Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lmao, you don't think the way it was written was intentional???

Bingo - it could have easily been written - "Elon Musk personally called the CEOs of companies that have paused their advertising campaigns to assess their concerns and reassure them of the future of Twitter."

The bias of the MSM is so blatant now that they don't even try to hide it.

EDIT - the FACT is that we don't know the exact wording, and tone, of those conversations.

Is this true? Who has a lot of influence except Elon? I googled, this was the list I found.

Similarly with the world's billionaires, you can employ confirmation bias to make anything "seem" right. These people aren't all shunned, either. I just really don't buy that it has anything to do with "they worked hard so it makes people feel bad." First, we don't live in a meritocracy as much as we think we do, so that alone invalidates the theory to some degree. Second, the whole reason the false concept of meritocracy exists is because we admire hard work and results. Most good movies have an underlying puritanical "hard work leads to good outcomes" theme. We adore work ethic. So I just don't subscribe to the hypothesis presented.

Similarly with the world's billionaires, you can employ confirmation bias to make anything "seem" right. These people aren't all shunned, either. I just really don't buy that it has anything to do with "they worked hard so it makes people feel bad." First, we don't live in a meritocracy as much as we think we do, so that alone invalidates the theory to some degree. Second, the whole reason the false concept of meritocracy exists is because we admire hard work and results. Most good movies have an underlying puritanical "hard work leads to good outcomes" theme. We adore work ethic. So I just don't subscribe to the hypothesis presented.
Not sure if that articles proves anything. Yes, there are many factors, but good workers tend to have better outcomes than bad workers. And with good and bad I mean with how much value they create on the market. Then there is a question of how strong the correlation is. On some imaginary scale, I feel confident that r≥0 and would guesstimate r=0.6-0.8. Which is good enough for me to classify it as meritocratic.

Elon got rich not because of luck, but by being an extremely good worker for a long time, which did create chances for taking extreme risks with extreme rewards, that he later capitalized on. Exactly how much is luck and skill is unclear, but imo it seems pretty obvious to me that Elon and Bill both had skillz in abundance, their aptitudes were a few sigmas off the mean in their relevant domains and they worked long hours at a very high capacity. Then maybe they got lucky with being in the right place at the right time, but I think I couldn't have accomplished what they did if I had their luck with my worse skillz.

I know some people feel different, than me about this, but I feel that I live in a mostly meritocratic market. With governments, rulers etc I feel differently, but with the market I generally believe that if you perform well(according to the market) you will be rewarded. And Elon and Gates did this in abundance. They worked hard, were clever, managed to produce products that scaled to reach many people who found that they produced a large value to them. Thus they got rewarded big time. Seems pretty meritocratic to me.

I think the idea is quickly forming that under Elon - Twitter is banning what alt-right perceives to be their ideological adversaries. Given Elon keeps tweeting "anti-woke" messages, it only strengthens the perception. If Elon wants Twitter to be seen as standing for "free speech" he needs to be seen as neutral. Not seemingly in complete agreement with alt-right provocateurs.

For eg. not sure why this is flagged. Scholar studying history of slavery. Because the handle has "woke" in it ?

This one ... no idea.

I have no idea why he keeps using alt-right slurs - "woke mind virus". What exactly is that ... I guess in 18th century they would have called abolition of slavery "woke mind virus".

Not sure if that articles proves anything. Yes, there are many factors, but good workers tend to have better outcomes than bad workers. And with good and bad I mean with how much value they create on the market. Then there is a question of how strong the correlation is. On some imaginary scale, I feel confident that r≥0 and would guesstimate r=0.6-0.8. Which is good enough for me to classify it as meritocratic.

Elon got rich not because of luck, but by being an extremely good worker for a long time, which did create chances for taking extreme risks with extreme rewards, that he later capitalized on. Exactly how much is luck and skill is unclear, but imo it seems pretty obvious to me that Elon and Bill both had skillz in abundance, their aptitudes were a few sigmas off the mean in their relevant domains and they worked long hours at a very high capacity. Then maybe they got lucky with being in the right place at the right time, but I think I couldn't have accomplished what they did if I had their luck with my worse skillz.

