Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. You do your own research.

You may be left leaning or right leaning, but make sure you find a few people in the middle and on the opposites side of aisle.

Most importantly if you are just following only Bernie, AoC, Robert Reich, Ilhan Omar that is fine, but pay attention to some of the replies to their tweet from high follower count individuals. It might open your eyes, that maybe maybe these guys are not telling the full truth or not giving you the background and context.

The problem is I think people use social media, internet are mostly looking for confirmation on what they already believe. It's pretty much impossible to change anyone's mind on any of the very divisive topics so instead of any media being unbiased this or that for research for people, it's more people following/supporting/watching whatever media they already align to confirm their thoughts are truth.

We're all a product of their environment, upbringing, beliefs, history. You see this with kids even. They tend to just spoutout/follow whatever their parents support. At least until college years probably. Same with social media. If you already align with those views, you watch/follow those channels and state everything else is fake.

Everyone here, mass media, any Twitter expert, etc tend to be biased and usually has an agenda to push for whatever reason. Look at all the Fox news folks who are getting caught with their pants down now? They made more $$ and had to align and push this rhetoric. Same with all the Twitter folks you follow as they might make their LIVING/$$ from you following them. A lot of us here maybe less biased since we don't make $$ from Twitter. I don't even own an account and am too poor to trade individual stocks.

Lastly, high follower count doesn't make it right, right? If that's the case, everything Elon says or Trump says is truth then. Like the Twitter employee with the disability Elon said was lying? That's all fake because Elon said it was fake? And he had to back track to avoid getting sued probably. Apology looked more like a CMA to not payout terms.

All this back and forth is just noise and we're all still waiting for late 2023 or 2024 to see how Twitter ends up (or even Tesla sales/numbers).

I do wonder why you won't share the sources you follow. Seems like you could put this discussion to bed rapidly by pointing out the experts you follow - it's strange to say that there are great sources but then be unwilling to say who they are, it just adds to suspicion instead of quashing the conversation and allowing this thread to move on.

Exactly. Guy comes here claiming his sources are unbiased truth and the greatest news outlets in existance, but won't share/disclose them, then takes his ball and goes home in upsetness.

I am willing to bet they are all aligned one way for confirmation bias.

Reactions: JRP3 and DrGriz
Exactly. Guy comes here claiming his sources are unbiased truth and the greatest news outlets in existance, but won't share/disclose them, then takes his ball and goes home in upsetness.

I am willing to bet they are all aligned one way for confirmation bias.
Of course they are. Basically the thread has been derailed by this, it has added zero to any of us already knew about the world.... Well, I take that back. I learned that “unsubscribed” doesn’t mean unsubscribed.

Need to move back OT when and if there’s useful material OT to post rather than this standard internet tribal hogwash..

Agreed. Pity the people who are fed by CNBC, WSJ, WaPo, LAT, BI, Bloomberg and such..

Well I don't know what twitter sources you have, but the anti-federal-government, anti-MSM conspiracy-theory-like realm, while selling itself as truth-revealing, is actually (in general in my experience) not only 10x as biased, but also science and evidence ignoring (see election lies). MSM went a bit into opposition, and lost a bit of nuance, somewhat understandably. I was never a huge MSM fan, but with the misinformation campaigns we had in recent years, I've grown super glad that we still have it. Without MSM, we'd be steering into a catastrophe (in addition to climate change, that is).

The best that social media can provide is push you to search for evidence of something happening, or something being real. For instance got home yesterday and flipped over to YouTube and a video was pushed to me that actor Ted Danson died. The video was 3 weeks old. I was like WTF did I miss that. So went and looked for evidence that it was true before I mentioned it to anyone else. The video was BS so I didnt mention to anyone else in my family that were fans of his from Cheers and The Good Place.

Reason #346 on why I hate lying fraud woke media and love Twitter.

1679952230631.png

Last edited:
Here are two other items that I happen to stumble on just in the last hour. Not that these topics below are of a lot of importance, but just goes on to show how fast and loose the media and the politicians are, because they essentially go unchallenged with their lies and gaslighting until Twitter came along.

