Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, I proved with data that your statement is false.

The comment about legacies about to eat Tesla's lunch always cracks me up. We've heard this for YEARS . . . and still waiting.

I drive a lot of cars for business trips . . . a LOT. The competition is just giving lip-service still, with a few notable exceptions but those are still not volume movers.

The comment about legacies about to eat Tesla's lunch always cracks me up. We've heard this for YEARS . . . and still waiting.

I drive a lot of cars for business trips . . . a LOT. The competition is just giving lip-service still, with a few notable exceptions but those are still not volume movers.

So competition equals volume? Why add notable exceptions? Hmmmm……

It always amuses me when people are offended that there is competition for precious Tesla lol …. We should all welcome the competition so Tesla can keep moving forward

Last edited:

But but but, the walls are closing in. For cereals this time.

So competition equals volume? Why add notable exceptions? Hmmmm……

Taycan is nice, but has some issues on software and (possibly) the battery - had a couple friends get these cars and all but one has had "unspecified battery work"

Mach E is nice, but a little small for my tastes. The GT trim is a big failure, they really screwed up on the battery cooling, so it can do maybe ONE full-power launch and then it limits itself. The Model Y is a far superior car in every aspect.

Everything else . . . compromises EVERYWHERE on the user experience.

If you want to know how far behind the "competition" is, go watch Sandy Munro's videos on YouTube. He's one of the best engineers of the past 50 years in the auto industry, worked for Ford for a very long long time. Has defense contracts to tear things down for the DoD and tell them how to make things better. Simply put, from his videos, it is crystal clear that Tesla innovates faster than the rest of the industry can compete. This is innovation in EVERYTHING - software, motors, battery tech, charging tech, manufacturing simplification for improved margins. NO ONE else is close, and they are not closing the gap, they are getting further behind.

The FACT of the matter, if you talk to anyone in the know in these industries - they DO NOT want to let go of their ICE manufacturing simply because they have too much invested and the financials of transitioning are enormous (fun fact - it takes at least 1B of R&D to bring a new engine to market for traditional OEMs - that's why they really only "tinker" with them and make small adjustments and keep one design for 8-10 years).

Tesla is not burdened by lots of the "old school" thinking, and more importantly all the capital investments that these companies have to get a return on. They have a clean-slate, and they are the very definition of an "industry disruptor".

Taycan is nice, but has some issues on software and (possibly) the battery - had a couple friends get these cars and all but one has had "unspecified battery work"

Mach E is nice, but a little small for my tastes. The GT trim is a big failure, they really screwed up on the battery cooling, so it can do maybe ONE full-power launch and then it limits itself. The Model Y is a far superior car in every aspect.

Everything else . . . compromises EVERYWHERE on the user experience.

If you want to know how far behind the "competition" is, go watch Sandy Munro's videos on YouTube. He's one of the best engineers of the past 50 years in the auto industry, worked for Ford for a very long long time. Has defense contracts to tear things down for the DoD and tell them how to make things better. Simply put, from his videos, it is crystal clear that Tesla innovates faster than the rest of the industry can compete. This is innovation in EVERYTHING - software, motors, battery tech, charging tech, manufacturing simplification for improved margins. NO ONE else is close, and they are not closing the gap, they are getting further behind.

The FACT of the matter, if you talk to anyone in the know in these industries - they DO NOT want to let go of their ICE manufacturing simply because they have too much invested and the financials of transitioning are enormous (fun fact - it takes at least 1B of R&D to bring a new engine to market for traditional OEMs - that's why they really only "tinker" with them and make small adjustments and keep one design for 8-10 years).

Tesla is not burdened by lots of the "old school" thinking, and more importantly all the capital investments that these companies have to get a return on. They have a clean-slate, and they are the very definition of an "industry disruptor".

Unfortunately for Tesla there is only a small percentage who get geeked out by Munro or his technical specs. No different than ICE enthusiast vs non enthusiast.

Just here in California the amount of Ionic,EV6 and Mach-E’s are increasing on a monthly basis.

Death of Tesla? No, but they aren’t the only game in town and again, those osh kosh interiors and stale exterior designs need updates….. oh and an instrument cluster behind the steering wheel

That is a whole lot of tweets between now and the end of the year.

But I'm sure threatening major companies over their adjustments to ad spending on your platform will end well.

I think this is common i.e. when liberals threaten companies with boycott and they stop advertising on *program name withheld* ... the people who support those programs run counter-boycott.

So, Elon is currently behaving like a political partisan, instead of a CEO.

ps : Probably happens the other way round too - don't know.

But the point about bots etc still holds. Nobody is going to get thousands of bots verified and pay for them.

Chinese foreign agent spending has skyrocketed from just over $10 million in 2016 to nearly $64 million last year.

Even a mere 1 million is 125,000 blue checkmarks.

1668047103713.png

But the point about bots etc still holds. Nobody is going to get thousands of bots verified and pay for them.
Does this matter at all if the vast majority of human users don't pay the $8? Or will people be required to pay $8 in order to tweet? I agree that a user fee might help Twitter's bottom line but I don't see how it fixes or ameliorates the bot problem.

After his very unpopular suggestion that Ukraine capitulate to Russia, Elon claimed that a large number of votes against his idea were from bots. Was he joking or just kinda clueless? Is there a difference between "fixing the bot problem" and "eliminating dissent"?

Speaking of bots. Twitter's bot counting methodology seems valid. They manually check 1,000 random accounts every quarter which provides good statistics. AFAIK, no one, not even Elon, has suggested a better method. I don't visit Twitter often (mostly by following links from TMC) but I don't see a lot of obvious bots. Is this really such a big problem or is it just something Elon made up to try to back out of the deal?

Even a mere 1 million is 125,000 blue checkmarks.
Will they be able to continuously get around whatever measures Twitter will put to catch false verifications ?

It's not a write the code once and forget it. It will be a continuous fight.

BTW, your $1M is per month ....

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Will they be able to continuously get around whatever measures Twitter will put to catch false verifications ?

It's not a write the code once and forget it. It will be a continuous fight.

BTW, your $1M is per month ....

Sure it's per month.

Which means China could afford to do it for 64 months out of every 12. At just the amount they were spending 2 years ago- and they've increased spending massively year over year.

Not to mention what Russia has spent, which is allegedly much higher each year.

Plus, of course, as BitJam notes, unless a LARGE percentage of users go blue checkmark, the bots will happily keep pounding away with tons of free accounts too

(I mean, really, even if more than half of real users go blue checkmark, they'll STILL pound away with free bots, because the marginal cost of them is nearly zero)

Reactions: BitJam
Status
Not open for further replies.