monies you are transferring through there?
Zelle, Venmo, PayPal, Apple Cash
I know 2 of those don't work for me. Plus, I don't have the needed details for anybody I follow on Twitter to send them money via a 3rd party system.

If Twitter only takes a minimal cut and has direct linkage, there's a lot less friction when donating to creators.

Status
Not open for further replies.