Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PSA

Original post was a joke (go to Twitter and see how "Readers added context they thought people might want to know"). This is going to be more and more and more common.

Musk knows, that's why he wrote what he wrote. He is on full troll mode. He is also hoping that MSM picks up all this fake news and report them as real news.

I literally cut and pasted who you referenced. Sorry for taking you seriously.
Ok well I guess I over estimated your knowledge. Guess you didn’t see him reach out to Elon and ask to work for him for free.

I suggest you go learn who George Hotz is.

Sorry for my little error and spelling his name wrong 🙄😂 I’ll try harder next time k

Last edited:
Reactions: Mengy and JusRelax
You win an all expense paid trip to reality where the above person has a BS in business econ, interned at the famous "software house" of Smith Barney, lists his job as "Angel Investor" and who's most recent technical experience was serving as a "sales engineer".... Yeah - rock star programmer there!
I can't be bothered looking for it.

But the Comma-AI developer volunteered to do an internship as Twitter as long as it covers the cost of his accommodation, money wasn't the the motivation.

I can't remember his name, but he is a smart dude.

The whole point of Elon's presentation was that small teams of smart highly motivated people achieve a lot more than big teams of people with average motivation. Anyone who has ever worked for a small smart team should be in 100% agreement.

My impression is that many smart people who are leaving are in the "I want to work from home" category. And there is a good reason why Elon is making that rule, he is raising the bar on commitment.

As my boss used to say :- "Commitment is like Bacon and Eggs - the Chicken is involved, the Pig is committed"..

When you re working in those small smart teams everyone is committed, and it is a very enjoyable experience.

Last edited:

But the Comma-AI developer volunteered to do an internship as Twitter as long as it covers the cost of his accommodation, money wasn't the the motivation.

The whole point of Elon's presentation was that small teams of smart highly motivated people achieve a lot more than big teams of people with average motivation. Anyone who has ever worked for a small smart team should be in 100% agreement.

My impression is that many smart people who are leaving are in the "I want to work from home" category. And there is a good reason why Elon is making that rule, he is raising the bar on commitment.

As my boss used to say :- "Commitment is like Bacon and Eggs - the Chicken is involved, the Pig is committed"..

For reference, it's George Hotz.

"I’ll put my money where my mouth is. I’m down for a 12 week internship at Twitter for cost of living in SF. It’s not about accumulating capital in a dead world, it’s about making the world alive."

Lol it takes a type of special person to want to work in a high stress 80hr/week environment. Not many people are this dedicated, and if you are then you are most likely of quality when you know poor quality gets you fired instantly.

Musk is sleeping in the office breathing down your neck. You are with elite programmers who can see your BS from miles away. If this sounds fun to you then you have to be an elite programmer too as no one likes to work 12hrs a day to be publicly humiliated. And no you can't log 80hrs a wk watching YouTube.

Musk has always demanded 3x productivity from his workers and he has always got 3x. How else do you think Tesla has the highest margins in the industry beating rivals century old?

Must be why Tesla still has quality control issues with their product…..

When you re working in those small smart teams everyone is committed, and it is an very enjoyable experience.

GeoHot was the first person to jailbreak iPhone, back when it was super locked down.

To say that he is a smart dude is an understatement.

Fair enough. Kind of goes against the surveys that all the top engineers from schools want to work for Elon though.

Well...no.

They want to work for Tesla and SpaceX. I'm not sure there's a huge line of top engineers rushing out to work for the boring company in contrast.

As I suggested earlier- folks want to work at those 2 places for reasons that are likely not at all relevant to reasons people want to work at twitter. Likewise the first group and the second likely largely differ on the working conditions they're going to be ok with.

"I want to work 18 hours a day, in the office, to put the first human on mars!"

is rather different from

"I want to work 18 hours a day, in the office, to allow longer cat videos to be posted to social media!"

From most reports rather than "the best people stayed" (which is frighteningly TrumpSpeak) the folks who stayed were mostly "The H1B Visa folks who literally would've had to leave the country if they quit"

And while I'm sure some of them ARE great at their job, it's pretty unlikely they retained the best of the overall staff... and even LESS likely they retained a lot of the folks who actually understand all sorts of weird nuances about how and why things actually work.

