Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon says Fremont is moving to Mejico….

Actual story content says nothing of the sort of course

The actual story said:
The Mexican Gigafactory, planned on the outskirts of the city Monterrey, would start by building components for current Tesla models, a source told Reforma, later possibly building a new model at a lower cost than other factories.

So really that reads more like "Will build components to ship to nearby GigaTexas to go into the vehicles to be built in Texas....and may eventually be used to make an entirely new model (likely the non-china-made version of what eventual small car)"--- so nothing to do with Fremont either way really.

It would be amazing to watch MAGA buy non American made Teslas just to “own the libs”

The article doesn’t say it, but we all know where this is going.
wouldnt suprise me as a knee jerk action/yet another major decision probably not fully thought out.
I mean, its the same guy who built a factory in a state that wont even allow his product to be sold...in that state. 🤣

LOL. Its like he's INCAPABLE of stopping for just like...even a day. Sit down with a trusted leader/friend/confidant, etc. And saying "what do you think of this idea."

Instead, he immediately tweets it as policy...then backtracks.

Like when he immediately fired too many employees at twitter...then had to beg for some back. My avatar of him is SO appropriate. LOL

wouldnt suprise me as a knee jerk action/yet another major decision probably not fully thought out.
I mean, its the same guy who built a factory in a state that wont even allow his product to be sold...in that state. 🤣

I mean, I see it happening. He will say that he is tired of the liberals in Fremont and move on to Mexico.

I mean, I see it happening. He will say that he is tired of the liberals in Fremont and move on to Mexico.

It's true that it's very expensive to be any business in California.

But, the question is will all the advanced degrees/MS/PhD jobs move? Is that in Texas now?

I think for a lot of folks here, if you already own your home, it'll be hard to move to another place if you locked in at a at very low property price in CA with prop 13. Even in Texas, some folks posted they were paying $40k-$60k property taxes?

And we know what Elon thinks about remote work.

More power to folks who can drop everything and go wherever their boss/job demands.

I think this Mexico thing is just a plant, but would it qualify for new IRA tax credits?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC

But, the question is will all the advanced degrees/MS/PhD jobs move? Is that in Texas now?

I think for a lot of folks here, if you already own your home, it'll be hard to move to another place if you locked in at a at very low property price in CA with prop 13. Even in Texas, some folks posted they were paying $40k-$60k property taxes?

More power to folks who can drop everything and go wherever their boss/job demands.

I think this Mexico thing is just a plant, but would it qualify for new IRA tax credits?
Not to mention MORTGAGE rates are over 100% higher than most ppls mortgages may be today. Housing prices in Bay Area are down 10-20% depending on area and quintile, many ppl would not want to sell in a down market, even buying a cheaper home in Texas and paying signifanctly more in mortgage interest just to move.

In Texas, with no state income tax they gotta make it up somewhere. And property is what gets taxed more.

would be hilarious to see a large % of value chain for Tesla's coming from Mexico - including potential assembly - and seeing what bretzel some fanbois have to twist themselves into after proudly claiming for years that Tesla's sold in the US are the MOST american made vehicles on the road and talking smack about the competition for being made in mexico... i personally would like to see more US made but imho the biggest problem with Tesla's isn't where they are assembled and more so the very inconsistent QC which seems to occur in Fremont / Austin and after some reports also in Berlin...

The mission has always been to sell cars and make Elon Musk Rich. All this talk about climate change and EV’s are nonsense for Elon. He couldn’t break into the Legacy Auto World so he found the best alternative: buy himself in to a product that looked promising, kick the founders out, build his cult who would never find fault in him, profit??
Sorry, but no. Tesla had nothing but an idea when Elon bought in, the same idea he and JB had. Elon was already rich and could have found much easier ways to make more money than trying to make an EV startup company and a rocket company work. I'm not happy with most of Elon's recent actions but lets not try and rewrite history.

So a company that is production constrained and has a target production volume that is 10x the current rate should shut down a profitable high volume factory?

Doesn't seem to be a very logical way to read the announcement of a new factory.

• Helpful

Um, if this is "Spam", why does it ONLY apply to mentioning or promoting competing platforms? Are all other forms of promotion perfectly ok and just those that annoy Elon are "spam"?

Twitter is a private board, so they can be as discriminatory and anti-competitive as they like... but the justification is bogus, and once again we're running dead-opposite Elon's promise of Free Speech.

Sorry, but no. Tesla had nothing but an idea when Elon bought in, the same idea he and JB had. Elon was already rich and could have found much easier ways to make more money than trying to make an EV startup company and a rocket company work. I'm not happy with most of Elon's recent actions but lets not try and rewrite history.

What’s there to rewrite. Musk is and has always been a mouthpiece with money. He’s being exposed right in front of our eyes. Musk is a fraud with money

Vehicle must be manufactured in the USMCA countries.
$3.75k: Battery components must be manufactured in the USMCA countries.
$3.75k: Critical minerals extracted or processed (or recycled) in USMCA countries or any other country with which the USA has a free trade agreement. Percentage requirement gradually increases.

• Helpful
Even if that were true, and it isn’t.

We probably wouldn’t even have a Bolt as an option today if not for Tesla coming in and reviving the BEV market by making it exciting and appealing to more than just climate zealots.
mmmh... "GM started producing the Bolt in October 2016, and the vehicle made it to dealerships not long after in markets with ZEV mandates first, like California. " Chevy Bolt EV Archives

the Bolt wasn't launched as an answer to Tesla but to have a product for ZEV markets... heck - Bolt development started in 2012 at GM Korea ... so way before the Model 3 and around of Model S launch

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
Status
Not open for further replies.