Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that advertisers have an enormous number of options on where to spend their money and get their message out.... why would you NOT pause the sliver you normally show on twitter till the on-purpose dumptser fire at least is of known scope and size?
I think thats the big difference between Tesla/SpaceX and Twitter.

Tesla/SpaceX are pioneers with little real competition. So, all that mattered was execution.

Twitter is very different. Just one of a million ways advertisers can spend money on.

I think thats the big difference between Tesla/SpaceX and Twitter.

Tesla/SpaceX are pioneers with little real competition. So, all that mattered was execution.

Twitter is very different. Just one of a million ways advertisers can spend money on.

Some of you are still living in 2020 if you think Tesla has no real competition. Tesla needs to get back on track and start redesigning their bread and butter, farts sounds ain’t going to cut it anymore.

Reactions: DeepFrz
Some of you are still living in 2020 if you think Tesla has no real competition. Tesla needs to get back on track and start redesigning their bread and butter, farts sounds ain’t going to cut it anymore.

I think Teslas investments in manufacturing and supply chain will carry them some distance as the competition is forced to raise prices while Tesla is comfortably profitable (like 8x what Toyota makes per car) and can easily adjust their price/demand curve as needed.

That said, genuine damage is being done to the brand by all this Twitter and political BS. Needless damage that was trivial to see coming and could have been avoided by doing most of the same work at Twitter but without the rants and the pointless cruelty. A single PR person could have calmly explained there would be a major re-org, folks would be let go, everyone would get a package of 90 days pay and be notified in an orderly manner by their superiors (vs just severing their access in the middle of the night with no warning or info). Hate tweets at skittish advertisers could have simply been skipped. Acknowledgement that the initial dream of free-speech-absolutism was never going to happen could have been openly made (or the thing could have never been brought up since it was stupid from the moment it was said).

Tesla will be ok, but yeah, the damage is real - and the stock price reflects it.

That statement is screaming "spin". As best I parse it, despite the acknowledged massive drop in TOTAL advertising spend on Twitter, they found a tiny undefined slice of the pie around "most innovative startups" which showed a net-increase so they're claiming it as meaningful. For all we know Elon had the Boring company buy some ads, or maybe the MyPillow guy did a buy with his new lumpier futon offering.

That statement is screaming "spin". As best I parse it, despite the acknowledged massive drop in TOTAL advertising spend on Twitter, they found a tiny undefined slice of the pie around "most innovative startups" which showed a net-increase so they're claiming it as meaningful. For all we know Elon had the Boring company buy some ads, or maybe the MyPillow guy did a buy with his new lumpier futon offering.

It appears to be a quiet ad for Ramp. Eric Glyman is a cofounder of the company.

I think Teslas investments in manufacturing and supply chain will carry them some distance as the competition is forced to raise prices while Tesla is comfortably profitable (like 8x what Toyota makes per car) and can easily adjust their price/demand curve as needed.

That said, genuine damage is being done to the brand by all this Twitter and political BS. Needless damage that was trivial to see coming and could have been avoided by doing most of the same work at Twitter but without the rants and the pointless cruelty. A single PR person could have calmly explained there would be a major re-org, folks would be let go, everyone would get a package of 90 days pay and be notified in an orderly manner by their superiors (vs just severing their access in the middle of the night with no warning or info). Hate tweets at skittish advertisers could have simply been skipped. Acknowledgement that the initial dream of free-speech-absolutism was never going to happen could have been openly made (or the thing could have never been brought up since it was stupid from the moment it was said).

Tesla will be ok, but yeah, the damage is real - and the stock price reflects it.

Your first sentence, you know that is not true? Tesla does not include their R&D costs when calculating the margin, while everybody else does. If they would have included it, they would be in the middle of the pack. Maybe a little higher this year.
Anyway, a bigger margin is as much about price increases as about the cost price. (And no one has raised prices as much as Tesla last year or two.)

Your first sentence, you know that is not true? Tesla does not include their R&D costs when calculating the margin, while everybody else does. If they would have included it, they would be in the middle of the pack. Maybe a little higher this year.
Anyway, a bigger margin is as much about price increases as about the cost price. (And no one has raised prices as much as Tesla last year or two.)
Toyota operating margin: 7.54%
Toyota gross margin: 15.44%

Tesla operating margin: 14.95%
Telsa auto GM with all R&D expenses included: 24%

I might want to see those number on a per-car basis, but even if we accept your operating-margin at face value, Tesla has a large advantage, right?
I'm in your corner. 😀
My data was supporting Tesla's flexibility.
Total R&D is wrong anyway since it is for future products in multiple areas besides vehicles and would require back assigning future FSD revenue.
Ignoring that, at 733M a quarter and 1.2 million cars that's only 2.4k per car, if ASP is 50k, a 5% margin hit dropping them to 23% or so. Still better than Toyota.

Not just me, the entire market. The next best model sells like 10% of Model 3/Y in US.

Yeah it sells to get resold for profit or put on Turo smh….. the demand is so high the market is flooded with used Teslas everywhere.

Tesla was the only game in town and now has a bunch of legacies getting ready to pounce on their mediocre interiors and outdated design(except for the S and X), yes that includes the 1980’s inspired CT.

Yeah it sells to get resold for profit or put on Turo smh….. the demand is so high the market is flooded with used Teslas everywhere.

Tesla was the only game in town and now has a bunch of legacies getting ready to pounce on their mediocre interiors and outdated design(except for the S and X), yes that includes the 1980’s inspired CT.
Dude, I proved with data that your statement is false.

Status
Not open for further replies.