Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you admonishing us? For not researching a policy that was just gaslight-updated 34 minutes ago?

Recall that the old policy (35 minutes ago) specifically said that even if you don't actually link to your external account, you can't even mention the username you use on any other service, other than TikTok of course.:

View attachment 886492

Don't worry. Just wait an hour or so until the rules change again. Everyone will be wrong then.

They need to get on with it and burn the whole thing down already.

It makes perfect (business) sense to not allow links to competitors. I really don’t see the problem in such a policy. I was amazed to see angry Twitter-users posting links to their Mastodon-accounts the last few weeks and already wondered when Twitter would start to do something about it.

Are you aware that the social media platform you are now posting on has the exact same rule:

24. COMPETING SITES, BUSINESSES, INDIVIDUALS, AND ORGANIZATIONS

You agree not to attempt to gain traffic from TMC in any way, including but not limited to, links in posts, signatures, profile information, messages, or emails, unless you have received explicit permission from TMC administrators or staff. This applies to, but is not limited to competing sites, businesses, individuals or organizations. You accept that TMC has the right to erase any information displayed or posted on the Service that may drive traffic towards competitors.

no one in their right minds would buy in at $54.20 at this point... but Saudis? hmmm....

Kushner has connections to the Saudis, who have way more money than he does, and even way more money than Elon does.

Saudis World Cup.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
It makes perfect (business) sense to not allow links to competitors. I really don’t see the problem in such a policy. I was amazed to see angry Twitter-users posting links to their Mastodon-accounts the last few weeks and already wondered when Twitter would start to do something about it.

Are you aware that the social media platform you are now posting on has the exact same rule:

You agree not to attempt to gain traffic from TMC in any way, including but not limited to, links in posts, signatures, profile information, messages, or emails, unless you have received explicit permission from TMC administrators or staff. This applies to, but is not limited to competing sites, businesses, individuals or organizations. You accept that TMC has the right to erase any information displayed or posted on the Service that may drive traffic towards competitors.
What you seem to forget is Elon's claim of Free Speech All The Time. And he even tweeted once that trying to keep people inside a walled garden was wrong. So it's OK to allow Nazis and White Supremacists back on there to spew their hate, but it's not OK to add your @ for Instagram or your Facebook link? This is a bad, bad move. I'm not saying he can't do it (at least in the US), I'm saying it's a stupid move.

What you seem to forget is Elon's claim of Free Speech All The Time. And he even tweeted once that trying to keep people inside a walled garden was wrong. So it's OK to allow Nazis and White Supremacists back on there to spew their hate, but it's not OK to add your @ for Instagram or your Facebook link? This is a bad, bad move. I'm not saying he can't do it (at least in the US), I'm saying it's a stupid move.
The policy seems contradictory. You can't link to prohibited 3rd-party social media platforms but in general you can.🤷‍♂️
Maybe it's just another tool Elon can use to suspend accounts that make him sad?
1671402254265.png

1671402281269.png

Interview with Jimmy Soni - Wikipedia (ex-editor of Huffington Post, also really funny interviewee)

I found this one of the most useful things to understand Elon's approaches to running businesses, what is likely to happen in the short term. Contains huge amounts of info about pre and post Paypal ousting of Elon I'd never heard before. I commend this to anyone who wants to know more. Rob Maurer is very fair-minded, critical of Tesla & Elon when he sees fit. Just under an hour though.

Last edited:
Lol you guys realize that other platforms already do this. There are many source linkes you can't post on youtube, and ebay doesn't allow you to post any kind of other type of communication afraid that you'll make a deal under the table.
This is very disingenuous. While YouTube does have restrictions on links (with biggest ones being in comments, mostly to address spam), they have no restrictions on posting links to other social media pages of the video creator. This is commonly done by most creators.

Heck you can go to Tesla's YouTube channel right now and see their links to Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn :
Tesla_Youtube.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TeslaMotors

Heck even Twitter's own YouTube channel does this!
Twitter_Youtube.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpg-U3_G3ZVck6QO6uhW_OA

As a sanity check, Facebook allows linking to Twitter and YouTube too:
Twitter

Being able to link to all your social media pages is simply expected functionality for major social media platforms.