I know some people feel different, than me about this, but I feel that I live in a mostly meritocratic market. With governments, rulers etc I feel differently, but with the market I generally believe that if you perform well(according to the market) you will be rewarded. And Elon and Gates did this in abundance. They worked hard, were clever, managed to produce products that scaled to reach many people who found that they produced a large value to them. Thus they got rewarded big time. Seems pretty meritocratic to me.
Don't really disagree except about how Gates is framed. He was lucky. He bought DOS for pennies and literally "FLIPPED" it to IBM who had no clue that Bill and MS didn't write the code for DOS. This was then parlayed into a UI they stole from Jobs whom stole that from Zerox, lmao. I don't think Gates gets to be on the same level as Elon. In his formative MS years, the guy was totally CUTHROAT. There's a large list of competitors that Gates devoured or sued into oblivion. It's not common knowledge these days, but gdamn, being in IT back then, *sugar* I remember MS for what it is.

Don't really disagree except about how Gates is framed. He was lucky. He bought DOS for pennies and literally "FLIPPED" it to IBM who had no clue that Bill and MS didn't write the code for DOS. This was then parlayed into a UI they stole from Jobs whom stole that from Zerox, lmao. I don't think Gates gets to be on the same level as Elon. In his formative MS years, the guy was totally CUTHROAT. There's a large list of competitors that Gates devoured or sued into oblivion. It's not common knowledge these days, but gdamn, being in IT back then, *sugar* I remember MS for what it is.

294D5AEF-78A6-4CDA-B21A-073EC429F3D5.gif

Exactly, I mean *sugar* is so bad it's even in the Simpsons. If it's in the Simpsons, you know the *sugar* is real!

Anyone ever read the stuff from the US vs MS in 1998? It's hilarious reading. Gates is a total asshole.

MOD: A poster-child post as to why this thread is open only with a hair trigger/Damocletian sword atop it. More like that and posts not only get deleted, but posters get banned and the thread may again be shut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bingo - it could have easily been written - "Elon Musk personally called the CEOs of companies that have paused their advertising campaigns to assess their concerns and reassure them of the future of Twitter."

The bias of the MSM is so blatant now that they don't even try to hide it.

EDIT - the FACT is that we don't know the exact wording, and tone, of those conversations.
The actual FT article makes it a lot more clear and is not as open to interpretation:
"Musk, meanwhile, has sought to personally call chief executives of some brands that have curbed advertising in order to berate them, according to one senior industry figure, leading others to instead reduce their spend to the bare minimum required so as to avoid further confrontation with the billionaire entrepreneur."
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Couldn't remember if this was the exact incident (I recall him calling up an executive of another company before for something else but can't find it at the moment) and the circumstances were different for the incidents below, but being rude on the phone is pretty on brand for Elon:
Elon Musk Has Terrible Phone Etiquette, Hangs Up on NTSB Chief

The account also matches well with what he publicly said anyways in regards how he wants companies pulling their ads from Twitter to be treated:

Last edited:
The actual FT article makes it a lot more clear and is not as open to interpretation:
"Musk, meanwhile, has sought to personally call chief executives of some brands that have curbed advertising in order to berate them, according to one senior industry figure, leading others to instead reduce their spend to the bare minimum required so as to avoid further confrontation with the billionaire entrepreneur."

Who is said "figure"?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
On the TMC Podcast we have covered Elon and Twitter, though we try to avoid the political aspects of the whole Twitter thing. Here is a short clip from a recent podcast which I figure I might as well share in what has essentially become the Twitter thread on TMC:

We try to avoid the politics of this subject as it usually just leads to people talking past each other. I mean, so many try to argue with others who have different definitions and opinions of what many politically charged words even mean. If we can't agree on what words mean, then we can't really get anywhere with such discussions. Most of mainstream news is simply them telling us what the "other side" thinks instead of simply asking them, thereby acting as middlemen giving us the worst version possible, which just polarizes people further.