1679956797730.png

Ro Khanna poked his nose on a decision by the courts of another country, which to start with he has no business to do so, but then was rightly put in place when he lied about the "sacrifices" of his grandfather. Google what "Emergency" here means for you to understand the hypocrisy of Khanna's reference to his grandfather.

Once again Twitter to the rescue. This time it was not the media, but a lying politician.

Just for the record - I agree with Khanna's position on this. But making a public statement with lies is foolish. He is one of those few Dem politicians I agree with more than others.

1679957106118.png

Attachments

• 1679957708192.png
    1679957708192.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Here is another one that I happen to stumble on. Not that this topic below is of a lot of importance, but just goes on to show how fast and loose the media is, because they essentially go unchallenged with their lies and gaslighting until Twitter came along.

Just for the record - I agree with Khanna's position on this. But making a public statement with lies is foolish.

View attachment 921960

Ro Khanna poked his nose on a decision by the courts of another country, which to start with he has no business to do so, but then was rightly put in place when he lied about the "sacrifices" of his grandfather. Google what "Emergency" here means for you to understand the hypocrisy of Khanna's reference to his grandfather.

Once again Twitter to the rescue. This time it was not the media, but a lying politician.
View attachment 921965
According to ChatGpt:

What is the origin of chicken Manchurian?

Chicken Manchurian is a popular Indo-Chinese dish that is believed to have originated in the Chinese community living in Kolkata (formerly known as Calcutta), India. It is a fusion dish that combines Chinese cooking techniques and Indian spices and flavors.

The dish is named after the Manchuria region in Northeast China, which was once a part of the Qing dynasty. However, the dish itself is not considered to be a traditional Chinese dish, but rather an adaptation of Chinese cuisine to suit Indian tastes.

It is said that in the 1970s, a small restaurant in Kolkata named "Eau Chew" introduced the dish as a way to cater to the Indian palate. The dish gained popularity in the city and soon spread to other parts of India, becoming a staple in Indo-Chinese cuisine.

Today, Chicken Manchurian is a beloved dish in India and is also popular in other parts of the world, including Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Reactions: Electroman
According to ChatGpt:

What is the origin of chicken Manchurian?

Chicken Manchurian is a popular Indo-Chinese dish that is believed to have originated in the Chinese community living in Kolkata (formerly known as Calcutta), India. It is a fusion dish that combines Chinese cooking techniques and Indian spices and flavors.

The dish is named after the Manchuria region in Northeast China, which was once a part of the Qing dynasty. However, the dish itself is not considered to be a traditional Chinese dish, but rather an adaptation of Chinese cuisine to suit Indian tastes.

It is said that in the 1970s, a small restaurant in Kolkata named "Eau Chew" introduced the dish as a way to cater to the Indian palate. The dish gained popularity in the city and soon spread to other parts of India, becoming a staple in Indo-Chinese cuisine.

Today, Chicken Manchurian is a beloved dish in India and is also popular in other parts of the world, including Pakistan and Bangladesh.

This is such an easily verifiable thing, yet NYT chose to publish it. In the pre-Twitter days this would have gone completely unchallenged. This is probably a trivial oversight, but then again how much are they gaslighting like this on other issues that are not generally easily verifiable and are not black and white ?

This is such an easily verifiable thing, yet NYT chose to publish it. In the pre-Twitter days this would have gone completely unchallenged. This is probably a trivial oversight, but then again how much are they gaslighting like this on other issues that are not generally easily verifiable and are not black and white ?
On further review, why rely on either the NYT or Twitter when I can just ask ChatGpt? 🤔

Reactions: Norbert
Reason #346 on why I hate woke media and love Twitter.

View attachment 921942
Got
Go ahead, be brave and click on that link and get enlightened.

Having been exposed, they posted a correction:

Let me translate this to regular language: "Having found an error in a tweet written on the fly they rapidly corrected it.'
But yeah, this and that woke-ass Chinese recipe story would have brought the Republic to its knees without the avenging fury of Twitter intervening.

A Chinese food piece done by recent grads or whatever is not going to get the same scrutiny by the chiefs as, say, a story on a major political speech, before it goes out. But that’s a rational view of media, so it’s not going to fly with anyone who thinks Twitter is a reasonable major source of information.