I'm sure they'll be able to hire new engineers...nothing twitter is doing is, pardon the pun, rocket science.... but those new engineers will have 0 of the institutional knowledge that they just lost a ton of.

One of the things frequently mentioned was Twitter had no test environment and a ton of stuff that was poorly, or not-at-all, documented.... wholesale firing which leaves you with no idea how or why anything works, and no place to test changes is.... not great.

So expect for a while anyway to see a lot more weird things breaking or not working for no apparent reason- similar to when Elon broke 2FA because he didn't understand what services were actually needed for it to work correctly....because he fired whoever knew that.

See also the old joke about the ancient engineer who charged $10,000 to hit something with a hammer to fix it.... where $1 was for hitting it, $9999 was for knowing where to hit it.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I know this company who values quality control so much that they are losing 300k on every car they sell. But for whatever reason, they have producing cars with the thinnest paint in the industry.

No one cars about other companies…. We are talking about Musk demanding 3x’s the output like he’s running a Chinese sweatshop…. Which means a poorly assembled product…. But yeah let’s deflect….

No one cars about other companies…. We are talking about Musk demanding 3x’s the output like he’s running a Chinese sweatshop…. Which means a poorly assembled product…. But yeah let’s deflect….
It's call correlation doesn't equal causation. You have companies of all type with the same quality issues. Has nothing to do with productivity.

Except you don't, hiring freeze in almost all major SV tech companies..plus mass layoffs already announced. Also most who stuck with Musk became wealthy as he drives value like no other. His current complaint is that too many people from Tesla feels like they can retire due to their stock based compensation which you get plenty of at Twitter.
There’s zero indication he’s offered any concrete stock incentives to Twitter employees yet. How much is stock worth in a company whose debt is worth 50 cents on the dollar? He asked employees to commit to work 80 hours a week for someone who fired a large percentage of their friends for undefined compensation from a company that he says may go bankrupt. Tough sell.

There’s zero indication he’s offered any concrete stock incentives to Twitter employees yet. How much is stock worth in a company whose debt is worth 50 cents on the dollar? He asked employees to commit to work 80 hours a week for someone who fired a large percentage of their friends for undefined compensation from a company that he says may go bankrupt. Tough sell.
Pretty sure every company he has started from scratch were a hard sell and was not profitable, and riddled with debt. Yet all those who had stock options are more than retired today. Musk strongly believes in stock options as he thinks his employees should have skin in the game.

Defend Musk at all cost…. Unreal…. In 2022, the cult demands 3x’s productivity all for Dear Leader lmao
Or have spaceX and Tesla die under your typical management and typical productivity. These companies 100% would not survive through the financial crisis with workers not giving 80hrs a week.

Twitter is no different today, it's losing money everyday and can also die.

It is great! You want some? It will help you see reality and not the imaginary world you seem to live in.

So you are telling me when there are 1000s of software engineers looking for a job they won’t go work for Elon because he will make them work too hard? People need to feed their families and pay the bills. That’s reality dude.

People work for Zuck. Everyone on the planet hates Zuck and he can find engineers. Even now while META stock is in the cellar.

Engineers need to make their Tesla payments too.

Or have spaceX and Tesla die under your typical management and typical productivity. These companies 100% would not survive through the financial crisis with workers not giving 80hrs a week.

Twitter is no different today, it's losing money everyday and can also die.

The reason I'm upset about the Twitter dumpster fire is that I DONT want Elon distracted from doing his good work at Tesla and Space-X where he's proven to have great engineering insight - the opposite of what he's demonstrated in the social media space

The media is reporting based on parody accounts and random actors walking around in front of Twitter HQ and half of the people in this thread are lapping it up hook line and sinker.

It's all falling apart.
The accountant who is supposed to pay Twitter's power bill forgot to send the check in and the lights are out OMG! /s

Here's a crazy idea: Before you post some random news bite or tweet you verify it. I know.. big ask here.

Status
Not open for further replies.