Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a slippery slope. Tesla supporters should not be tainting other car companies like this on Twitter. They should just ignore Alyssa Milano. VW’s emission cheating scandal is fair game but bringing up things that happened almost a century ago that have been acknowledged and litigated is unnecessary. It’s in no one’s best interest

The diesel cheating scandal on the other hand didn’t happen a century ago. It’s pretty recent and is still causing deaths. That doesn’t seem to bother Alyssa Milano. At the moment it’s en vogue in certain circles to bash Elon and apparently Alyssa has fallen victim to that trend (which is a shame as I had a crush on her when I was younger).

The diesel cheating scandal on the other hand didn’t happen a century ago. It’s pretty recent and is still causing deaths. That doesn’t seem to bother Alyssa Milano. At the moment it’s en vogue in certain circles to bash Elon and apparently Alyssa has fallen victim to that trend (which is a shame as I had a crush on her when I was younger).
Add to that Porsche was also caught cheating emissions. It's all in the family as they say.

This is a slippery slope. Tesla supporters should not be tainting other car companies like this on Twitter. They should just ignore Alyssa Milano. VW’s emission cheating scandal is fair game but bringing up things that happened almost a century ago that have been acknowledged and litigated is unnecessary. It’s in no one’s best interest
This was not a dunk on vw at all, buy a dunk on people who tries to virtual signal using their car purchase decisions but couldn't even do it right...lol.

The point regarding Milano is that most of those outside the Tesla community are far more aware and concerned about Twitter. Some of them are paying attention to Milano and the reason she traded in her Tesla car. Many of them conflate Musk's involvement in Twitter and politics, with Tesla cars and stock. The media gladly keep stirring the frenzy to gain clicks.

In the background, there is the ressentiment felt by many toward the rich, especially the billionaires. Interestingly, we don’t resent the royal family, nor do we resent people who win the lottery. We resent people who earned their riches. Why? Because when we see someone who has done so much better than us, that reflects badly on us. That’s the real sin. Lottery winners don’t reflect badly on us, since everyone knows they just got lucky.

So we make up stories about how the rich are bad. We’re glad we’re not rich like them, since we wouldn’t want to be as immoral as those billionaires. We never wanted those sour grapes.

Bill Gates, to take another example, has probably saved literally millions of lives with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. (How many lives have you saved?) His reward for this is to have people making up conspiracy theories about him on the internet, about how he’s trying to “depopulate” the world using nefarious vaccines that have microchips embedded in them. (The Bill Gates Population Control Conspiracy Theories Have A Long, Bizarre History) If, instead of trying to save people from diseases, he’d just taken his billions and retired on a private island, there wouldn’t be those conspiracy theories about him. Again, we (or the craziest among us) are creating social incentives for people not to try to help humanity.

We’re doing that because when we hear about someone doing enormous good, instead of being happy that that is happening, we are subconsciously resentful that that person is making us look bad by being better than us. We know we’re not that good, so we don’t want to believe anyone else is, and so we refuse to believe it. That’s how crappy humans are.

I was thinking today after Elon’s post about Uthred from The Last Kingdom show when he retweeted the Memes about Uthred trying to do the good thing but being treated as traitor. I think Elon is trying to be the rightful king of Twitter trying to make the right calls by posting polls to reinstate banned accounts and give people a second chance.

it might fail, he might do mistakes but he might be trying to do what he thinks is the right thing to do.

might not only be negative

I was thinking today after Elon’s post about Uthred from The Last Kingdom show when he retweeted the Memes about Uthred trying to do the good thing but being treated as traitor. I think Elon is trying to be the rightful king of Twitter trying to make the right calls by posting polls to reinstate banned accounts and give people a second chance.

it might fail, he might do mistakes but he might be trying to do what he thinks is the right thing to do.

A fair and balanced take. I’m more optimistic.

That was a good show! Gonna have to read that tweet now.

In the background, there is the ressentiment felt by many toward the rich, especially the billionaires. Interestingly, we don’t resent the royal family, nor do we resent people who win the lottery. We resent people who earned their riches. Why? Because when we see someone who has done so much better than us, that reflects badly on us. That’s the real sin. Lottery winners don’t reflect badly on us, since everyone knows they just got lucky.

So we make up stories about how the rich are bad. We’re glad we’re not rich like them, since we wouldn’t want to be as immoral as those billionaires. We never wanted those sour grapes.

Bill Gates, to take another example, has probably saved literally millions of lives with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. (How many lives have you saved?) His reward for this is to have people making up conspiracy theories about him on the internet, about how he’s trying to “depopulate” the world using nefarious vaccines that have microchips embedded in them. (The Bill Gates Population Control Conspiracy Theories Have A Long, Bizarre History) If, instead of trying to save people from diseases, he’d just taken his billions and retired on a private island, there wouldn’t be those conspiracy theories about him. Again, we (or the craziest among us) are creating social incentives for people not to try to help humanity.

