Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SPOT on. People don't like it, but this is a math problem, plain and simple.

The older generations are living longer, and the younger generations are not having as many kids. It is mathematically impossible for the younger generation to make enough $$$ and contribute it to any nationalized pension/retirement system without running massive deficits.

The United States also increased the age for Social Security Benefits from 65 to 67, and the decision was completely math based. France is literally decades behind in this decision.

Thankfully we're dying sooner so they can't use the "living longer" excuse much longer. :)

In the US I believe most of the issues with social security really have to do with inaction. Democrats generally want to increase the payroll tax earning cap or eliminate it, and the republicans want to gradually increase the retirement age. The whole protect the rich, and punch the poor in the stomach kind of deal.

Personally I'm weary of any retirement scheme that's reliant on equal/greater numbers of people entering the workforce then retiring. I'm also weary of increasing the retirement age as its essentially a broken promise. The terms of agreement changed because the people in charge didn't take action when they needed to so it left them with only bad options.

My concerns over social security might be made irrelevant if AI/Automation continues to make massive strides. Who needs retirement when automation is taxed to provide supplementary income to people working 0-20 hours a week.

Thankfully we're dying sooner so they can't use the "living longer" excuse much longer. :)

In the US I believe most of the issues with social security really have to do with inaction. Democrats generally want to increase the payroll tax earning cap or eliminate it, and the republicans want to gradually increase the retirement age. The whole protect the rich, and punch the poor in the stomach kind of deal.

Personally I'm weary of any retirement scheme that's reliant on equal/greater numbers of people entering the workforce then retiring. I'm also weary of increasing the retirement age as its essentially a broken promise. The terms of agreement changed because the people in charge didn't take action when they needed to so it left them with only bad options.

My concerns over social security might be made irrelevant if AI/Automation continues to make massive strides. Who needs retirement when automation is taxed to provide supplementary income to people working 0-20 hours a week.

I could care less, honestly.

I have a job I LOVE. I can do it from anywhere in the world. I don't ever intend to retire, but I may cut back my hours.

The entire "promise" of someone else paying for my retirement never set right with me. Ever. But, I don't trust people, and I trust politicians even less.

By introducing a $25,000 viable EV sooner.

How would that help? LITERALLY they can't get enough batteries for the cars they make now. LITERALLY they can't get the factories spun up faster to produce a lower price car.

You do understand that a decrease in price from the current 40k Model 3 to a 25k Model whatever would move things from a TAM (total addressable market) of 3-4 million cars per year (which they can't even meet currently) to a TAM of 10-12 million cars per year?

All a $25k car right now would do is push in millions of orders and then millions of frustrated customers.

Right, because that’s how it works. Someone else pays for it…

Remind me what that SS payroll tax they take from every one of my checks does again?

What you pay into the system doesn't cover what your projected earnings are in retirement. For most people, they will actually draw FAR more from the system than they ever put into it (including adjustments for inflation and safe earnings rates by SSI like T-bills, etc.).

Back in about 2011, as the number of boomers retiring started to grow sharply, the system moved from being net inflow-positive, to net inflow-negative.

SSI does NOT have the ability to borrow to cover debts, unlike the gov itself. So unless there are changes made to the system, there are projections that it will run out of money sometime in the next 10-20 years. Now, this is not the only time we have seen those projections, and politicians put into place mechanisms to shore up SSI (increasing the taxed portion of earnings - this goes up each year, it used to be fixed, and pushing up the retirement age from 65 to 67).

The ENTIRE system depends completely upon having more people funding it's existing retirees. Because those funds you are contributing paycheck to paycheck are not getting stored up, they are going to your parents and grandparents drawing SSI right now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: philw1776
How would that help? LITERALLY they can't get enough batteries for the cars they make now. LITERALLY they can't get the factories spun up faster to produce a lower price car.

You do understand that a decrease in price from the current 40k Model 3 to a 25k Model whatever would move things from a TAM (total addressable market) of 3-4 million cars per year (which they can't even meet currently) to a TAM of 10-12 million cars per year?

All a $25k car right now would do is push in millions of orders and then millions of frustrated customers.

Not "right now". That is something where Elon could (hopefully) help to figure out the fastest way to make that possible, whenever that is. That is where his full attention might be of good use.

Not "right now". That is something where Elon could (hopefully) help to figure out the fastest way to make that possible, whenever that is. That is where his full attention might be if good use.

And why do you assume he hasn't done this? This isn't rocket science (irony intended). There are not a lot of huge engineering problems left to solve.