Reactions: DrGriz
The "Elon's reputation has no effect on Tesla's sales" needs to also show some evidence they might be right. Saying that sales are at record levels does not prove anything. Correlation != causation. BTW - 22Q4 also had significant price cuts, too to move metal.
Correlation is a necessary but not sufficient condition to claim a causal relationship between two variables. This means the absence of correlation is a good sign of the absence of any relationship at all, either direct or indirect. Most variables don’t have any relationship with each other so by default the null hypothesis (no relationship) is more likely in the absence of clear evidence otherwise.

Just because sales are good, does not mean that they would not be better if Elon didn't constantly act like an idiot.
While it is hard to make a counter factual statement about where demand would be if Elon stopped this stuff or never started it at all, the next best test is to look for differences between subsets of the whole. If it were true that Elon+Twitter were substantially hurting demand, then we would at least tend to see a difference between areas of the world where people are likely to care about his participation in American/Californian/San Franciscan politics and areas not likely to care. As it turns out, we do not see meaningful differences since October in the publicly available data thus far. Furthermore the CEO of Tesla himself said in direct response to this very question asked by a TSLA shareholder, “If you look at sort of automotive demand almost anywhere in the world, it’s problematic almost anywhere in the world, and not everywhere cares about my political comments. So I think this is of really minor, minor impact…I really just don’t think this is a significant factor.” The conversation between him and investors then continued to cover the fact that rising interest rates and resulting higher auto loan costs have been increasing the effective cost of buying the cars and that this was the main challenge of late.

So one of the following is true:

1) What he said was accurate​
2) He was lying to investors, in breach of his fiduciary duty as CEO and risking civil or potentially criminal prosecution for fraud​
3) He somehow genuinely had a misunderstanding about this topic despite having access to all the relevant information and presumably analysts working for him monitoring all these factors—before the decision just a couple weeks later to majorly adjust prices worldwide​
I’m inclined to believe #1 is most likely by far.

If Twitter shenanigans were substantially hurting demand, we also would tend to observe a shifting pattern of who is buying Tesla vehicles within the areas where people might have stronger feelings about his political activity. Specifically we would expect to see a shift in US market in the demand balance away from liberals and towards conservatives buying Teslas, and especially in California which is where Twitter is located, which has often been the specific recipient of Elon’s political attacks, which has the nation’s largest selection of alternative EV options, and which contains two of the most liberal regions of the entire nation. The available data indicates that this too is not happening.

The surveys of Elon's favorability and many, many anecdotes of people opting for other EVs would indicate he for sure has had a negative impact.
Surveys are one of the lowest-quality sources of information about human behavior. They’re not even all that useful for predicting election results.

Anecdotes on an Internet forum are an even worse tier of data. Pretty much every popular consumer product in the world has people complaining online. Negative comments and complaints are usually more common in general than positive or neutral ones.

Last edited:
That's obviously upside down. There is a study that found 16% or so of the american population aren't sure that Earth is round. The flat-earth theory is not coming from "the media", it's coming from the middle ages and survived in the conspiracy-theory realm, in spite of "the media".

Just stating the obvious and setting the record straight.
Just stating the non-obvious and setting the record straight: the Earth actually is flat.

(If you’re moving towards it near the speed of light)

Last edited:
Got

Let me translate this to regular language: "Having found an error in a tweet written on the fly they rapidly corrected it.'
But yeah, this and that woke-ass Chinese recipe story would have brought the Republic to its knees without the avenging fury of Twitter intervening.

A Chinese food piece done by recent grads or whatever is not going to get the same scrutiny by the chiefs as, say, a story on a major political speech, before it goes out. But that’s a rational view of media, so it’s not going to fly with anyone who thinks Twitter is a reasonable major source of information.

That correction by NPR happened only after they were exposed. They were forced to correct by "Twitter Community".

What about the gaslighting by Ro Khanna ? Did you miss that ? Or it didn't suit your view of the world, maybe?

You are missing the point. Media and personalities routinely lie, obfuscate and push an agenda. Twitter is the only medium out there that can set these legacy institutions right, by giving power to ordinary citizens. Sure there is a lot of noise, but it is not that difficult to sift signal from noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.