We’re doing that because when we hear about someone doing enormous good, instead of being happy that that is happening, we are subconsciously resentful that that person is making us look bad by being better than us. We know we’re not that good, so we don’t want to believe anyone else is, and so we refuse to believe it. That’s how crappy humans are.
I disagree with this. People dislike and fear influence, not wealth. Many people have a lot of wealth and very few detractors. It’s the ones who wield it in an influential way that draw attention/conspiracy theories/ire.

Elon Musk called up the chief executives of companies that pulled advertising spending from Twitter to complain, the Financial Times reported.

A number of leading media buyers and advertising agencies say that almost all the major brands they act for have stopped ad spending on Twitter, the report said.

Musk took it upon himself to personally call CEOs to chastise them, one industry figure told the FT, but his actions have backfired, the newspaper reported.

You expected he wouldn’t try?
Complaining isn't the right strategy. Having an adult conversation is fine. The article makes it sound like he was petulant.

Screenshot_20221127-185737.png

• Disagree
Reactions: Spacep0d
People dislike and fear influence, not wealth. Many people have a lot of wealth and very few detractors. It’s the ones who wield it in an influential way that draw attention/conspiracy theories/ire.
Is this true? Who has a lot of influence except Elon? I googled, this was the list I found.

Here is the full list of the world’s 100 most influential people of 2022:

TITANS
  • Gautam Adani
  • Tim Cook
  • Oprah Winfrey
  • Christine Lagarde
  • Michelle Yeoh
  • Kris Jenner
  • Andy Jassy
  • Sally Rooney
  • Hwang Dong-hyuk
  • Sam Bankman-Fried
  • Megan Rapinoe, Becky Sauerbrunn, and Alex Morgan
  • Elizabeth Alexander
  • David Zaslav
LEADERS

• Karuna Nundy
  • Khurram Parvez
  • Mia Mottley
  • Volodymyr Zelenskyy
  • Ketanji Brown Jackson
  • Joe Rogan
  • Xi Jinping
  • Ursula von der Leyen
  • Ron DeSantis
  • Joe Biden
  • Yoon Suk-yeol
  • Vladimir Putin
  • Olaf Scholz
  • Samia Suluhu Hassan
  • Kevin McCarthy
  • Abiy Ahmed
  • Kyrsten Sinema
  • Gabriel Boric
  • Letitia James
  • Valeriy Zaluzhnyy
  • Lynn Fitch
  • Umar Ata Bandial
  • Sun Chunlan
INNOVATORS

• Zendaya
  • Taika Waititi
  • Miranda Lambert
  • Derrick Palmer and Chris Smalls
  • Josh Wardle
  • Michelle Zauner
  • Demna
  • Timnit Gebru
  • Mike Cannon-Brookes
  • Bela Bajaria
  • Sevgil Musaieva
  • Francis Kéré
  • David Vélez
  • Michael Schatz
  • Karen Miga
  • Evan Eichler
  • Adam Phillippy
ARTISTS

• Simu Liu
  • Andrew Garfield
  • Zoë Kravitz
  • Sarah Jessica Parker
  • Amanda Seyfried
  • Quinta Brunson
  • Pete Davidson
  • Channing Tatum
  • Nathan Chen
  • Mila Kunis
  • Jeremy Strong
  • Faith Ringgold
  • Ariana DeBose
  • Jazmine Sullivan
  • Michael R. Jackson
ICONS

• Mary J. Blige
  • Dmitry Muratov
  • Issa Rae
  • Keanu Reeves
  • Adele
  • Rafael Nadal
  • Maya Lin
  • Jon Batiste
  • Nadine Smith
  • Peng Shuai
  • Hoda Khamosh
PIONEERS

• Candace Parker
  • Sonia Guajajara
  • Valérie Masson-Delmotte and Panmao Zhai
  • Nan Goldin
  • Cristina Villarreal Velásquez and Ana Cristina González Vélez
  • Frances Haugen
  • Stephane Bancel
  • Eileen Gu
  • Mazen Darwish and Anwar Al Bunni
  • Gregory L. Robinson
  • Ahmir ‘Questlove’ Thompson
  • Emily Oster
  • Tulio de Oliveira and Sikhulile Moyo
  • Emmett Schelling

Do we fear these people? Imo not really. I myself am a strong believer of mimetic theory and I believe it explains a lot of the strong resentment people feel towards Elon. It can be explained because he feels a lot like us, a normal person who is successful and is getting all that attention for things he is doing. Also he is little bit weird and awkward with his asperger and nerdiness, so he becomes a great scapegoating target:

Status
Not open for further replies.