And even if this is not the case, the reason for why this policy is being pushed out now matters too. This is a rule being made up on the spot, obviously because people were posting links to ElonJet's Mastodon page, as well as accounts preemptively linking their own pages after Twitter's whole journalist ban.

Absolute free speech does not exist. A few examples: you cannot break the law and you cannot threaten people or put them in danger or infringe on their privacy (doxxing). I wouldn’t consider linking to a competitor, which can be detrimental to the platform, to be free speech either. I’m sure that when Elon talks about free speech he means the freedom to share your political, scientific and other standpoints, as long as you don’t break the law.

The accusation of ‘allowing Nazis and White Supremacists back on there to spew their hate’ is getting a bit old. If they spew hate they will be banned again. Can you give examples of accounts that are allowed to do so?

The policy seems contradictory. You can't link to prohibited 3rd-party social media platforms but in general you can.🤷‍♂️
Maybe it's just another tool Elon can use to suspend accounts that make him sad?
View attachment 886500
View attachment 886501

The first paragraph covers linking to 3rd-party social media platforms, the second one posting content from those platforms (without link). That is a big difference, as the second one does not lead you away from the Twitter-platform.

Absolute free speech does not exist. A few examples: you cannot break the law and you cannot threaten people or put them in danger or infringe on their privacy (doxxing). I wouldn’t consider linking to a competitor, which can be detrimental to the platform, to be free speech either. I’m sure that when Elon talks about free speech he means the freedom to share your political, scientific and other standpoints, as long as you don’t break the law.

The accusation of ‘allowing Nazis and White Supremacists back on there to spew their hate’ is getting a bit old. If they spew hate they will be banned again. Can you give examples of accounts that are allowed to do so?
His literal description of himself was a "Free Speech Absolutist". You may think you know what he was thinking, but no one really does. So you think it's OK to let them back on and give them oxygen and just ban them after they've done more damage?

So, what happened to the crusade for "Free Speech Absolutism" in all this adventure?

You don't seem to understand that they are actively letting back IN the folks like the publisher of the Daily Stormer who were ALREADY banned for racist hate on the platform. How many "do overs" would you like to give the racists while Elon personally bans others who've done nothing but be critical of his actions.

Free Speech. PICK A SIDE and stick to it already, or confess what everyone else can see that Elon is using Twitter to advance his own personal tribal agenda and is demonstrating every day the kind of bias and suppression of free speech he claimed he was buying Twitter to get rid of - just with a new direction.

You don't seem to understand that they are actively letting back IN the folks like the publisher of the Daily Stormer who were ALREADY banned for racist hate on the platform. How many "do overs" would you like to give the racists while Elon personally bans others who've done nothing but be critical of his actions.

Free Speech. PICK A SIDE and stick to it already, or confess what everyone else can see that Elon is using Twitter to advance his own personal tribal agenda and is demonstrating every day the kind of bias and suppression of free speech he claimed he was buying Twitter to get rid of - just with a new direction.

EXACTLY. And the chef's kiss... Paul Graham who was a supporter of his announced he was leaving Twitter (mind you didn't post any links to anywhere) and just got banned. This is all about Elon and his own agenda.

As others noted, the vast majority of America's previously banned Nazis were promptly and personally reinstated by Elon.
Patrick Casey is one of the most prominent examples as he is the leader and publisher of the nation's largest promoter of white supremacy.
Here he is "spewing hate" in recent days. This is just one low-fruit example but it's pretty safe to assume that all of Musk's unbanned users are doing the same.

Last edited:
As others noted, the vast majority of America's previously banned Nazis were promptly and personally reinstated by Elon.
Patrick Casey is one of the most prominent examples as he is the leader and publisher of the nation's largest promoter of white supremacy.
I figured it would be easy to find examples, just didn't want to dirty my eyes looking for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.