Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just put this here for the usual suspects, expanding upon the above.

Last post, my "memo", was moderated for snippiness, which I whole-heartedly admit to. 😏

Quoting this in the correct thread for it

Ha! Here's the letter Musks folks sent to twitter.

Their ONLY condition on closing the deal as originally agreed was the chancery court stopping trial proceedings pending closure of deal.

Sounds like something in either Elons pending deposition and/or the additional just granted discovery around that May 6 email really made them interested in paying full price all of a sudden.
and pending receipt of debt financing

and pending receipt of debt financing

That's actually an interesting point--because the original agreement has him on the hook for $ personally even if that falls through... so I suppose the ELON IS PLAYING 4D CHESS FOLKS could claim this is just a way for him to delay the trial another month or more by now conditioning it on the debt financing, and when that "mysteriously falls through" we'll be back in court again but at a later date than twitter wanted.

It makes little sense, since the judge is likely to be even LESS friendly to his case at that point (in one famous case the chancery court granted specific performance DESPITE the debt financing falling through because it was obvious the buyer was making that happen), but just watch if someone says it's all strategery!

• Informative
Reactions: CLK350
That's actually an interesting point--because the original agreement has him on the hook for $ personally even if that falls through... so I suppose the ELON IS PLAYING 4D CHESS FOLKS could claim this is just a way for him to delay the trial another month or more by now conditioning it on the debt financing, and when that "mysteriously falls through" we'll be back in court again but at a later date than twitter wanted.

It makes little sense, since the judge is likely to be even LESS friendly to his case at that point (in one famous case the chancery court granted specific performance DESPITE the debt financing falling through because it was obvious the buyer was making that happen), but just watch if someone says it's all strategery!
i’m not in the 4d chess camp

i’m in the hardcore litigators can’t make up for hardcore boneheaded dealmaking

but just wanted to point out that little snippet. and will be glad when this bs is over

i have no doubt he has good ideas to turn twitter successful, but this all could’ve been avoided.

A later date....and perhaps a different judge

It sounds like Elon has a glorious future in store for all of us.

He just wants to expand it, and in particular payments. I think he was always disappointed in how eBay handled PayPal. He felt it should have taken over the world of payments..

He's a Twitter user, and the other major messaging apps used in the USA weren't available, so that's the one he wanted to buy, and the rest is horrible history.

He just wants to expand it, and in particular payments. I think he was always disappointed in how eBay handled PayPal. He felt it should have taken over the world of payments..

He's a Twitter user, and the other major messaging apps used in the USA weren't available, so that's the one he wanted to buy, and the rest is horrible history.

We are in the first chapter of this Twitter story, so time will tell whether or not it will be a horror tale. Many stories start rough and end very nicely.

To me this doesn't seem the sort of tale that should be discarded out of hand after a page or two. The author has a good reputation for crafting compelling works of overcoming great odds with heroic effort, does he not?

The Space launch sector has been disrupted by SpaceX.

The Transportation sector is being disrupted globally by Tesla.

The Energy sector is being disrupted by Solar Roof and Battery Storage.

The A.I. sector is being defined by FSD, Autonomy, and DOJO.

The Labor sector is on the verge of disruption by the Tesla Bot.

Tunneling is being disrupted by Boring Company.

Who's to say the Financial sector won't be disrupted on as large a scale by what he does with X via the Twitter acquisition?

Last edited:

I take what he says about intent at face value. Seems to be an ok predictor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2daMoon
After finishing a long career in IT while managing to avoid participation in any of the common social media channels, due mostly to concerns about privacy, data gathering, security, and the fact that the "user" is the product being marketed by them, I'm intrigued with the potential for Elon's X.com.

Such a platform, created by someone who has championed the ethical use of technology and has shown sincere concern for people's privacy, security, and the future of mankind show promise of becoming everything the others have pretended to be while selling out their users for cash from advertisers and marketing data crunchers.

It is inspiring to live in the "Age of Elon" and watch as his vision is applied to the betterment of humankind.

Plus, making a few bucks by investing in parts of the process is just gravy. :cool:

A later date....and perhaps a different judge

Naah, existing judge and existing trial would likely be suspended until sale closes (and likely she'd put a specific date by which they had to do that) and dismissed if it closes and resumed if not. Given the last bunch of testimony we had was about Elons team destroyed or hiding evidence she's not going to just dismiss the whole thing on his word.

Matt Levine went over this - and the finance bit- in his newsletter this morning.... the tl;dr on the $ is:

Elon is personally obligated to provide 33.5 billion. He's welcome to have his rich friends buy some of that from him, but if they don't he remains on the hook for the full amount personally.

MS and other bankers are obligated to provide 13 billion. They're ALSO welcome to syndicate out that debt, but the merger specifically cites they're STILL on the hook for providing the full amount either way.

So doesn't seem much of an out in either place.

This seems bad for $TSLA. If other equity partners back out (and why wouldn't they since Elon has heavily criticized the company), Elon would be on the hook for a lot of $. That means selling $TSLA shares. Best possible scenario for $TSLA is for debt financing to fall through (under what pretext that could happen without being challenged....not sure).

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This seems bad for $TSLA. If other equity partners back out (and why wouldn't they since Elon has heavily criticized the company), Elon would be on the hook for a lot of $. That means selling $TSLA shares. Best possible scenario for $TSLA is for debt financing to fall through (under what pretext that could happen without being challenged....not sure).

You need to zoom out a little to see the bigger picture. The Twitter acquisition is but a small part of a much larger goal for Elon.

Besides, it is his wealth to do with as he pleases. Any equity partner who backs out will likely find three more fighting to take their place. The potential for what he has in mind is likely bigger than any company he has started so far.

Last edited:
So, after six months of brainless brawling bedlam, it looks like Twitter now goes to Elon.

But should this critical social platform go to someone with the attention span of a fruit fly and the impetuousness of Donald Trump, just because he’s finally now willing to pay what he bid for it?

That depends on whether buying Twitter just a simple market transaction, like buying soap. Or has Twitter come to have a set of social roles and purposes that make it more like a public space such as Times Square, or a public utility — where the question of who owns it looms large?

I no longer have any idea what Elon wants to do with Twitter. He has talked loosely about “free speech” but, of course, the First Amendment applies to government — not to a billionaire’s folly. He’s said Donald Trump should be allowed back on, but exactly why? So Trump can have a more efficient means for continuing his attempted coup?

Status
Not open for further replies.