On the TMC Podcast we have covered Elon and Twitter, though we try to avoid the political aspects of the whole Twitter thing. Here is a short clip from a recent podcast which I figure I might as well share in what has essentially become the Twitter thread on TMC:

We try to avoid the politics of this subject as it usually just leads to people talking past each other. I mean, so many try to argue with others who have different definitions and opinions of what many politically charged words even mean. If we can't agree on what words mean, then we can't really get anywhere with such discussions. Most of mainstream news is simply them telling us what the "other side" thinks instead of simply asking them, thereby acting as middlemen giving us the worst version possible, which just polarizes people further.

Good take on the bloat that was going on at Twitter.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Who is said "figure"?
Most media protects their sources when they don't want to speak on the record for obvious reasons. That doesn't mean they are necessarily lying or making it up however. I see a lot of people above shooting the messenger and claiming media bias simply because the account is not positive, but note FT gave Elon Person of the Year for 2021:
They also got an exclusive interview that was widely quoted (mostly for the part about Taiwan):
People may claim MSM puts Elon in a negative light recently, but FT is not one of them.

Last edited:
I think the idea is quickly forming that under Elon - Twitter is banning what alt-right perceives to be their ideological adversaries.
That is a perception.

An alterative explanation is that they are casting a wide net on hate speech, and catching some of the wrong fish.

Perhaps engaging with the hate speech posters is enough to get accidentally caught, the computer algorithm is suboptimal etc,

If this is reported to Elon and he condones the banning of these posters, or declines to take no action, that is definite evidence.

Buying Twitter to silence a few people most of us have never heard of seems unlikely to me,

Banning people on Twitter doesn't stop them speaking up or speaking out elsewhere.

IMO it is unlikely that Elon is publicly encouraging people to engage in debate and then secretly banning them so they can't.

Employees deciding who to ban, and making incorrect or ideological decisions is possible,

I very much doubt Elon himself is personally banning anyone, I also doubt he knows who is being banned on any given day.
He should have more important issues to work on.

Calling for civil debate is optimistic, that is the problem, it is unlikely to be civil.

Last edited:
That is a perception.

An alterative explanation is that they are casting a wide net on hate speech, and catching some of the wrong fish.

Perhaps engaging with the hate speech posters is enough to get accidentally caught, the computer algorithm is suboptimal etc,

If this is reported to Elon and he condones the banning of these posters, or declines to take no action, that is definite evidence.

Buying Twitter to silence a few people most of us have never heard of seems unlikely to me,

Banning people on Twitter doesn't stop them speaking up or speaking out elsewhere.

IMO it is unlikely that Elon is publicly encouraging people to engage in debate and then secretly banning them so they can't.

Employees deciding who to ban, and making incorrect or ideological decisions is possible,

I very much doubt Elon himself is personally banning anyone, I also doubt he knows who is being banned on any given day.

Calling for civil debate is optimistic, that is the problem, it will is unlikely to be civil.
I think it's easier to tell next week. If it's a uniform reset that is one thing. If certain accounts remains banned and ones from the other side are freed that's another thing.

It’ll probably depend what regime they were banned under, as well it should.
Was already discussed previously. If it is true that the rules would be changed as promised (up to now Twitter is still operating using preexisting rules), it should not depend on which "regime" it was banned under, given all bans up to now are still under the previous "regime." If however, the rules remain the same, then that may be a different story.

I think you are selling gates short. He wrote GORILLA.BAS one of the greatest games of all times!

Elon to me is like a guy with a wound that can't stop picking at it, so it won't heal, but then proceeds to blame everyone else for it not healing. From the time he started dabbling in and showing his true colors when it came to politics, he began a downward spiral, losing the respect of those that admired him and gaining enemies along the way. Whatever he's dealing with now with twitter is his own doing.

That is a perception.

Calling for civil debate is optimistic, that is the problem, it is unlikely to be civil.

How would you explain the multiple documented bannings of Jan 6 investigators and antifa personalities while at the same time their polar opposites are specifically manually re-instated? It sure doesn't look like anyone is enforcing a uniform code of conduct vs just favoring one political slant which was what Elon claimed he was there to get rid of...

Status
Not open for further replies.