It's a "volume" problem. The entire Tesla team works on how they can produce more cars, and how they can convince their suppliers to provide them with the components and raw materials they need to move things along as quickly as possible.

• Disagree
Reactions: advocate8
twitter has just totally gone to crap. its messed up there ngl esp w elon taking over. dont use it, and ill prob only stick to reddit.
Why because CNN & CNBC and WaPo and Reuters said so? You need to stop reading fake news and see for yourself.

Twitter experience has actually improved quite a bit with bot counts coming substantially down.

Why because CNN & CNBC and WaPo and Reuters said so? You need to stop reading fake news and see for yourself.

Twitter experience has actually improved quite a bit with bot counts coming substantially down.

You are in the wrong thread. This thread is the pinnacle of Elon haters, and the sensitive ones here won't take it well if you provide any counterpoint to their narrative.

He's the anti-Christ to those here. 😂

What Musk says and what actually happens can be two very different things.

We Asked Twitter About Hosting Antisemitism. It Responded With a Poop Emoji.

The amount of antisemitic tweets poisoning Twitter timelines has more than doubled since Elon Musk took the platform’s reins, according to a new study.

The research, published on Monday by the Institute for Strategic Dialogue, found that antisemitism spiked when the embattled billionaire took control of the site and has stayed at an elevated level ever since. The tweets mostly focus on conspiracy theories referencing Jewish figures controlling the world, Israel, and, of course, white supremacy, according to the study, one of the first to offer a comprehensive look at how and why antisemitism and hate are growing on the social media platform.

While Musk made several promises about reducing hate speech since taking over Twitter, it’s no secret that antisemites and racists have flourished on the platform under his control. He got rid of Twitter’s Trust and Safety Council, which advised the site on how to deal with hateful activity, and gutted the staff, which meant many of those previously responsible for moderation or safety were gone. Many high-profile neo-Nazis or conspiracists who spread hateful rhetoric were then allowed back on Twitter.
While Musk made claims that “freedom of speech does not mean freedom of reach” and promised that hateful tweets would be buried on the platform, the Institute for Strategic Dialogue found “no appreciable change in the average levels of engagement or interaction with antisemitic tweets before and after the takeover.”
Since Musk went on his QElon Tour he's proven to be quite the twirp. Perhaps he should change the name of Twitter to Twirp?

Uhhm...so you are saying he could have done that?
It’s part of the strategy...first the sport car...then the luxury car...the family car...the economy car. It all went to plan until he got to the family car (3&Y) and it became so popular that he had to build more giga factories to keep up with demand....but the economy car will come, as will the Cybertruck 😎...even revolutions require patience

You are in the wrong thread. This thread is the pinnacle of Elon haters, and the sensitive ones here won't take it well if you provide any counterpoint to their narrative.

He's the anti-Christ to those here. 😂
Please, there are enough blind fan boys in this thread who cheer his every mistake as well. It's obvious who thinks Twitter has improved and why and they aren't the "centrists" they claim to be.

LMAOOO. Sorry but I’m not a boomer who has time to check CNN, CNBC and wtf is WaPO 😂. Twitter has random outages, constant issues, I’ve used it during the entire checkmark fiasco idk if u rmr that and it’s so not worth using anymore. Reddit is much better than twitter so I disagree. If that’s what you believe so be it dude.

I could care less, honestly.

I have a job I LOVE. I can do it from anywhere in the world. I don't ever intend to retire, but I may cut back my hours.

The entire "promise" of someone else paying for my retirement never set right with me. Ever. But, I don't trust people, and I trust politicians even less.
Yeah and thats it. I have no need for Social Security, but I dont think just about me and mine. I dont want a society where people work until they drop dead as the norm for the working man. Not having Universal Healthcare, Social Security is just that. Make is so joe schmoe must be at mercy of getting health insurance from employers and make it so that the common working person works until the drop. This also drives down wages since the labor pool increases.

Yeah and thats it. I have no need for Social Security, but I dont think just about me and mine. I dont want a society where people work until they drop dead as the norm for the working man. Not having Universal Healthcare, Social Security is just that. Make is so joe schmoe must be at mercy of getting health insurance from employers and make it so that the common working person works until the drop. This also drives down wages since the labor pool increases.

You completely missed the point of my post. Completely.

My comment was regarding the fragility of the system that has been setup. I don't trust that it is robust (and I don't trust the gov that set it up).

Doesn't mean I don't have empathy for the working man, far from it (and why I pay my employees high wages and provide benefits that are top of their class).

Status
Not open for further replies.