Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a truly excellent piece today in the NYTimes about Tucker Carlson. This, apparently, is what Elon has been drawn into.

BTW, for the record, I have a lot of criticism myself about the NYTimes and NPR. Some of their reporting is excellent, some very biased. I'm an old-school liberal and find the constant harping on about identity politics akin to nails on a chalkboard. I do not like their incessant bashing of white men, among other things. Just saying that for the record, for the gang who after years of me fighting anti-Elon FUD has labelled me, along with all critics of his recent behavior, as 'haters'. Because, black and white is the only way to think about things, apparently. No nuance, no complexity, no consideration of the way things and people affect each other. No, we must all be propagandists with a megaphone, adhering to ONE side out of two. I'm not like that, have never been and never will be.

Anyway, here's the link.

Last edited:
And if he did in fact say that, then he's not abiding by free speech within the bounds of local laws.

It's not as black and white as you make it out to be on tracking Elon's Jet. There is not one site where this is published (contrary to popular opinion). The data has to be aggregated and the jet initially identified.

There is a very good, objective, article on it here:

These two sentences pretty much sum it up:
"But other flight-tracking websites, like FightRadar.com and FlightAware.com, do actively suppress flight information about planes whose operators have asked the FAA to block their registration numbers from public view.

However, because ADSBExchange.com doesn't rely on FAA feeds but instead on individual site users, it isn't bound by that program."

ADSBExchange.com - this is a user forum, not a gov public data dump.

So, despite the narrative wanting to be pushed, this isn't "free publicly available data". Someone had to go digging to get it and to publish it.

It is the above facts that have probably prevented someone from backing Mr. Sweeney in a lawsuit targeting Elon. Because lets face it, Elon is a juicy ($$$) target.

It's not as black and white as you make it out to be on tracking Elon's Jet. There is not one site where this is published (contrary to popular opinion). The data has to be aggregated and the jet initially identified.

There is a very good, objective, article on it here:

These two sentences pretty much sum it up:
"But other flight-tracking websites, like FightRadar.com and FlightAware.com, do actively suppress flight information about planes whose operators have asked the FAA to block their registration numbers from public view.

However, because ADSBExchange.com doesn't rely on FAA feeds but instead on individual site users, it isn't bound by that program."

ADSBExchange.com - this is a user forum, not a gov public data dump.

So, despite the narrative wanting to be pushed, this isn't "free publicly available data". Someone had to go digging to get it and to publish it.

It is the above facts that have probably prevented someone from backing Mr. Sweeney in a lawsuit targeting Elon. Because lets face it, Elon is a juicy ($$$) target.
The law is pretty clear: it's not illegal. The FAA does contractually bind sites that take data from the FAA SWIM feeds to filter planes that have the LADD flag set from public view. But as sites like ADSBx and TheAirTraffic do not take data from the FAA SWIM feed, they are not bound by those rules.

Likewise, the DMV could contractually bind anyone who takes license plate data from one of its sources from making data on where these vehicles are registered public but if I want to put an ALPR camera on the side of my house, record all cars that pass by, and publish the plate of every car that passes by along with the time of day and date on the internet, that is 100% legal.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow and mtndrew1
The law is pretty clear: it's not illegal. The FAA does contractually bind sites that take data from the FAA SWIM feeds to filter planes that have the LADD flag set from public view. But as sites like ADSBx and TheAirTraffic do not take data from the FAA SWIM feed, they are not bound by those rules.

Likewise, the DMV could contractually bind anyone who takes license plate data from one of its sources from making data on where these vehicles are registered public but if I want to put an ALPR camera on the side of my house, record all cars that pass by, and publish the plate of every car that passes by along with the time of day and date on the internet, that is 100% legal.

You left out the most critical portion of the analogy - you going and doing PI work to associate those random license plate numbers with names (i.e. Personally Identifiable Information).

Why would it be legal, if say someone had intentionally requested their PII to be scrubbed by ADSBx, for someone to go publish it?

It's essentially doxxing. Doxxing does fall under several federal laws (as illegal).

"18 U.S. Code § 2261A makes it illegal for an individual to use an “interactive computer service or electronic communication service” to harass, intimidate, or surveil another person and cause them to suffer emotional distress or fear for their safety."

Is it enforced? Variably for sure.

You left out the most critical portion of the analogy - you going and doing PI work to associate those random license plate numbers with names (i.e. Personally Identifiable Information).

Why would it be legal, if say someone had intentionally requested their PII to be scrubbed by ADSBx, for someone to go publish it?

It's essentially doxxing. Doxxing does fall under several federal laws (as illegal).

"18 U.S. Code § 2261A makes it illegal for an individual to use an “interactive computer service or electronic communication service” to harass, intimidate, or surveil another person and cause them to suffer emotional distress or fear for their safety."

Is it enforced? Variably for sure.
So here is a good one. The statute which you can click on, actually says the actionable offense is to take actions:

"....with the intent to kill, injure, harass, intimidate, or place under surveillance with intent to kill, injure, harass, or intimidate another person..."

