Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to zoom out a little to see the bigger picture. The Twitter acquisition is but a small part of a much larger goal for Elon.

Besides, it is his wealth to do with as he pleases, but any equity partner who backs out will likely find three more fighting to take their place. The potential for what he has in mind is likely bigger than any company he has started so far.
whether one buys into musk's larger vision for Twitter and X or not, it doesn't matter for a retail investor's point of view. Twitter will be private if and when the deal closes. retail investors have exposure to $TSLA, not Twitter. If there comes a day when he makes X public, much of the gains will already have accrued.

I do agree that equity partners in this deal need to look at the long term and value their association with Musk, but will see how strong that feeling is when buying into an investment that looks like a 50% mark to market loss on day one (probably what TWTR would sell for but not for this pending acquisition).

Yeah, it's his right to do what he pleases with his money. Doesn't mean that it isn't a negative for $TSLA shareholders.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and _Redshift_
So, after six months of brainless brawling bedlam, it looks like Twitter now goes to Elon.

But should this critical social platform go to someone with the attention span of a fruit fly and the impetuousness of Donald Trump, just because he’s finally now willing to pay what he bid for it?

That depends on whether buying Twitter just a simple market transaction, like buying soap. Or has Twitter come to have a set of social roles and purposes that make it more like a public space such as Times Square, or a public utility — where the question of who owns it looms large?

I no longer have any idea what Elon wants to do with Twitter. He has talked loosely about “free speech” but, of course, the First Amendment applies to government — not to a billionaire’s folly. He’s said Donald Trump should be allowed back on, but exactly why? So Trump can have a more efficient means for continuing his attempted coup?

You have completely missed the point of the purchase. Elon wanted Twitter's established user base to launch X.com.

In the process of the evolution into X.com all the things mentioned will be addressed, but, are so insignificant to the overall scope as to be nearly meaningless in any evaluation of the purchase.

But should this critical social platform

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Even if we believe the mDAU number, it means barely more than 3% of the worlds population uses it.

go to someone with the attention span of a fruit fly and the impetuousness of Donald Trump, just because he’s finally now willing to pay what he bid for it?

I mean- that's literally how public companies work. If someone is willing to pay the price the shareholders agree to sell for- they can.

Or has Twitter come to have a set of social roles and purposes that make it more like a public space such as Times Square, or a public utility — where the question of who owns it looms large?

No it has not- not even hilariously remotely.

Reactions: bkp_duke
FWIW - I and many others who have invested in start ups and other off market private companies have reached out to try and get in on the TWTR deal with Elon...
This is by far way over funded in the P.E. market, all offerings are ready for him to accept if other equity partners even blink.

So, with my limited reach and others I have talked to it is IMO well funded if Elon wants it to be and not just done on his own.

That doesn't mean, he won't just say screw it and use only his own money and leverage but it is a possibility.

Query:
As regards Elon's hypothetical funding shortfall, everyone seems to only use this year's sales as funding sources.
Has anyone tracked the proceeds from his 2021 tax inducement sale? I'm wondering if he still has cash from that or if it was all used to purchase the inital TWTR position.

It's good to know Elon is now taking COVID seriously.

1664983867709.png

Through the entire on-again-off-again melodrama, Elon has behaved like a one-man version of the Three Stooges. After expressing interest in a seat on the board, he rejected it. “I’m not joining the board. This is a waste of time.” Then he said he’d “make an offer to take Twitter private” because “fake users will make the numbers look so terrible” that it should be a private company. Then he made a bid, but didn’t even begin due diligence until a month after announcing it. Then he got cold feet because he feared fake users made the numbers look too good. Then he said he didn’t care about the economics of the deal. And then had “no plan” for how to finance or manage it. And then he tried to back out. And was sued. And now.....................

It's good to know Elon is now taking COVID seriously.

View attachment 860237
It is just amazing how fast a learner he is and how he is not bound to any particular dogma. So agile and versatile. Must be what help make him such a good engineer and so successful.

Surprised he doesn’t know that N95 masks are impenetrable (when worn) though. Seems like straightforward engineering. Maybe he doesn’t have any?

You have completely missed the point of the purchase. Elon wanted Twitter's established user base to launch X.com.

In the process of the evolution into X.com all the things mentioned will be addressed, but, are so insignificant to the overall scope as to be nearly meaningless in any evaluation of the purchase.

Being hopeful and optimistic is okay, but not while ignoring stark reality. The only way to realize Elon’s dream about being a free speech absolutist is to let anyone and everyone in on Twitter. Like 4Chan.

If you can’t see why that’s a downside and a danger to society, you’ve taken a very shallow read of the situation. This thread has hashed and rehashed this very point 100s of times in previous posts.

On top of that, private or not, Twitter will have to turn big profits to be worth its purchase price. Why that’s very difficult to achieve, has also been debated 100s of times already, in this thread.

Seeing things only from Elon’s big plan perspective, as if that’s a panacea for all problems does not explain how it’s a panacea.

Reactions: JRP3 and advocate8
Being hopeful and optimistic is okay, but not while ignoring stark reality. The only way to realize Elon’s dream about being a free speech absolutist is to let anyone and everyone in on Twitter. Like 4Chan.

If you can’t see why that’s a downside and a danger to society, you’ve taken a very shallow read of the situation. This thread has hashed and rehashed this very point 100s of times in previous posts.

On top of that, private or not, Twitter will have to turn big profits to be worth its purchase price. Why that’s very difficult to achieve, has also been debated 100s of times already, in this thread.

Seeing things only from Elon’s big plan perspective, as if that’s a panacea for all problems does not explain how it’s a panacea.

That is not his dream. X.com is. Though he is a proponent for protecting free speech within the bounds of the law. This would be better than how Twitter has done things up to now.

You really don't have any idea about his decades-old plan for X.com, do you? Twitter, as it is today, is completely inconsequential. It is a stepping stone of existing users that will cut years off the execution of a bigger plan.

Despite this, what functional and security improvements he makes to Twitter are bound to be worlds better than what it is now. If the current Twitter functions are all you are concerned about this should ease your mind on the matter.

Regardless of any emotion folks are experiencing over this acquisition it is likely more complex of an undertaking than you seem see it as.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: JRP3 and bkp_duke
The reach of Twitter is extraordinary...well beyond its user numbers..I have never signed up for Twitter but not only am I inundated with Tweets from forums like this...but also the mainstream media use Twitter as it’s primary source on many issues from politics to finance to sport to entertainment to...
That's certainly the reach of Twitter content, but those embedded tweets and so called "news" articles that just quote people bloviating on Twitter still do not allow Twitter to capture any advertising (or subscription) revenue, especially from users like you who don't even have an account. Seems to me that Twitter gets publicized as a platform widely, yet still maintains a relatively small user base.

That's certainly the reach of Twitter content, but those embedded tweets and so called "news" articles that just quote people bloviating on Twitter still do not allow Twitter to capture any advertising (or subscription) revenue, especially from users like you who don't even have an account. Seems to me that Twitter gets publicized as a platform widely, yet still maintains a relatively small user base.
Elon is good at monetizing a project...even when it’s not his objective

Since MSM is unreliable and anti Tesla I find Twitter has been better. This is bad for MSM so the FUD is important to them to keep traffic so the click bait gets even more crazy

Paradigm paralysis

Status
Not open for further replies.