Look, that is quite different, than "harass, intimidate, or surveil." Your quote (and it may be from the article, not you) implies that merely to "surveil" which Elon Jet would clearly be surveilance, would be a slam dunk violation, when in fact, it would take quite a bit of additional evidence to show that Elon Jet guy intended to "kill, injure, harass, intimidate" Elon.

Since its not Elon, and just his jet, and since his jet could be flying around without him or his family members in it, its not only not a slam dunk, but barely a case at all.

So its not "essentially doxing" - you can also see the federal doxing definition.

But my point is not to get in the weeds on Elon Jet, I really don't care, personally, but what this illustrates is that articles can be written with an intent to be accurate and still not be accurate.

True accuracy is hard. You just can't assume when something is inaccurate it is because of some form of bias.

Why did this law firm write a marketing piece which is not all there? Its just a marketing piece, that's why. They are certainly not trying to be inaccurate, or advocate any political view, they were trying to show they knew about these federal statutes, and they did.

I think like celebrities, it unfortunately comes with the territory when you are an exec (or rich person) that people may have more of an interest in tracking or knowing of your whereabouts. Doesn't help when one is Musk with a lot of say and a lot of hate to spread.

Even Tim Cook was stalked/threatened/harassed by a lady and he's gay:

Nobody bothers nobodies/poor people who no one cares about and less people track folks who aren't looking for the spotlight or don't mouth off about everything/anything.

It sorta comes with the territory though. Like someone being convicted and tried in court now, I think a lot of that wouldn't have happened if there was less shadiness overall (to even have a case) and if he didn't rub people the wrong way.

A lot of it was brought on by themselves.

• Helpful
Reactions: bkp_duke
What is the objective behind tracking Elon's plane and publishing it in real time in a way that is instantly available to millions around the world? Who benefits out of it?
I wouldnt' waste any time doing it, and even after I found out it existed, have never even bothered looking for it.

But Elon's a celebrity, why do paparrazzi exist? Its because the general public loves to know what celebs are up to. If my insta feed is anything to go by, somebody makes it their job to post drone pics of alleged celeb houses, and without much work you could easily get the address.

And its not as if Elon doesn't work hard at being a celebrity, I've never seen George Soros host SNL. And Elon loves having 70 million twitter follows.

Elon is wealthy enough to buy a second jet just to throw the guy off. Or he could do Net jets.

The guys alleged motivations are probably on the net somewhere. I don't know that its particularly deep. I seem to recall that Elon even offered the guy $50k or something, and the guy didn't take it. Maybe I am remembering that wrong. But plenty of these hacker type guys love to write programs just to prove they can do it.

Elon Jet guy is probably proud of the coding.

Anyway, is there a "Buffett Jet?" or a "Ratcliff Jet?" All these oligarches and billionaires with yachts, well, for the most part everyone knows where they yachts are. Anyone's best defense against stalking is simple, ----- dont' become a celebrity.

Last edited:
Reactions: sunwarriors
What is the objective behind tracking Elon's plane and publishing it in real time in a way that is instantly available to millions around the world? Who benefits out of it?

Folks right here on this board used to cite it all the time as evidence of whatever 4D chess thing they thought Elon was secretly up to based on where he was travelling.

But as noted, it's free, public, and legal information--- so in a free country where someone believes in free speech, you don't need a "reason" to publish it anyway.

To be aware of how much Musk and other wealthy indviduals are polluting the skies by flying needlessly, frequently, and hypocritically to while spouting "save the world by driving green" rhetoric.

Folks right here on this board used to cite it all the time as evidence of whatever 4D chess thing they thought Elon was secretly up to based on where he was travelling.

But as noted, it's free, public, and legal information--- so in a free country where someone believes in free speech, you don't need a "reason" to publish it anyway.
I don't think Musk knows what "absolutism" means.

Reactions: DrGriz
The guys alleged motivations are probably on the net somewhere. I don't know that its particularly deep. I seem to recall that Elon even offered the guy $50k or something, and the guy didn't take it. Maybe I am remembering that wrong. But plenty of these hacker type guys love to write programs just to prove they can do it.
I believe Musk offered $5,000 and the person countered with $50,000 or a Tesla vehicle. So Musk spent $44 billion, instead.

People who are curious where certain celebrities might be (gossip) or if celebrities are still using their planes or have stopped using them (the environment angle). In the end, the reason is irrelevant, it's publicly available information.

Elon was not the only one that got a jet tracker, but he was the one that got all in arms, and flip flopped on allowing it to still exist on Twitter. In the end, he came up with some excuse about a "stalker" to disable it. It was discussed up thread. Not only was the jet tracker irrelevant to the supposed incident, Elon's team declined to file a police report on it.

Instead the "stalker" was the one who filed the police report against Elon's security team, citing they hit his vehicle, making him the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.